22 coaches online • Server time: 07:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Arktoris wrote:
heh, you watched that game huh. I got robbed Very Happy

so the problem is the diminishing game volume and looking how to attract and keep the interest of new players?

I wouldn't miss an Exorcists game if I could help it. That it was against Bazakstine's Khemri made it all the more sweet especially because he's been kvetching about how he has never really used HMP and lo and behold he used it twice in one game. Nuffle at work man, Nuffle at work. I may have the biggest bloatiest High Elves but your guys are just plain brain melting and scary and you push the risks in a way that makes me smile. Truly dauntless in your use of Dauntless. And the mass SS Shadowing makes for a lot of sticky predicaments. Very Happy

And yes, that's the long and short of it. I think Ranked is the perfect place to really get our tents on newer coaches because of the ability to select your experience and unlike the 145 League you don't have to start over with team building once the addiction kicks in and you can put them in tourneys which is a fun aspect of the site.

hmm, perhaps the best way to handle the situation is to bring back vorner's cool coach conduct and update it for BB2.

Coaches that follow this code get invited to the cool coach group. Newer coaches are told "if you play one of these guys" he'll give you a fun game.

In the end, I would imagine unsociable behavior and dry but effective tactics cause people to lose interest.

oh...and yes...any game vs Bazakastine is going to fun. I hope he stays around a long time.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
It's a mock up, not a final product.

Usually, the point of a mock-up is to elicit comments.

mrt1212 wrote:
I wish we could see conversion rates from 145 to Box and Ranked. Not everyone wants to start off on a tricycle and not everyone stops riding a tricycle.

I don't think that many people do "convert". They play 145 Club "as well as" other leagues & divisions not "instead of".

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
hmm, perhaps the best way to handle the situation is to bring back vorner's cool coach conduct and update it for BB2.

Coaches that follow this code get invited to the cool coach group. Newer coaches are told "if you play one of these guys" he'll give you a fun game.
I agree with much of this code, but a) not all of it, and b) a lot of really "cool" coaches (in my mind) might not agree with all the parts of it either, even the ones I personally like.

Quote:
In the end, I would imagine unsociable behavior and dry but effective tactics cause people to lose interest.
I run into newer coaches all the time who seek out "dry but effective tactics" with the express interest of challenging themselves and learning how to win a "dry" game (or to open it up, so it's not so dry). I don't think it's cut-and-dried at all.

That's why I like the mentorship program. You can match coaches with others in their part of the world who play the kind of game the novice coach wants to play.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I wish we could see conversion rates from 145 to Box and Ranked. Not everyone wants to start off on a tricycle and not everyone stops riding a tricycle.

I guess we'd need to agree on when they've officially converted to a certain division. From what I've seen, a lot of the 145 coaches test the waters in most of the divisions until they find what suits them best. I certainly do know of some "graduated" 145ers playing in the Box, Ranked and League currently.

Agreed that the 145 isn't always the best fit for coaches - I've seen some who were way too strong for the rest of the group, and also those that need more one-on-one mentoring as well. Some also want to get lots of matches in, so it's just not their speed... but if they stick around and engage with the other coaches on discord I find they figure out fairly quickly where they want to play.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

So what we need is a mandatory Discord join where we paddle all neophytes in a hazing ritual? Wink
thoralf

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
it's a "competitive" division

No, it's not. Or if it is, it's the less competitive one of the three we have.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
It's a mock up, not a final product.

Usually, the point of a mock-up is to elicit comments.

Well, send your comments directly to Christer then as he's unlikely to read what you've put into the ether on the forums. I was simply passing along the sonogram a fetus on what could come to pass with Gamefinder. I didn't even conceive this thing.

Every interaction I have with you is annoying or difficult and I'll take all the blame for that if it means I never have to interact with you again.
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone should accept every game! All the races are proud and would stand up to prove their worth... Now then, where are high tv flings for my dwarfs?
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:
it's a "competitive" division

No, it's not. Or if it is, it's the less competitive one of the three we have.
Cute, but beside the point. It's competitive in that you're not supposed to throw games.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
It's competitive in that you're not supposed to throw games.

There may be a difference between throwing games and taking it too easy on a beaten opponent, even to the extent of giving them opportunities.

I would argue that not giving opportunities in a non-competitive setting such as R (more so against noobs) is borderline unsportsmanlike, just as would be throwing games.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

We have very different definitions of sportsmanship, then.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Arktoris wrote:

I agree with much of this code, but a) not all of it, and b) a lot of really "cool" coaches (in my mind) might not agree with all the parts of it either, even the ones I personally like.

gasp! You violated rule 25 of the bible of coolness!

say 10 Hail Mary Passes as your penance!

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 05:42 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
We have very different definitions of sportsmanship, then.

Have you ever looked it up? It's pretty bog-standard. There are 3 elements, all important. And Thoralf is right.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, Wikipedia says 4. Good form, the will to win, equity, and fairness. Not sure that speaks for either Thoralf's position or mine, though, because terms like "equity" and "fairness" are so vague. I mean, Hell, here we're quibbling over the meaning of "the will to win," even. I'd argue that giving a beaten opponent unnecessary chances is tantamount to throwing games, and it takes more than a bare assertion to throw me off of that. If you'd do it to one opponent and not another, it's unfair. And if you give everybody extra chances, are you really playing to win? If you wanna help your opponent get better, honestly, if you respect your opponent, do you do him or her any favors by giving extra chances? Or are you just displaying bad habits?

Last edited by JackassRampant on Jul 12, 2018 - 06:48; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2018 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

What are extra chances? Like not stalling up 2-0?
 Jump to: