22 coaches online • Server time: 07:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2019 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not an expert on the NFL by any means, so I don't know if this article is utter garbage or not, but as a casual viewer I'm convinced that:

a) close matches are more fun than lopsided matches, and high scoring matches are more fun than low scoring matches, so 5-4 > 2-1 and 2-1 > 5-0
b) all the fuss earlier this year that the NFL was ruining the game by stopping hard tackles on quarterbacks doesn't seem to have translated to a reduction in viewership numbers

Can we learn anything from this? Or rather, if you wanted to make a league that resembled the 2018 NFL (insofar as it had lots of close, high-scoring matches rather than 2-1 grinds, not in terms of turning Blood Bowl into a realistic simulation of the NFL), what would you do?

My first thought was an all-Skaven league with accurate blodge throwers, but the spectre of 16 one-turn-touchdowns sounds as dull as a 1-0 grind between two teams of dwarfs.

(There's also a lot to be said about what constitutes fun, and the intellectual value of a rigorous, carefully thought out approach to play, rather than just a high-scoring spectacle. I think I'd rather get into that in a different thread, though.)
 Jump to: