35 coaches online • Server time: 01:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dominik

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm questioning this myself for my Vampire with Blodge Sure Hands.
With Side Step he can take advantage of an unsuccessful block but with Stand Firm he can hold his ground when he failed a pick up for example and importantly when playing other Vampires he cannot get surfed that easily. You know, having Side Step and standing besides the sidelines still brings the risk of a surf.
What are your thoughts to this?
Nightbird

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

SS

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidestep is superior. Stand firm has some nice points to it, but sidestep leads to lots of interesting possibilities for chain pushes etc and can really screw with opponents in situations that seem harmless to begin with. Also sidestep discourages the player being blocked at all while there is generally no downside in having a block against SF. Keep in mind also that Juggernaut is quite a common skill in the competitive divisions as well (due to replacing piling on). Finally SS really helps you score 1 turn TDs.

Oscar Wilde
licker

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

sidestep for ball carries, stand firm for markers/strength guys is how I approach it

generally I think side step is slightly more valuable on generic players, but once you have a diving tackler I think stand firm is better
kummo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Finally SS really helps you score 1 turn TDs.

With ma6???

I guess it is possible in theory but 1 or 2 x +ma would make it much much easier.
PeteW

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Ss

Never underestimate the importance of psychological control.

Being able to make decisions in your opponent's turn can be huge.

Sf is predictable. Ss is not.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah with SF he can always block you, the worst that can happen is he'll be no better off than before, which is not true for SS. This outweighs SF being better for marking and surf protection.
 Jump to: