27 coaches online • Server time: 09:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2017 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

A human team without an Ogre is a sad thing to see.

Human Ogre = The Best!

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2017 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Juggernaut is the BG's friend. Especially those poor maligned Minos amd Rogres.

With AV 8 you dont want them copping too much Line duty anyway.

Block is clearly superior, but Juggernaut is always my first non-double skill (when no Mutations for normals).

Gives those teams a way of threatening Crowd Surfs and controlling the wide zones, especially where the opponents have a Stand Firm fetish.

Agree re comments above that TV matching attitude largely determines the answer to the OP.

Cheers Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2017 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You can't compare an ogre to a Blitzer, because you're always taking 4 blitzers. And 3 linemen over 1 ogre? Well okay but you can only have 1 of those linemen on the pitch, at least at the start

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
kilinrax

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Came up with this list a while ago, think it's still reasonable.

As better coaches already know, how worthwhile a BG is depends a lot on the roster; whether he fills a role that can be filled without him. Hence, rating the lizzie krox above the slann kroaxigor, straight chaos mino below CD and pact mino et c.

This is why the treeman and rat ogre are the most controversial, I think. They aren't great, but provide something the rest of the team don't do well.

Beast of Nurgle
Lizard Kroxigor
Human Ogre
Warpstone Troll
Pact Ogre
Pact Troll
--- ^^^ necessary
Wood Elf Tree
Snow Troll
Slann Kroxigor
Orc Troll
Rat Ogre
--- ^^^ debatable
Pact Minotaur
Chorf Minotaur
Chaos Minotaur
Deathroller
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have found the Rogre has let me down a lot. But having a s5 option can be very useful for Skaven, at least when the Rogre has gained a couple of skills. You have no other high strength options. However for example in my last Skaven match I had a chance to 2+ Break Tackle and frenzy blitz to surf a CWarrior ball carrier. He got a 1 and loner failed. I could have done a -2db blitz with a wrestle stripball Gutter instead (and at least been able to use a rr if the blitz skulled). But if I hadn't had the Rogre I would have missed out on some 3db or no assist 2d blitzes earlier in the match.
AV8 is not good for a Big Guy as it means they are at risk even v non-claw.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:

AV8 is not good for a Big Guy as it means they are at risk even v non-claw.

Indeed.

This is really what drags the Minos down I think. It's somewhat less important for the RO, because they do bring some other options to the team (and raise the AV generally), but Minos are just terrible all around. Early in a teams development they make some sense, you can get 3d blitzes with might blow, and you have frenzy for some surfs.

But your goal for your designated blitzer is to mimic the Mino skills (even up to Frenzy) anyway, so at that point the Mino starts to become pretty useless as you are not blitzing with them as much and better opponents know how to draw them to a side and leave you at the mercy of 4+ rolls for them to get back into the action.

You also have some AV9 options (not on Pact), but otherwise are mostly AV8 anyway, so against other bash the Mino is just a bigger target, and against speed/Agility teams you're praying for Pows anyway to deal with blodgers.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2017 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Loner, Negatrait (especially Wild Animal), no G access are Big Guys' common and huge drawbacks.
On top of these 3 drawbacks having AV 8 is a further drawback, they can't risk to be blocked too much.
Lorean

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2017 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Treeman on woodelf is TV bloat. It's much better to have a wardancer than a treeman.

I like Ogre in human teams. They allow you to punch above your weight. Getting one MB on a blitzer means you get to make 2 MB blocks nearly every turn.

I've never liked the rat ogre or yhetee. Not because they're bad, but because I don't think they're that useful for the teams that can hire them.

Most teams that can field trolls, need the trolls. Orc is an exception, they can choose to go for a troll or not.

Minotaurs are an odd choice. Most of the time you want to blitz with them. But they throw away 1/6 blitzes. On the other hand, frenzy means they make up for that with additional blocks. They can often do surprising crowd surfs. I learned to love minotaurs, as they don't lose tackle zones when they go wild animal. Their 8 armor makes them vulnerable for a big guy though, particularly to fouls.

Stunty teams need their big guys.

I'm not a huge fan of the kroxigor, but you do need to get one.

Beast of nurgle is a must for most teams that can field one, even if it is only above average.

Ogres also make decent ball carriers in the case of touchback. Just make sure to score one turn earlier than planned in case of getting confused.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

What big guys are worth taking.... Now??

MVP rules mean you can spam SPPs to you bigs to hope for the double

No wizard means handicaps aren't quite as good

I can't quite get my head around finances, but it seems hiring and firing non doubles big guys is viable. Once they are block / guard you can sit on them.

I think they are back in a big way.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Stonetroll wrote:
I'll just leave this here.

He's insane.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Short term investmen big guys.

Wiz is coming back to tabletop so it will come back to fumbbl too.

So if you really want to use big guy now, i'd go for something like Yhetee (Snow Troll) or Slann Krox.. maybe Rogre. And either:

1) Ditch them after team has developed
2) or if they roll so many +stats and doubles that they really shine, why not just keep
3) keep them as long as they are useful and only ditch after wiz gets back

I still don't see much use on minos.

Deathroller got minor buff because of argue the call but it's only 1/6 to have him on 2 drives.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the chaos Mino is much underrated. Without doubles you can tentacles / tail him. Not to mention claw, stand fiem, guard. Even with WA that's a good player. A single doubles you have a beast.

Part of the issue is the TR match ups that blackbox and ranked get us used to. Not that way in league's.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

kummo wrote:
Short term investmen big guys.

Wiz is coming back to tabletop so it will come back to fumbbl too.

So if you really want to use big guy now, i'd go for something like Yhetee (Snow Troll) or Slann Krox.. maybe Rogre. And either:

1) Ditch them after team has developed
2) or if they roll so many +stats and doubles that they really shine, why not just keep
3) keep them as long as they are useful and only ditch after wiz gets back

I still don't see much use on minos.

Deathroller got minor buff because of argue the call but it's only 1/6 to have him on 2 drives.

A lot of the time that second drive is probably going to be 1 turn. Really not worth having your coach sent off for. Presuming you have not already argued and rolled a 1 in the first drive.

DLE College 7s
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well with 13 dwarves you shouldn't have to play him that often

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Rabe

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2017 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed, Dwarves can actually have a bench and get profit out of it, with or without Deathroller. Probably not common knowledge...

Jump to: