48 coaches online • Server time: 17:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
charlie1331

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
I eventually accepted a match against the offending coach, and I made every effort to brutalize his team as much as possible, and well within the rules of blood bowl. I never made clear to that coach why I played him the way I did, but I'm sorely tempted, the next time I see him spouting misogyny, to remind him of that game, and politely inform him that he got stomped "by a girl"

Did anyone else go through their matches to see if they were the culprit?

Safe to say it wasn't me as we've only played twice and I've be victorious in both matches. Whew.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Is this kind of abuse really hurtful?

Yes. Definitely.

Being called nigger by one person is much less of a problem than everyone equating you with shit.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Yes. Definitely.

Being called nigger by one person is much less of a problem than everyone equating you with shit.

Everyone? You mean one person in this case right?

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
I eventually accepted a match against the offending coach, and I made every effort to brutalize his team as much as possible

Wait a minute...you've brutalized one of MY teams! And on more than one occasion!!

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I still want to hear more about the sad fate of the white male american. I'm truly saddened to hear that they have now also become part of the long list of ethnic and sexual minorities to face serious persecution in society.

I would prefer this extra information to arrive in the form of some statistics that actually show withe males being disadvantaged in ANYTHING except their ability to dance.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Surprised some people still use the word "gay" to describe something unpleasant or uncool.
We as kids used to use it 20 years ago but times changed.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
koadah wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Yes. Definitely.

Everyone? You mean one person in this case right?

Well. that is how it's going to seem if we're going to say that it's "normalised".

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Surprised some people still use the word "gay" to describe something unpleasant or uncool.

Interesting you say this Dom. I worked in a lot of schools where children still use the term 'gay'. I asked one boy once what he thought it meant. He said 'rubbish'. After a brief conversation, it was clear he had no idea that it was linked to sexuality in any way. When it was explained, he was a little confused. Kids have many awful words for many awful things. Teenagers are much more aligned to accepting sexualities than any other generation around my area.

My point is, it's still used by the younger generation but the meaning for them is very different and not linked to sexuality as much as we might think.

It doesn't make it right though!!

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
Dominik wrote:

Interesting you say this Dom. I worked in a lot of schools where children still use the term 'gay'. I asked one boy once what he thought it meant. He said 'rubbish'. After a brief conversation, it was clear he had no idea that it was linked to sexuality in any way. When it was explained, he was a little confused. Kids have many awful words for many awful things. Teenagers are much more aligned to accepting sexualities than any other generation around my area.

My point is, it's still used by the younger generation but the meaning for them is very different and not linked to sexuality as much as we might think.

It doesn't make it right though!!

It (the German equivalent to gay) was not linked much to sexuality during my childhood as well but I got the impression that the Austrian youth do not use this word for such "rubbish" meanings anymore. But I remember that no one wanted to be "gay" that time and it was pretty clear that "gay" behaviour or whatever is associated with it would lead to serious mobbing.
It could be different in GB and other English speaking countries though.

Last edited by Dominik on %b %01, %2019 - %23:%May; edited 1 time in total
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
I think derogatory use of the word gay is completely unacceptable.

+1

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
charlie1331

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I still want to hear more about the sad fate of the white male american. I'm truly saddened to hear that they have now also become part of the long list of ethnic and sexual minorities to face serious persecution in society.

I would prefer this extra information to arrive in the form of some statistics that actually show withe males being disadvantaged in ANYTHING except their ability to dance.

Don't forget jumping

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should all stop to use these words in a general way.
In real life and online.
And I prefer education to punishment.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
every white, male, Catholic, and Trump supporter

Seems to me white male Catholics are doing just fine, unless you are ALSO a snowflake or watch too much Faux News.

Trump supporters on the other hand deserve all the scorn, hatred and ostracization that can be heaped upon them. There is no excuse for inflicting that criminal POS on this country.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer mentioned that the opponent apologised. 5 times. Presuming they are not a repeat offender here I feel like that should be it.

Sometimes people say/type things they shouldn't. I am not saying it was ok (it wasn't) but if the person in question has learned their lesson. If we get repeat or a lot of offenders then harsher action should be taken.

It should be clear that such language is against the terms of the site and Christer has said as much already.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 01, 2019 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

3. is possibly going off on a tangent, but that was my initial feeling....sick of it. I also admit I don't pay the TV licence. I never watch the thing. Japanese guy at the door......don't open it. It's never going to be a positive experience.

Now that Christer has explained, I feel this:

What was the intent? Intent has more meaning surely than actual words. They used a word that to them was ok, but horribly stereotyped.

The fact they repeatedly apologised after realising that they insulted the OP......I wouldn't punish them either. Look at the intent. Like I said in my post, different countries view abuse differently. Look at Zed's comment and how that was viewed.

For me intent means everything. Words are just a way of describing it. Everybody does it differently.
 Jump to: