47 coaches online • Server time: 12:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

<AloneAndBurned> hey everyone
<AloneAndBurned> i just had an idea
<AloneAndBurned> you know how a player picks up injuries if they niggle, right?
<AloneAndBurned> well, what if they just peaked instead?
<AloneAndBurned> no more Spps on them,
<AloneAndBurned> no injury sustained
<AloneAndBurned> I wouldn't mind keeping a Bloding tackle WW on my team if he peaked
<AloneAndBurned> peaking in the sense that they cannot learn any more... instead of missing games, it allows you to have a team while earning to replace him, before you fire him
<AloneAndBurned> it makes a lot more sense fluff wise
<AloneAndBurned> not everyone is legend material
<AloneAndBurned> or even star material
<AloneAndBurned> some will never get better than that first skill they learn
<AloneAndBurned> he will still gain the spps, he wouldn't get any more rolls
<AloneAndBurned> so your TR is still affected
<AloneAndBurned> he is just full on skills
<AloneAndBurned> well, you think it is worth putting in front of the BBRC?
<AloneAndBurned> the player cannot learn anymore
<AloneAndBurned> exactly my point
<Cederlund> its worth testing it!
<AloneAndBurned> but also, it will mean that you have a few reliable players
<AloneAndBurned> you learn the skill
<AloneAndBurned> you dont get any more
<AloneAndBurned> and remember
<AloneAndBurned> he can still be a TR sink, since he gains the points
<AloneAndBurned> allows for more fluff on the aging

Well, I thought that I should gather a few comments on this first...

Z
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me paraphrase what I believe you are trying to say, so correct me if I have the wrong impression:

Normally, you gain enough sp's for a skill roll, then your character will get better from the skill/stat but you run the risk of aging. You are recommending that somehow we institute a choice for the coach; a player can, instead of suffering a niggling injury in-game, be proclaimed "peaked". He no longer gains sp's, no longer has even a possibility of gaining new skills. But he avoids said injury and can play on at his current level of ability.

Is this what you're trying to get across? Does the player really avoid the injury at the expense of no more advancement? What if he gets injured a second time? And I'm confused about the whole "play til coach can afford to replace him" part...

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

<b><AloneAndBurned> you know how a player picks up injuries if they niggle, right? </b>
So if they age niggle, or get injured niggle, they just become "peaked"? Seems kinda sketchy. I see the point you're trying to make, and it would hurt some potentially good players.. but in comparison to how niggles work now it seems abit too nice. Sure, they can't get any more skills, but multiple niggles do nothing and you can still have decent players.

Nice idea but I don't think it would work well in Fumbbl, especially with long-term teams.

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

what he is saying is that we instead of having niggle effects on aging
we have peaked, IE old playing card no more advancements

there is no choice in this, its the replacement, imho its worth testing

there should be no confusion as the peak instead of niggle only applies when aging, and thus cannot "get injured a second time" from it
if he suffers it from a normal Serious Injury however, well.. then he's niggled and peaked (kick him out already!)

the confusion about play til a coach can afford to replace is because well, who wants a player that cant increase his skills and stats? when you can have a player that can? just replace him like you would with any injured or dead player Razz
caileanhawk

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I still think number of games should affect aging roll more than the skill number.

The first skill aging roll for a 2 game old player should be different than a first skill roll aging for a 40 game old player.

The more games played, the more chance of an aging roll.

I think that would also be a good way to control TR's that are too high.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
Elkerlyc

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it better than ageing. It would still mean that you would replace the player eventually; he accumulates spp's and thus TR for no gain.

Then again; I HATE ageing. The simple reason being is that a skill-roll should be fun instead of the dreadful feeling that you player might niggle (3 out of my last 4 rolls btw; 1 on his first roll, 2 on their third. I might be biased. Very Happy )

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Just from aging? Might work then, Alone's first half of text or so was misleading. But if it's just for aging it's worth testing.

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

hey, Alone!

personally i think yer onto a winner there, above all it makes more sense
I mean hey, not everyone has the potential even to become Legendary, this kinda hits home
......and yeah, EVERYBODY has the potential to get injured
......it just dont happen that much on their birthdays! Laughing
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I proposed this a long time before the last Rules Review... over at TBB they hated it for some reason...
Pardus

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

because after a few lucky skills the player can become godlike, then it peaks, stops adding to team rating for every ssp it would normally get

so eventually you get people with godlike teams they are almost impossible to beat
veron

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally wouldn't like this to be used just like AAB suggested, but like this instead. Add 'Peaked!' result to the current Ageing Results Table. If you roll Peaked!, it works like AAB suggested. But you can still gain nigglings etc. as before if you should roll one. I like AAB's suggestion for it's 'everyone can't be Griff Oberwald' reasoning. I am going to test this on my current tabletop league. Below are the old and new suggested table:

-------------------------------------

Ageing Results Table

2D6 Result
2-8 Gain Niggling Injury
9 Decrease Players AV by 1 point
10 Decrease Players MA by 1 point
11 Decrease Players AG by 1 point
12 Decrease Players ST by 1 point

---------------------------------------------

New Ageing Results Table

2D6 Result
2-5 Peaked!
6-8 Gain Niggling Injury
9 Decrease Players AV by 1 point
10 Decrease Players MA by 1 point
11 Decrease Players AG by 1 point
12 Decrease Players ST by 1 point
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Instead of coming up with new things on this board, go here and check out this forum for the Vault rules. The new direction of Bloodbowl - removal of aging is included. Just a few more things need changing to make the proposed system actually (and very surprisingly) rather great.

So go help out with the effort.
Funso

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2004 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, discussing rule changes here is rather pointless.

Why not go to the actual rule change forum and discuss it there. That's where the rule-makers are, you will get heard there.

Discuss the vault rules, because soon they will be the rules used in Ranked (well, most of them will be). Everything from fouls, injuries, star players, rosters (yup, you wood elves lose your treemen) max of 5 skill improvements per player, etc are all due to be implemented at some point.

And discussing those things here, is not doing any good. Go to the right place.
 Jump to: