51 coaches online • Server time: 11:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have recently won a game with 0 re-rolls from turn 1 to 16. I have seen other teams doing that on a regular basis. What are your ideas? Would you recommend playing with 0 re-rolls as an extra difficulty etc. ? Or do you think it's just an insane idea? Many times I had games where I had 3-4 re-rolls and they helped NOTHING at all (well, ofc there were also plenty games where a re-roll saved the match)

But don't you think they are unreliable and let coaches be "lazy" on their decisions ("ah, I'll try that dodge/1d block, If it fails I'll just reroll etc.), and they create a false impression of "being safe" from the 1/1 or the skull/ skull skull/ or sometimes even skull/skull/skull rolls?

Your thoughts and comments please.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to drive from here to the courthouse, there are many different roads/routes you can take. If the one you take gets you there on time, relaxed and was enjoyable to you, it was a good route.

Same with bloodbowl. If it works well for you, it works well for you.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

filthy small-minded-men minmaxers

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

lawofthewest wrote:
I have recently won a game with 0 re-rolls from turn 1 to 16. I have seen other teams doing that on a regular basis. What are your ideas? Would you recommend playing with 0 re-rolls as an extra difficulty etc. ? Or do you think it's just an insane idea? Many times I had games where I had 3-4 re-rolls and they helped NOTHING at all (well, ofc there were also plenty games where a re-roll saved the match)

But don't you think they are unreliable and let coaches be "lazy" on their decisions ("ah, I'll try that dodge/1d block, If it fails I'll just reroll etc.), and they create a false impression of "being safe" from the 1/1 or the skull/ skull skull/ or sometimes even skull/skull/skull rolls?

Your thoughts and comments please.

As standard play it's difficult. I've tried a few iterations of the idea with varying levels of success and counter-measures. In general the 150k-200k you save in RRs has a diminished impact the higher the TV goes.

As a form of retraining yourself to be risk adverse and measured, it can be slightly beneficial but you have to remember that you actually DO have RRs when you go back to 'normal'
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a difference between using no rerolls, and having no rerolls.

Simply being unable to "try" anything over the course of a game can leave you struggling to exert any influence on proceedings.

And as for the "lazy" thing... Not really - you should be considering failure on every action and then also considering whether it would be imperative to reroll it or not. And I don't think anyone really thinks having a RR makes them bulletproof from quad skulls, it just gets you a chance to mitigate doubles - but that's neither an impression of being safe or a promotion of lazy play.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

@mrt1212 that's amazing Smile I like the way you are thinking. Maybe everyone should give it a try for a few games just to get the feel of it. And then of course, back to the convienient feeling with a few re-rolls just in case...

@arrested wise words! I can follow what you want to get across
charlie1331

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It keeps those pesky Flings and their master chef in check, let me tell you

If/when a game gets to the point where neither myself or my opponent have any rerolls I feel like the stakes are increased. Every roll could be your last and the anticipation is delicious.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

charlie1331 wrote:
It keeps those pesky Flings and their master chef in check, let me tell you

If/when a game gets to the point where neither myself or my opponent have any rerolls I feel like the stakes are increased. Every roll could be your last and the anticipation is delicious.

that's also my fav part. Now imagine that from turn 1 on xD
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

lawofthewest wrote:
@mrt1212 that's amazing Smile I like the way you are thinking. Maybe everyone should give it a try for a few games just to get the feel of it. And then of course, back to the convienient feeling with a few re-rolls just in case...

@arrested wise words! I can follow what you want to get across

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=867481 High Elves, no team RR, Leader, Pro, Linemen only

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=868267 Dark Elves, no team RR, Leader, Pro, Linemen only

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=873371 High Elves, no team RR, Leader
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
filthy small-minded-men minmaxers

*Cough*smallkosp*cough*
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

having leader is ... cheating ...

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=836444

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

jdmickleburgh wrote:

You madman Surprised
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Training Ogres is too much work anyhow
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2018 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Civ wrote:
jdmickleburgh wrote:

You madman Surprised

I'd say that's not an unimpressive record. He could be a genius...
 Jump to: