39 coaches online • Server time: 11:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2017 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

So much reactionary aggression in this thread! Too much post before reading going on here I think.

Still, its nice to see though that we still have a big enough community in the forums that can manage a 20+ page stalling thread.
finsterface

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2017 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
The_Murker wrote:
When did licker become an "I must read everything and therefore I appreciate threads being locked" kind of guy?

Actually I read the title of this thread and then saw the number of pages.

I think I've read about 2 pages of this nonsense.

I don't think it's nonesense. The OP had opened this thread in rage and later regretted to have it named this way. He also said, he didn't even know that tactic was called "stalling" at all... ...he then did get to know a whole lot about the culture of fumbbl (in game and in threads) and he even has discovered 2 leagues for himself, where he's gotten interested in.

Did it have to be 20 pages long (and still running)? Probably not, but it's not like a 20-page-rant or anything like that, I think. And it's not like fumbbl-maintainance cost is by the number of pages in threads. Like someone else said: Kudos to the OP for standing up to a whole community for 20 pages.

Regardless of my own trolling in this thread, I actually learned to specifically perceive cards as a counter vs. stalling. Knew about stalling and cards before, but didn't really connect those two. Maybe others have learned something, as well.
Espionage

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2017 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

finsterface wrote:
Knew about stalling and cards before, but didn't really connect those two. Maybe others have learned something, as well.

+1
Araznaroth

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't there a badge or something for starting a forum topic that goes in the twenty pages?

Welcome to the site Btw, great way to make a name for yourself quickly! Very Happy

Stalling is despicable but perfectly fine with me! Very Happy
paradocks

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It's kinda funny looking back at the 2003 thread on stalling where most people seemed to be against it, or in support of only doing it for max 2 turns :>
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Which is worse, stalling, turn 16 fouling, or swearing at your mother?
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:

If you don't turn 16 foul, you can't foul 16 turns.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

this is true.
AL13N

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

ROFL you have got to be kidding! Stalling is part of the game. Even more so if your up on players and it prevents the opponent from rolling to get KO's Out of the box. Ones Goal should always be take 8 turns to score and inflict as much damage as possible. Now thats the key to victory or ties. Many Times I've lost because I scored to early and the clock rolled back which allowed for the opponent an easy 2 turn or 3 turn scores making victories into ties or ties into losses. I also say foul away all 16 turns if your up bodies or not after all it is part of the game.
finsterface

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Araznaroth wrote:
Isn't there a badge or something for starting a forum topic that goes in the twenty pages?

+1
MonkeyMan576 wrote:

kicking your cat is actually the worsest.
Zhems

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
It's kinda funny looking back at the 2003 thread on stalling where most people seemed to be against it, or in support of only doing it for max 2 turns :>

'That which is not banned is permitted.'
I imagine that it went something along the lines of most players not stalling except for the most pro/ruthless ones. They dominate the top end so to be competitive with those coaches, more moderate players start to use stalling. The balance point is reached and stalling becomes normalized; those that hold to the 'old ways' get sidelined/retire and new players know no other way. Bing: culture change!
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling isn't the problem. CPOMB is the problem. If not for CPOMB your would have enough players on the field to defend properly.

Oh wait... Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:

Depends what sort of relationship you have with your mother. Smile

Fouling in turn 16 and grinding on an opposing team (assuming I've got that term right) are the same thing to me.
If you have a regular gaming circle, teams that you will be regularly playing against, then sure go for it! If its pick up games against people you are almost certainly never gonna play again then no.

Why? If you slap a crippling injury or kill on a regular opponent then you are advancing your own teams xp and lowering you opponents ability to beat you in later games you will play against them.
Meanwhile if you do the same to a pick up player the advantage is being given to whoever they play next, assuming the team doesn't get folded because of the damage caused.

Of course, just to muddy the waters, I wouldn't seek to do either.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

In chess a well spirited player will readily sacrifice their officers to save pawns because it's the honorable way to role-play them.
Unfortunately the game has long been dominated by ruthless power gamers to the point where those people that played chess differently just left. And the new people who joined did not know to play it any other way.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhems wrote:
paradocks wrote:

'That which is not banned is permitted.'
I imagine that it went something along the lines of most players not stalling except for the most pro/ruthless ones. They dominate the top end so to be competitive with those coaches, more moderate players start to use stalling. The balance point is reached and stalling becomes normalized; those that hold to the 'old ways' get sidelined/retire and new players know no other way. Bing: culture change!

Either that or they went to [L] Smile

I agree with what you say: if you're playing a game/sport competitively, then you do whatever is allowed within the rules to win. Because If you don't, someone else will, and then you lose. If you shackle yourself by arbitrary rules or 'moral codes' that other players don't recognize, you lose. For many players on FUMBBL, a big part of the fun is competing (or, at least, trying to) against some of the best BB players in the world.

Again though, this comes back to what Harad was saying earlier. How exactly would you make a rule to prevent stalling, when an experienced player could stall against you in their own half just as easily, with exactly the same result?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
 Jump to: