36 coaches online • Server time: 14:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is major tournament play now unbalanced towards bash sides?
1) Yes expensive mistakes favours bash teams
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
2) Yes loss of the wizard favours bash teams
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
3) Yes expensive mistakes AND loss of the wizard favour bash teams
28%
 28%  [ 29 ]
4) No the new ruleset is fine and we will continue to see a good mix of bash and agility sides winning tournaments
58%
 58%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 102

paradocks

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with Verminado's point of view here. The only disadvantage I can see for the elfballers is the loss of wizard which is returning, and the new MVP rule seems more advantageous to bash teams but it's not a big deal.
fidius

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

+ExMis favours BASH
-SpirEx favours BALL
-Wiz favours BASH
-PO favours BALL
+Seas favours BALL
3MVP favours BASH
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

ATC favours BASH

Ball wins in my book, but not by much.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I do think the loss of the wizard matters. Not a big deal, but I think it matters.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
As an aside, when's the last time an elf team won a major anyway? Seems like they've been noticeably absent for a while.

Lustrian Challenge last year? And before that GLT? Not such a bad time for Elves. Though in the Box Majors it's been a good long while, maybe this will change now, too.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

There will surely be a Wizard in the next GW add-on box. And I highly expect more than the current two spell options, or at least one changed. Maybe some race specific spells or wizards (other than Necromancer).

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

You can also argue wizards were too cheap for agile sides.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
You can also argue wizards were too cheap for agile sides.

I think so (and I used Wizards several times, so I'm not biased against them).
They should be priced 200-250k in my opinion.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

PO being gone doesn't favor elfs nearly as much as you all seem to think.

I won't go quite so far as to say it disadvantages them, but now they will be facing more tackle and other annoying skills instead of just POMBers.

They also can't make any POMBers of their own, and are unlikely to play the foul game as well.

Attrition may go down, but win rate probably isn't going to change significantly.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
PO being gone doesn't favor elfs nearly as much as you all seem to think.

I won't go quite so far as to say it disadvantages them, but now they will be facing more tackle and other annoying skills instead of just POMBers.

So far, my anecdotal game experience with Elven Union matches that.
It's not a surprise, but mid TV is harder now, because almost any team has more than 2 Tacklers, even the team not Tackle-heavy at that TV in CRP like Chaos.
On top of that bash teams quite often induce Star Players, because they are not going to lose players vs Elves, so they can afford to dump cash on inducements.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %03, %2017 - %04:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
There will surely be a Wizard in the next GW add-on box. And I highly expect more than the current two spell options, or at least one changed. Maybe some race specific spells or wizards (other than Necromancer).

+1

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO PO being gone favours the stronger sides that didn't have access to claw. Orcs, Dwarves, Lizards

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
garyt1

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm but they still have to fight v claw.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that the loss of PO should help the agile sides more. Against low AV, you have a higher chance of breaking armour anyway, so the PO reroll to injury was the real damage-dealer, which allowed the bash teams to take out the key agile players so effectively. Now, they won't be able to do that so easily, so the elves will get more shots with their leaping cage-breakers and the 'passive defense' option will be more effective now as well, with the lower attrition rate (as Stonetroll mentioned).

About what the OP said regarding the bash teams being able to stockpile cash to buy inducements: I don't see it as being such a big advantage for them. 50k for a babe isn't going to do them much good. If they can spend 100k for a bribe then that will be more effective. But then, if we're in a situation where bashy teams are resorting to more fouling to take out the elven stars, then they might be more prone to making the positional concessions that go along with that (bunching players etc.). Good stuff for the elves Wink

On the other hand, if the elves can afford to spend just 50k of their treasury on a babe, that could be quite a big benefit for them against a bash team. And now, with SE gone, it might be possible for elven teams to build a bit of a cash pile for tourneys (whereas before, it was simply impossible).

Loss of the wizard ... yeah, that's a bit of a tough break for elves. But, Eldril Sidewinder is only 50k more and, if used correctly, he can also significantly increase the chances of cage-breaking and/or force a bash team to be more conservative in their positioning. If he doesn't get taken out, then he can also be used multiple times and is also an excellent additional player in his own right, with MA8, Dodge, Catch, NoS. Plus, without petty cash, elven teams will be able to top up their inducements to be able to afford him more frequently. I predict we'll be seeing him a lot more in the next few tourneys Wink

Overall, it seems to me that the new ruleset is playing into the hands of the elves Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Hmm but they still have to fight v claw.

Yeah but half as much

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
 Jump to: