45 coaches online • Server time: 13:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do re-rolls make you lazy?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
No
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
Pie
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Macavity
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 50

Kzarik

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
Endzone: "I won't fail you. I'm not afraid of 1s!"
Jedi Master: "Oh, you will be. You will be"

Smile

Best part of the whole thread right there.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

so...the more rerolls I have, the higher my midichlorian count?

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I say no.

RR give you freedom to play in a riskier way when you need to. Sometimes playing it safe just wont work in the context of a particular game or turn. ie, its essentially a strategy decision to come tooled up with rr or play at a lower tv with the same players.

Lazy is rr pushes or making lots of 1db or 3+ dodges for the lols. Good use of rr is recognising that sometimes being able to make a 4+/5+ dodge/pick up will win you the game and you are significantly increasing your chances of success.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Solo plays with 9 RRs, but his dice has five 6s and a single 5 (for deceiving purposes)

smallman

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Paying 70k for rerolls is crazy, you get way better value from 2 regular skills and a double. Leader for double skulls. The pixel huggers give you grief for min max, but that is their problem.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
Paying 70k for rerolls is crazy, you get way better value from 2 regular skills and a double. Leader for double skulls. The pixel huggers give you grief for min max, but that is their problem.

Yeah, just the guy we needed to hear from. Please tell us more about how we can make this site a better place to play a fun game. you are after all the coach we all look to for fast paced games full of fun and giggles.

Keep up the good work!

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
When it comes to rerolls I always follow the wise teachings of a jedi master:

"Too many rerolls is the path to the dark side. Complacency leads to laziness. Laziness leads to sloppiness. Sloppiness leads to losing."

"Always two there are, no more, no less. A must have and a reserve."

"Mind what you reroll, save you it can."

"Control rerolls, you must learn control!"

Very Happy Smile Cool Cool Smile Very Happy
This + 1,000,000 dollars 'In Dr. Evils' voice.' Laughing

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
smallman wrote:

Yeah, just the guy we needed to hear from. Please tell us more about how we can make this site a better place to play a fun game. you are after all the coach we all look to for fast paced games full of fun and giggles.

Keep up the good work!

Lol, you seem a bit sidetracked on what this thread is about. Bitter much?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
Cloggy wrote:
smallman wrote:

Keep up the good work!

no, we just like pointing out what a negative influence you are on [B], fumbbl, and life in general.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You should play both ways so you constantly remind yourself how to adapt to different circumstances. It will come up in games with rerolls that you do not have them anymore, and need to adjust. You are better ready for it.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

"Train yourself to let go of the rerolls you fear to lose."

"Rerolls not make one great."

"Difficult to see, always in motion the reroll."
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
When it comes to rerolls I always follow the wise teachings of a jedi master:

"Too many rerolls is the path to the dark side. Complacency leads to laziness. Laziness leads to sloppiness. Sloppiness leads to losing."

I'm not sure it does. My personal league plays with 8 rerolls. This changes the mindset slightly (how do i get the most out of my reroll each turn and saving it for the most optimum time). So tactically playing with rerolls changes your play and yes lessens the chances of catastrophy. However the element of using them at the most optimum and most beneficial time is still tactically challenging.

For example. You lead with your most killy player blitzing. He rolls pushes. With as many rerolls as turns most likely it would be more effective to reroll the pushes. However you would have to weigh that up compared to the other actions; chances of fail; and how much of a disaster failing would be.

Rerolls in my opinion change the tactical element rather than dumb down your tactical nous.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

HM, I am not really against rerolls - just a bit of banter. As bg said, it's good to know how to play with them or without them. Typically I play with 2 rerolls these days as less seems like hardcore min-maxing but when I play slann I like to take at least four so I can be ultra aggressive with my leaps! \o/

When you have rerolls to spare (which you'll get a lot in your 8rr league) it does change considerations. e.g. less risky to try the 2+ dodge on your ag 4 player than your 3+ dodge on your player with dodge because you will reroll the 2+ if it fails. Different formats and builds are all good fun. Smile

I remember turning up to play some tabletop with my woodies a few years ago and I had to play with 1rr because I didn't have enough linemen so had to have more positional sin my starting team. I remember turning down reroll opportunities all through the first half nursing it through to T8 and then not using it at all!
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
smallman wrote:
Cloggy wrote:
smallman wrote:

Keep up the good work!

no, we just like pointing out what a negative influence you are on [B], fumbbl, and life in general.

Very Happy Very Happy Smile Laughing Laughing Cool Laughing Laughing Smile Very Happy Very Happy
This +1,000,000,000 dollars 'In Dr. Evils' voice.' Exclamation

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think rerolls make you lazy, but I am a big user of said rerolls. I typically carry 5-6 rerolls on my big teams, and I almost exclusively play big teams. The reason I like rerolls so much is that they allow me to be more creative in my plays, and they also reward aggression.