10 coaches online • Server time: 06:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

I like to play in the range where my own skill still matters.

This is somewhat preposterous.

There's also little skill involved in some games at even TV, simply because potentially the ages of the teams involved have allowed one team to develop in a manner the other has no answer for. That very reason is why we have rookie protection in box, but it doesn't prevent lopsided match-ups (in terms of skills, statfreaks or even just skill spread) at any TV, even assuming for absolutely matched TV.

Now, I know that this is "the nature of the box" (or any other blind match-maker relying on TV) and this isn't a complaint, but when you've played a team for 30+ games, and have selectively got the skills you want on the positionals you want, kept the fodder low-skilled/dead, and taken all steps to move towards a trimmed, lean and mean team... can you really claim that your "skill" is truly having a massive influence on the game if you end up drawing a team that's on its 9th game, or even less (which is entirely possible)? This is without even minmaxing.

I've had teams lineup for their first game vs several game old opposition who have multiple blodgers. We've all seen mng'd to hell skaven turn up with a natural one turner at a stupidly low tv. And even beyond extremes like that, the simplicity of being able to play a team for many games and frontload all skills onto certain players while your opponent has only played enough to take what they get...

TV-based match-making may ensure a lot of things, but it doesn't guarantee a "fair" game, nor does it guarantee fair platform for your own skill or that of your opponent.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing an old team at TV 1300 with a new team is still better than playing Slann 1300 vs Nurgle 2000.
If high TV were viable I would happily play there with all my teams.
Slann are so badly designed that they need to control their TV.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no free gelato Matt - you manage your TV to avoid certain matchups, you're just passing the buck to another coach on that activation and you will eventually face what you're trying to avoid. Then you want to impose a 'solution' which will neither lead to a functional change in how your teams are built or how you play since you can still get paired 300 down to a 1600-1700 clawpomb team.

If you weren't so in love with your own ideals you'd make this a lot easier on yourself.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

300 down is better than 700 down, is that hard to understand?
It's not an utopic request.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats an opinion.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Actually, there are some teams that would prefer 700 down to 300 down. Flings and goblins anyone?

And your request is pretty utopic considering your audience.

@mrt1212 - I love the repeated gelato references.

real issue

Last edited by Cavetroll on %b %10, %2016 - %03:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reason you guys are talking past each other is that TVdiff isn't really Dakka's issue.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Actually, there are some teams that would prefer 700 down to 300 down. Flings and goblins anyone?

Sure, the Box is full of Goblins and Halflings that are eager to play vs Nurgle as 700 TV underdogs.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

I have activated 5 teams this evening, from TV 1200 to TV 1500 and my TV 1330 Slann got matched vs a 2110 Nurgle team.

Why did the scheduler match the frogs instead of the 1500 TV team?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe because Nurgle is considered a tier 1.5 team like Slann by the scheduler?
At low TV Nurgle is actually a fair opponent for Slann, but not at high TV.
I don't think it was related to number of matches, my Slann and Vampires have 63 and 65 matches played respectively.

About my sweetspotting: my Slann team has 100k in the Treasury, so I could not buy more than one extra player even if I wanted to get a bench, I keep some gold to replace a positional.
My "sweetspotting racket" is just a byproduct of being regularly bashed by almost any team my Slann face.
My Vampires were 1770 TV before they suffered a TV trim after playing vs Nurgle and dropped to TV 1280.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %10, %2016 - %03:%Aug; edited 3 times in total
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The difference seems excessive to me; some tv difference is fine; and it gets higher at higher tv; but a 700 tv difference seems a bit much, at least when one of the tv is < 1500
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Even my opponent didn't like the draw, he told me in the chat, he would have liked a closer TV match.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Cavetroll wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Sure, the Box is full of Goblins and Halflings that are eager to play vs Nurgle as 700 TV underdogs.

Yooooooouuuuuuu raaaaaaaaaaang?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Dakka, I'm with you and support any limit... may it be 500 or less.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It isn't so long ago that the Box had a % TV difference match limit. What was it, 15%? It was quite unusual to even have 150k inducements, certainly never Morg. But that was a bit too extreme. I would go for 30% as a limit, though I think the big difference matches are rare.