29 coaches online • Server time: 08:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ph0enyx13

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Basically is Mighty Blow mostly just for the SPP? It doesn't seem as popular in NAF style resurrection tournaments and some streamers are commenting on how it is more common in the blood bowl 2 cup (along with pilin' on) than it is in most resurrection tournaments.

Now I only play teams with strength access and the advice I always see is that mighty blow should be either the first single on the first blitzer or the first single on the second blitzer with tackle coming in much later. Or for elf teams I see a lot of MB as the first positional double and then guard for all the other doubles on the team after that point
Loew

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

my guess is that in the NAF style resurrection tournaments are just not enough skills / team. MB is an important skill, but if you only get 5 or 6 skills ever on a team besides the starting skills, most teams need tackle, guard, block more than 2 or more MB
Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Good question.

I think part of the reason is the fact you cannot combine it with Tackle in NAF tounaments (except with Dwarfs and CDs) since you can only pick one skill per player. NAF tournaments are designed to make it easier for elves and Undead.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

To me the opportunity cost at low tv is too great to justify taking it. But the higher you go in TV the more you will have opportunities to chip away at weak links or good players on the opposition.

Now if you know youre going to play a team well beyond 10 or 20 games and that youll get to 1500 tv and youll be playing a variety of opponents, some with worse AV than others it can be a skill whose utility ebbs and flows.

If you know you want to get a player to legend (thats every player right?) MB provides fuel for that.

As for elves taking MB over guard, for me its to compensate for my own attrition but also on any AV7 player to subconciously avoid putting them in TZs and scoot then to safety after a blitz.

All told, id still prefer to have a lot of guard elves and a frenzy juggernaut player with blodge over a mb tackle blodger but no more than one.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

How many skills are you going to take?

If you get a new team I would take it on one orc blitzer just for the hopes of getting a man or two advantage. Then if you expect to see elves you will need tackle.

Having said that, on a chaos team I would take as much block as possible because it is sorely needed.

On a dwarf team I would take as much guard as possible and rely on armor to give me favorable numbers as the game goes on.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Tricktickler wrote:
NAF tournaments are designed to make it easier for elves and Undead.

I don't think they are designed for that purpose Very Happy Though Wood Elves and Undead do great with those rules.

As others say if you only have a few skill options, with only one extra on a player, Mighty Blow doesn't seem so tempting anymore. Nor usually does Piling On even with the old rules. Still a consideration for a blitzer.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:

Having said that, on a chaos team I would take as much block as possible because it is sorely needed.

You don't like the Jimmy Fantastic logic of "everyone you want to claw pomb has guard already so go straight to MB on your first goat and CW"

mrt1212 wrote:

All told, id still prefer to have a lot of guard elves and a frenzy juggernaut player with blodge over a mb tackle blodger but no more than one.

Frenzy always scares me to have, granted I don't play elves, but I would only really want it on someone ma7+ with a lot of guard on the team
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never played in a NAF resurrection tourney, but I've always theorized one MB blitzer would be a key player to gaining the player adv. More than likely your oppo will be protecting their low av blodgers anyway, so why not have a dedicated MB blitz every turn vs. weak points in your oppos line? Keep your other tackle blitzer protected for the possible breakthru/ key blitz on the blodger ball carrier.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

ph0enyx13 wrote:
Kondor wrote:

You don't like the Jimmy Fantastic logic of "everyone you want to claw pomb has guard already so go straight to MB on your first goat and CW"

mrt1212 wrote:

Frenzy always scares me to have, granted I don't play elves, but I would only really want it on someone ma7+ with a lot of guard on the team

Frenzy can get you into trouble, no doubt. Thats where guard can help diffuse the situation. With elves you can totally just dodge out of danger with a good blitz selection that doesnt pan out. Frenzy can really muck thing up for your opponent though and with Juggernaut even more so with a little more juice there.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MB at NAF is very much a taste thing... most people play rosters which are quite balanced/powerful at that TV without needing to rely on removal, and instead rely on positional ability, and the attitude towards KO/BH (ie auto-apo near enough) means that banking on MB working means going all-in on MB, which leaves you with a very lopsided team.

As a result of that, it tends to be the preserve of "tier 1.5" teams, or those that while seen as tier 1, tend to struggle to produce winning series at 1.1 +6. It's pretty much seen as the "italian style" to take MB on both Storm Vermin, and have a rat ogre on skaven for instance - the idea being skaven really are flat track bullies, and that at NAF level, you may as well just try to tip the game your way with casualties.

To be quite honest, often the reason you will hear "take MB first" for online gaming is the simple reason that inflicting early cas on an opponent can cause them to become disillusioned and into tilt/concession early. This is not going to happen in a tabletop event with anywhere near the same regularity.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't combine