24 coaches online • Server time: 07:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrbibitte3

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone !

I've got an "important" tabletop game tomorrow evening against Dwarves... with some Underworlds. Since they are, kind'of the poor man's amazons, it seems a very frightening matchup. Do some of you have some clever advices to share ? Below are the highlights of the forces in presence :

DWARVES
Team rating : 1960K
110K treasury
4 rerolls + Leader
8 Tacle
8 Guard
5 Stand Firm
4 Mighty Blow
1 Kick
+ST + Tacle Troll Slayer
Block Deathroller
13 players

UNDIES
Team rating : 1930K
315K treasury
3 rerolls
5 Two Heads gobs
1 Kick
Claw + Mighty Blow + Horns Storm Vermin
Claw + Mighty Blow + Guard + Foul Appearance Troll
Two Hands + Big Hand + Extra Arm + Sprint + Sure Feet Goblin
+AG + Two Heads + Dodge + Guard Storm Vermin
14 players

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by mrbibitte3 on %b %14, %2017 - %18:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul the ST5 troll slayer every chance you get, and hope your can openers (claws) do their job early and often. Limit his blocks as much as possible, try to force him to only have a blitz each turn to hit you.
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If it would be possible, buying another rookie goblin might not hurt to get up to 15 players, that might help make sure you can field as many players as possible in the 2nd half
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

claw/mb is yr tool here. blitz, protect, blitz, protect, remove cans. if he keeps 11 on the pitch, you are gonna hav a bad time.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

That doesn't sound too hopeless honestly.

You have 2x claw MB, and he has a death roller and one assumes no bribes to keep it around.

I would receive if you get the flip and try to score early if he plays the death roller. If he doesn't play it I would fish for at least 2 CAS and then score whenever so it has to come out in the first half. With 2 claw I think your chances of getting at least 2 dwarfs off on your drive are decent, and of course, you should be getting in some selective fouls as well.

This ideally puts you men up in the 2nd half, or at least not too many men down, and no death roller, which at the very least will just keep your troll occupied.

It's going to be dicey with the CAS, but that's just how it always is anyway. Now if he receives first your job will be more difficult, but you still have the claw guys to pick off his players, and you can probably ignore the death roller, or even hope your troll can get a whack at it at some point.

The key generally is to limit his ability to hit you with mighty blow. You can survive some blocks here and there, but if he gets to use his MB guys on your gobblins a lot it's going to hurt. Sadly the tackle also means you don't have the freedom to make all the dodges all the time, but so much two heads does mean it's all on a 2+ at least.

I think you can just pick off a dwarf with a claw blitz every turn and disengage as much as possible. If he's not careful you can even get a shot at the ball with some luck.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are forced to kick first, I'd suggest playing for removal and the one turner on turn 8. Unless you think you can stop him from scoring, make your focus killing dorfs hard and fast.

Isolate his guards and his MB, and gang foul anything your claws don't take out. If you can finish the first half with a 1-1 score, and his ruler is gone with one or two casualties, you'll be in great shape for the second half. As I dais earlier, limit his blocks. Dwarves will try to end turns in contact with most of your players. This is actually to your favor if he's only getting a blitz action to hit you.

Your foul game should be a focus. As was stated, bump to a15 man roster if you can, you need more bodies with no inducements. Try to foul any time you can get 3+assists. If you have a dirty player, even better. Your goal in this one, if you want to win, will be attrition.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

If he receives first your best bet is going to be simply sniping players and retreating - try to force him to gfi to blitz or leave players isolated.

You have absolutely the upper hand in mobility, beyond question, and need to exploit that - horns on the SV is also useful since this means that if you can isolate singular dwarves you don't even need to send an assist in (so if you get a KO/cas, you've not left someone behind to get hit).

It's not a great matchup at all, but it really does come down to cas dice - you can play shorthanded a hell of a lot more easily than he can.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
I would receive if you get the flip

I'm very torn between kicking or receiving. It also depends a lot on if I hire a Wizard or not (from my own treasury). Would a Wizard be more useful to me than 2 bloodweiser or a bribe to him ? I feel the Wizard is a must, but 1 on 6 failure is nasty and the two bloodweiser babes I'd give back could cripple my Claw + Mighty Blow efforts. The bribe could be useful for the Deathroller (3 dice blocks + Mighty Blow).

Kick first
Main advantage is to defend with a full squad. It could also be the only moment when the Kick skill will be on the pitch to kick deep.

Main disadvantage is I'll absorb 4 Mighty Blow hits straight pipe. It also means some valuable Two Heads Gobs would be at risk... and they are very useful to help control the clock on offense.

The kick would be deep. I'm still in doubt if I'd boldly attempt to separate the dwarf ball carrier from the main group or wait for the cage to form at the line of scrimmage while keeping a maximum of cohesion and protecting my assets. With this plan, I'm also tied up to stopping him from scoring which is far from a given !

Receive first
Main advantage is that all the Two Heads goblins are on the pitch to help score and control some of the clock with low risk dodges.

Main disadvantage is (I feel) it puts me uphill on the whole game clock. I score and he retaliates on first half. Second half he drags the game for the win. If he fails to retaliate first half, he drags the draw on second half for an overtime. No more rerolls and troopers left for the Underworld on overtime. Dwarves win.

The Wizard could change the game, though (but still 1 in 6 failure is despicable). Underworld score in 4 turns (hopefully) leaving the dwarves in a rush to retaliate. This could open up the positioning for a Wizard followed by a Big Hand + Two Heads + Extra Arms + Sprint + Sure Feet Gob to win the day. A 2-0 lead would (almost) be a death blow to the Dwarves.

Another point I'm in doubt is if I try to expand the dwarves' positioning or if I keep them concentrated. They would be easier to contain if concentrated (but Guard would hurt). They would be less dangerous if expanded (while retaining a 1 on 1 advantadge) but it could open them some plays.
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I will rarely ever kick first with any team under any circumstances. I don't think the benefit of 'defending' with 11 is so valuable as getting the first score (on whatever turn) and then forcing the opponent to have to score 2x to beat you.

I would be especially less likely to kick first if I actually have solid hitters who can remove the opposition easily, as you do. You're getting 2 claw/mb hits on him on turn 1, along with a couple other hits. With a full 11 you can ideally stall and score after turn 5 (I don't care that much about giving dwarfs 3 or 4 turns, especially if I have kick and can get the ball deep).

The downside to kicking first, and getting valuable players removed on turn one is simply not worth the benefit of defending with a full 11. But you have a three man bench anyway! Your opponent will be down the death roller on the first kick off after it's on the pitch, you have claw, he has a 12 player roster (essentially) you should, with reasonable dice, be able to have him below 11 for his 1st half drive, and certainly for his 2nd half drive.

Dwarfs struggle so much more when they don't have players, but if you let him receive, you cede that initiative completely.

If you're going to use your treasury I would take a wizard and a babe for 200k. If you're willing to spend the whole thing, take a wizard, bribe and babe, if you're only willing to spend up to 150k take the wizard. Babes skill have good value for you of course, but with a 14 player roster you can probably survive without.

The wizard against dwarfs can be an 83% outright win the game (or at worst draw), as just zapping their scoring threat on turn 8/16 can be enough to prevent the score.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

If this goes to OT then for sure do not kick first (i would not anyway).

You may have claw/mb, but half your team is av7 stunty, and aside from 3 members the rest are av7. He will grind you down, and the longer you spend on the pitch down players, the less likely you are able to protect the clawed ones.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2017 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As somebody who chooses to kick first roughly 90% of the time this is a match-up where I too would to receive. The game is going to swing on casualties anyway and controlling the pace is even more important because you may be able to make the Death Roller a complete waste for the game.

The wizard is a reasonable options and your score in 4 turns then use it to pressure another score is a plan I often use in games that have overtime that you really don't want to get to. (Although with his deathroller you really only need to force 2 casualties to make overtime a perfectly fine option as dwarves become increasingly more terrible every player below 11 they have left)

As far as spreading them out or keeping them concentrated I would try to spread them out. Your players have an advantage in the open field especially with your horns.
 Jump to: