39 coaches online • Server time: 08:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2018 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
fidius wrote:
Jordan Peterson seems to have gained some weight.

Here's a similar (but "bigger") article I thought was excellent:
13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful

What, no all beef diet in there?

And just what is wrong with an all beef diet, hmmmm?

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2018 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

one question, what happened to anisdrin? I remember seeing that coach before. now he has been away for... 3 years?

DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2018 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say it's scratching your balls before touching the other player's minis. Gross.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2019 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
The worst habit? Pretty sure meth would be very close to the top of any such list. Right below that would be blaming dice. Then picking up other players miniatures without asking first.

I didn't have 10 and a half minutes to watch the video, but I did have time to reply anyway.

Who are all these edge lords who claim you can't blame dice in a game that is centered around rolling dice?

The best strategy in blood bowl is to roll pows and then roll removals; especially in the first 1-2 turns. Rolling blitzes, perfect defenses, pitch invasions that lay out half the opposing team, etc etc also helps! Much skill and tactics involved in getting these events.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

These "edge lords" are long-time BB coaches who understand the implications of the Turnover Rule, and the multi-tiered subtleties of the relationships between resources, space, and risk. This ain't Yahtzee or 40k.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
These "edge lords" are long-time BB coaches who understand the implications of the Turnover Rule, and the multi-tiered subtleties of the relationships between resources, space, and risk. This ain't Yahtzee or 40k.

Yet, the dice can still pretty kill a game.

This ain't chess either.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
The worst habit? Pretty sure meth would be very close to the top of any such list. Right below that would be blaming dice. Then picking up other players miniatures without asking first.

I didn't have 10 and a half minutes to watch the video, but I did have time to reply anyway.

winner!

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Applulz wrote:
The best strategy in blood bowl is to roll pows and then roll removals; especially in the first 1-2 turns. Rolling blitzes, perfect defenses, pitch invasions that lay out half the opposing team, etc etc also helps! Much skill and tactics involved in getting these events.

The best strategy in blood bowl is to score more touchdowns than your opponent.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Jordan surely has the wurst habit.

Making moralistic top tens comes next.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:
And just what is wrong with an all beef diet, hmmmm?

Unsustainability.

Aussies should have a taste of it as we speak.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

embrace the story rather than the game mechanics

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Heh in fairness to anisdrin he stepped out of his way to give me a pretty good piece of advice that completely changed the way I approached my coaching. Smile

What's the secret?

Please share, I don't have the time nor energy to scale the Himalayan peak to go visit Anisdrin in his cave where he lives dispensing BloodBowl wisdom.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hah thread necro! Wink Well the details were pretty specific to the match we had been playing but basically, he showed me a more strategic approach to looking at what I want to achieve in a given turn. To be less short sighted, to understand where decisions lead and how games play out, and to take a step back at the beginning of every single turn and consider the overall picture, as well as the other coach's agenda. Knowing exactly what your opponent wants at any given stage of the match is the key to beating him. So anisdrin basically gave me a rundown of how he had been ahead of me throughout the match. Wink
Applulz

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2019 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how well you play if nuffle lays out half your team in the first couple turns and you end up pitch cleared on the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSEC2yhzN4&

Tell me what the kislev coach could do there. Not get 2d blocked by horns clawmb? Good strategy.

Blood bowl is not a competitive game. Sure you can mitigate risk and play better than other people; but it really does come down to the dice a lot of the times when coaches are evenly skilled.

Oh; and there is also the OTHER side of the dice spectrum; where you can't remove a single damn AV7 player and the game is broken because of them being balanced around being removed and then it's super overpowered when the full team is around (wood elves are a prime example).
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2019 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

And yet, the same coaches consistently win tournaments and do well in ongoing leagues.

Sure, there is a lot of chance in Blood Bowl, but that doesn't make it "not a competitive game".

The most anti-competitive element actually isn't the dice at all, but the accumulatory teambuilding that can make match-ups very lopsided before on-pitch play is even a factor. All the more so since many teams aren't balanced against each other in the first place, and inducements stop short of closing TV gaps entirely, both by design. This management meta-game has its own skill elements, certainly, but it can also be "grinded" to a degree (just look at the monster elf teams that come out of Ranked to attend all major tournaments), and it's a major obstacle to having a level playing field for competition.

But something like a NAF resurrection tournament is absolutely a test of skill.
 Jump to: