55 coaches online • Server time: 18:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Throw Team Mate Land...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:
Quote:
If you value FUN over winning you should not be playing in a competitive division.

If it is not fun why play?

To test my skill, to improve my skill, to try new tactics, to play vs a variety of races without choosing the team I will use and without choosing my opponent (I love the surprise effect and trying to face any opponent, as long as there is not a massive TV gap that makes the game a ridiculous waste of time).
Winning is fun or, to put it in another way, losing is not fun so I try to improve myself to reduce the losing frustration.
I don't see nothing wrong with trying to win in a game as long as you don't cheat or exploit rules loopholes, because it's a great incentive to improve and generally makes games more entertaining as well.
I'm not against to messing around, laid back, have fun mindset, I just don't do it if I play competitively, like it's supposed in a competitive division.
On the other hand, even if I try to win, I don't minmax, I play a good variety of races, I don't cycle tier 1 teams because I think that doing so makes the environment where I play worse and less appealing.

Winning is the payoff of good ideas and good dice getting married and inviting you to the wedding. You should be deriving satisfaction from the process of ideas and dice getting to know one another, seeing how they get on together, sharing in some of their success and failure. No wedding gift needed, just a good attitude is required to attend.

Seriously, reading this back to yourself, don't you see the dichotomy between 'test my skill, to improve my skill, try new tactics' and 'winning is fun or losing is not fun' that comes from a results oriented approach to the game?

Especially in this game where you can do all the right things and still lose because the opponent did all the right things and had a slight edge in opportunity and dice validation. In fact, there is wisdom and character to be found in giving it your best effort and coming up short but realizing you did the best thing in the situation and thems the breaks of playing BB.

This is going off on a tangent but BB can absolutely help you understand life better if you use it as a proxy for how you handle and triumph over adversity and things out of your control. Think of it as a daily crossword puzzle for your existential identity.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Competitive is a well defined word, but if on FUMBBL it is subjective, I have just learned a new thing after 10 years on this site.

Unless you're playing against yourself and yourself alone you'll never really understand the rationale of the opposing coach from game to game.

Some games I just want to get my SPP and get out. Some games look interesting and I like pulling the tail of the opposing coach (with things like Foul Appearance Gobbos) so I give it a bit more effort. It's why I can't make the leap to labelled literalism because you don't know if the opposing coach has something going on in that noodle that doesn't meet the criteria of competitive by dictionary or colloquial usage. How do you ever really know if your opponent is playing with the same over riding objective in mind?

Maybe we should have bidding conventions to get games Wink
Dominik

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

hourly box activation would mean that box no longer a serious division. if i dont get a game in box i mostly idle around and give it a second try 15 minutes later. i certainly would not set the clock to be there 55 minutes later.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
hourly box activation would mean that box no longer a serious division. if i dont get a game in box i mostly idle around and give it a second try 15 minutes later. i certainly would not set the clock to be there 55 minutes later.

No sane person would!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Will you adapt and accept? Or will you die off with Box and say hello to the dinosaurs for us?

choose your road.

Easy choice. I don't accept any compromises, so I will sink with the ship, if Box is eliminated.
I break but I don't bend.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If you value FUN over winning you should not be playing in a competitive division.

Hmm, so I guess my goblin, Ogre and all-rotter team shouldn't be in the Box then. You've really got this recruiting thing for the box down pat Matt. Very Happy
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I have Goblins, Halflings, Ogres, as well, and lately I'm activating my Halflings and Goblins but I can't find games with them.
As long as you try to do your best to win with your weak rosters you are playing competitively, although with non-competitive rosters.
Tell me, now: do you have 236 games played with Vampires and 211 games played with Slann in the Box?
Have you played with all the 24 races in the Box?
Because I have but hey, apparently I'm the hardass guy with scary teams trying to suck all the fun out of the Box.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Arktoris wrote:
Will you adapt and accept? Or will you die off with Box and say hello to the dinosaurs for us?

choose your road.

Easy choice. I don't accept any compromises, so I will sink with the ship, if Box is eliminated.

So you do the opposite of what many if not most successful people do when faced with a challenege. Stop stepping on rakes dude.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Arktoris wrote:

choose your road.

so, you're an American politician.
If you accept no compromise, then there can be no discussion. That attitude is a big problem, And a big reason why many coaches avoid box.

I admit that I pluck matches to a point, but I also challenge coaches like Bazakastine, Malmir, Relezite, and morehouse, and many of those with matches that favor neither coach. I've lost too all 4 more times than I want to admit, but oice also won against them on more than a few occasions, sometimes in matches that favor them. Ask Baza about my goblins for example.

You act like there is no competition in ranked, that its a cesspool of picking, but you ignore so many facts for that asspull that you make yourself look like a tool.

Life is a series of compromises, get over yourself and stop pretending that the world revolves around you.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
get over yourself and stop pretending that the world revolves around you.

And exactly who should his world revolve around? Out of curiosity.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Never implied that the world must revolve around me.
I just refuse to revolve around the world when doing so is against my ideals, it's different.
I'm not stomping my feet and crying for the divisions' merge.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, well there you go. Matt's chosen his destiny. As the rest of us continue to have fun after Box goes extinct, fringe outliers like Matt will "break".

Sounds like the discussion is over. Back to E.L.F. and NBFL for me.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

<MattDakka> because people are driven generally by selfish instinct
<MattDakka> and don't follow ideals as I do
<MattDakka> dunno if BB2 has piling on or it has been removed
<MattDakka> because at this point I would have to find another platform

Ah yes, the paragon of virtue who can't get out of the way of always being the hero of his own story and its everyone else in the world failing and impeding him.
Joost

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:

Seconded. I'd suggest to allow a game when 3 coaches activatie. i really like having the unexpected match up. And frankly i dont care about CR, so even 2 coaches activating should be enough for me. To me the problem of colusion is nog important. Getting games is.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

(sorry, been busy at work all day, so a bit behind the discussion here..)

PainState wrote:
Sure, the goal of playing a game is in essence to win.

But what you are missing is that when it comes to games, every player has his own agenda on what he calls fun. That is the reason "we" are playing after all. The ultimate goal of games is to have fun, not win.

when it comes to games, FUN > winning. Everybody hates that guy who takes a game of Risk to a hyper competitive level. DUDE!!! Iam just trying to have fun, why are you freaking so serious? Same thing applies to FUMBBL.

So I propose this question to you Dakka.

Why are you so freaking serious about this man? It is just a game. Who cares if some dude wants to play in B/R/L/S/F/X Divs in a casual manner and just have fun with a goal in mind that is not centered around winning but rather to just enjoy himself as he wastes a hour of his life playing a pointless game.

You're right that different people have different goals of what they are trying to get out of the game. Although, to say that fun > winning is really just your personal opinion. There is certainly a contingent on FUMBBL that take the game very seriously (perhaps a bit too much) and pretty much equate fun to winning. They find it very difficult to have fun unless they win. We've all seen those people around.

Some people don't really care about winning, they're the casual ones. Some people like a bit of competitive-light picky-choosey in Ranked, ok fair enough. And then, some people are really driven by hardcore competition. That's totally fine, but I think that, to be successful, the site needs to cater well for those different player types. Which is why I think it's very important that Blackbox succeeds, because otherwise the site will be less attractive to that more hardcore crowd.

And again, I wonder if the way the divisions are currently structured is really the best way to cater for those different player types.

Btw koadah, I assume you and licker don't see R as some perfect BB utopia either, otherwise you'd be playing there once in a while, eh? Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
 Jump to: