33 coaches online • Server time: 09:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I can safely say that I would never willingly play a match with someone like the OP; simply because the chat is there for a reason, sometimes you genuinely need to communicate something important to the other coach. If I know the other coach won't read the other message, I see no reason to consider playing a match against such a coach.

I'm also pretty sure that somewhere in the site rules it should mention somewhere that communicating with other players is important? I'm far too lazy to look it up, but you'd think something along those lines would be in there...
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

With the possibility of no chat, I might as well play AI. I've been playing BB since 1989. The game is made to have a pair of people conversing. This isn't a video game. It's a board game, that with the magic of software lets two people from different parts of the world play. Anyone that wants no Chat, is acting the same way as the whiners. Please just get over it and play.

Jeffro
Rags

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes I remind opponents that Blood Bowl is not just a dice game like craps, it's also actually a simulation. It's a simulation of fantasy football, which is impossible and silly, but it's simulation nonetheless in the same sense Risk or FIFA 2010 are simulations.

The dice represent performance. Sometimes players and teams play very well, doing everything that's expected of them and sometimes they play spectacularly, doing more than could be reasonably expected of them. But sometimes they play poorly or spectacularly badly, repeatedly blowing the most basic moves. The least competitive games are when one side plays a blinder and the other plays a stinker.

I try not to whine at all any more, but if I really must comment, I comment on the performance or player rather than the dice. Like - 'what a clown' when my elf blows 2+ RR dodge and smashes his collar bone.

Some coaches like this perspective, which can put a bit of fluff and even fun on moaning. I think it keeps with the spirit in which the game is written, with collar bone fluff attached to -1 ST.

So basically, my suggestion is if you must whinge - fluff it!
Rags

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
Hello. I am new, but I'm not a nice person. My main problem with blood bowl is that there's another person also playing it. Now, random forum peoples, help me solve my problem, preferably without talking to me.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
I appreciate all the impartial advice about covering the chat box. Notepad is glaringly obvious to me now it's mentioned, but It didn't occur to me before, as I'm not in the common habit of hiding windows. The issue is solved for me now. Thank you. I won't write any more after this.

mrt1212 wrote:

Look, whether you like it or not, the perception of other people (especially so in a social game like BB) matters. Now there's no shame in admitting you're not a people person (I freely admit I'm the most chatty anti-social person in the world), that you find them beneath you, that they should feel guilty for not being on your level but...

You come off as anti-social and defiantly so and I am sincerely asking you to consider the gap between what you think you're saying and what we think you're saying.

There's an old joke I'll paraphrase: if you run into a jerk once in a while maybe the world has a handful of jerks. if everyone you run into is a jerk, you're one of the handful.

All I've written throughout is that I am uninterested in writing to people in the chat box, and I've tried to explain why in my 'about' section. In my eyes that makes me less anti social than just ignoring every one I play. Although intrinsically this seems to offend, I haven't directly been rude or attacking about it at any point. Yet there are quite a few posters that have been attacking towards me. For example, In this post you have indirectly stated I'm a jerk. I've read another thread as well, where the same group who seem to think they are comedic genius', attack any one not adhering to their cultural values. This happens commonly in many microcultures. It is foolish.

- There are no rules that state Blood Bowl must be social. I don't lack social gratification in my day to day life, so I don't need to chat to some stranger I probably won't like.
- The perception/opinions of average people are based upon limited, often skewed or deluded variables that have no basis in objectivity. Like for example your opinions in this paragraph. Therefore it really is pointless for me to try to "consider the gap between what you think you're saying and what we think you're saying".
- There are definitely more than a handful of 'jerks' if the definition is 'a contemptibly foolish person' as per a quick google search. So according to some retarded 'joke' backwards logic, I must be foolish because I consider many people foolish.
- I'm quite happy for foolish people to think I'm a 'jerk'. Can you see how it's just a better outcome for every one if I just don't write?

It's a board game. It's designed to be a social experiance. Nuf said.

DLE College 7s
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I might as well play AI.

I recently tried the old PSP version, and I hope you don't mean that for real.

I recently played you, and I really hope you don't mean that.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

- There are no rules that state Blood Bowl must be social. I don't lack social gratification in my day to day life, so I don't need to chat to some stranger I probably won't like.

You shouldn't be timing someone out if they have said they are AFK. That is against the rules.

It is called communication. It doesn't mean that you have to get married.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Desultory wrote:

You shouldn't be timing someone out if they have said they are AFK. That is against the rules.

It is called communication. It doesn't mean that you have to get married.

Damn it K! You mean I've wasted three years trying to find a potential Mrs. Throweck?!?

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you greet people when you meet them in real life?
Assuming you do that, why should you not do the same in online games?

Why should I in online games, OR in real life. Or why should I do anything. Or why do people feel the need to tell me or anyone that they should do something or not do something, when it is completely subjective, and especially when it has relatively little importance.

Online games are actually considered anti-social in themselves by some people. It's a wholly different interaction so comparing the two seems like a fallacy to me.

thoralf wrote:
Desultory wrote:
There are no rules that state Blood Bowl must be social.

I don't see the relevance of this argument. The notion of a social rule is moot, but if someone tells you something and you don't talk back, something's amiss and that something can even be found in any good manual, except perhaps this one.

Desultory wrote:
I don't need to chat to some stranger I probably won't like. The perception/opinions of average people are based upon limited, often skewed or deluded variables that have no basis in objectivity.

The first sentence confirms the second, yet the argument made in the second undoes the argument made in the first.

I realise you are trying to be clever here, but I'm pretty sure you haven't been.

I don't like writing because I get drawn in to these type of debates. If I replied after everything someone 'told me', much more would be amiss.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:
I might as well play AI.

I recently tried the old PSP version, and I hope you don't mean that for real.

I recently played you, and I really hope you don't mean that.

No, I didn't mean that, but I wanted to show that if you want to play in Chat Silence, the game becomes much worse.

Jeffro
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

Why should I in online games, OR in real life. Or why should I do anything. Or why do people feel the need to tell me or anyone that they should do something or not do something, when it is completely subjective, and especially when it has relatively little importance.

Online games are actually considered anti-social in themselves by some people. It's a wholly different interaction so comparing the two seems like a fallacy to me.

Honestly, Desultory, if you tell us you're on the spectrum or have Asperger's we will completely understand. Some, many of fellow Fumbblrs do and it's helpful to inform other people so conversations don't go to shit with misunderstandings. The insistence on only caring about objective things while not caring at all about subjective things, the reliance on processing everything overtly on logical terms - even something as simple as conveying 'that's like your opinion dude', not understanding the term 'jerk' and googling it...you really come off as 'different'. And that's okay, but throw us a bone, it's killing some of us that you either don't care or don't realize that your own words make you an unsympathetic character at best, and a malignant social persona at worst.
Desultory

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm either evil, or have Aspergers. Seems likely.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

Who said anything about evil? Simply being self righteously anti-social doens't make one evil, not by a long shot.

Have you ever wondered why you process things the way you do, why other people perceive you the way they do, and why you use the same rhetorical devices about objectivity and subjectivity to provide an excusable framework for your behavior?

It might be a benefit to do some personal exploration although I'm sure that this will fall on deaf ears since you clearly think you have everything about yourself and other people figured out.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
Look, I'm not gonna mince words here, or anything of the sort.

There is a reason the chat exists, because Blood Bowl is a game that takes 2 people. Real Life exists, and it's more important than this game. If something comes up and I need to leave my PC for any reason during a match, it's just common courtesy to let my opponent know.

That said, you have flat out stated that you ignore chat, to the point you cover it up. Your profile states you'll time out anyone who exceeds the turn time limit. These 2 things do not mesh, AT ALL, especially in an online, turn based game.

If I were playing you and had an emergency AFK, and was timed out, I'd be extremely pissed. Generally, if I need an AFK, I let my opponent know. However, if you time me out while AFK (especially if I've mentioned it in the chat) then you are breaking site rules, as well as being a complete douche canoe.

Realize, this site, this game, this world, none of these things revolve around you. Honestly, I think you'd do better on Blood Bowl 2, where you can play the AI and not have to interact with other people. From where I sit, that seems to be the issue, you don't like, or want to interact with other people. And frankly, if you aren't playing in Black Box, you've pretty much guaranteed that most coaches on this site will not accept a match with you. Hell, even Black Box will be hard for you to get a match in with that attitude. I know plenty of coaches that keep a "blacklist" in their friends section, just to know NOT to activate for box, and I'm fairly certain your name may be one that will appear on many such lists.

It all boils down to this simply:
If you feel everyone is an idiot/jerk/etc. but you, then chances are your perception of the world is skewed, and the real idiot/jerk/etc. is you.

This entire thread, you've come off as an antisocial dick. There's nothing wrong with that, but you have to understand you alienate a LOT of people with your attitude. We all come here to play a game and have fun, but with your attitude, I don't think anyone would have fun with you as an opponent. Just think about it for a moment.

Desultory wrote:
I don't need to chat to some stranger I probably won't like.

And this right here is the root of your problem. You assume you won't like anyone, and so, you're a dick to everyone.

Desultory wrote:
The perception/opinions of average people are based upon limited, often skewed or deluded variables that have no basis in objectivity.

You fall into that category of "average person" mind you, and yet here in this thread, you've proven that this statement is more a direct reflection of you than it is of anyone else who has posted. You are of the opinion/perception that you're not going to like anyone here, and so you proactively assume we're not worth your time. That makes you a dick, and not worth our time.

I wouldn't normally suggest someone leave Fumbbl, but quite frankly, you should leave this site. It's painfully obvious you don't want to be here.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

What is wrong with the entirety of Fumbbl's player base that there isn't one likable person among us that is up to the standards of Desultory? Don't shower enough? Too much? What!?!?
 Jump to: