44 coaches online • Server time: 14:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:

Paragraph 2 - Oh, perhaps not. Who is 'forcing' you? You can pick the tv gap and level of opponent by their CR. Now, this should be fine with you as you value CR above most other indicaters of ability.

Not true. If I challenge a coach in Ranked he can refuse the offer, therefore I can't choose team/coach for sure (there is no penalty if you turn down an offer).
Also, if a coach picks on noobs, farms his team easily, then plays vs me the challenge is not fair, because he obtained his team through picking easy games. At that point it becomes a contest of farming teams and investing time on picking the right opponent/team.
Not my cup of tea, not a fan of picking/being picked.
Also, I do not value Ranked CR as an indicator of skill.
The true indicator is Box CR in my book (and even that has some caveats, for example a coach who plays over and over a strong tier 1 team could not be as good and well-rounded as a coach who plays a wide arrays of races across different TVs).
Box CR + Box win rate + not cycling over and over a tier 1 team + playing at least 1 team per race (with the exception of tier 3 teams, because their win rate is by design under 50%) are all good indicators of a solid and all rounded coach.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

CR? Pfffft!

Show us yer trophies! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, I forgot. The book of Dakka.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

When Majors will be for Box teams only and with all the inducements implemented.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, Christer, there was this idea of having to multi activate. Rules may be discussed and tried out. I guess it could solve an issue without creating a new one.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
When Majors will be for Box teams only and with all the inducements implemented.

There was a while ago, what happened then?

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I like multiactivation idea (I multiactivate already), but some coaches complained that they lacked time to play more than 1 team and they wanted to build it for a Major.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Approximately how many times have you been drawn against Smallman?

Not addressed to me but I'll answer it anyway. Once. My Ogres against his smallkosp. A thrilling 0-1 loss where I learned a valuable lesson. Bomber Dribblesnot has right stuff (he scored from it).

Personally I like having the odd villain* around. I can see why having a villain in a sparsely populated timezone is a problem. But it's not the only problem with such a population situation. If Box is broken in NA, I think Jim Fear's solution is a sound one, League.

* villain is a loaded term. Please consider it (and the rest of my post) uttered with my admin hat firmly cast aside. I have been called out on having an opinion before.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

It was cpomb-era and I didn't have competitive teams, because the non-bashy got cpombed, while I didn't like to play cpomb-spam teams myself.
It's a bit boring to play matches where you are always the underdog, and you are at a disadvantage if you have not built your team to super high TV.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MenonaLoco wrote:
OK, Christer, there was this idea of having to multi activate. Rules may be discussed and tried out. I guess it could solve an issue without creating a new one.

You lose coaches who do not want to multi activate. You need a minimum number of coaches. Not just a lot of teams.

Also, activating three teams of similar TV does not help much.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Or if we have 5 o 6 majors a year, why not have one for box only? Everybody who values box grown teams more can see such a major as THE major.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Throweck wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

It was cpomb-era and I didn't have competitive teams, because the non-bashy got cpombed, while I didn't like to play cpomb-spam teams myself.
It's a bit boring to play matches where you are always the underdog, and you are at a disadvantage if you have not built your team to super high TV.

There are still Brawls. Maybe they should bring back Minors. Mr. Green

Maybe you could try for a Shield. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 23:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The true indicator is Box CR in my book (and even that has some caveats, for example a coach who plays over and over a strong tier 1 team could not be as good and well-rounded as a coach who plays a wide arrays of races across different TVs).
Box CR + Box win rate + not cycling over and over a tier 1 team + playing at least 1 team per race (with the exception of tier 3 teams, because their win rate is by design under 50%) are all good indicators of a solid and all rounded coach.

Did it ever occur to you MattDakka that your definition of 'good bb coach' is frighteningly close to your own personal opinions and play style? Happy co-incidence?

Now I accept you may have spent years before you ever played BB working out, using statistics and reasoning and sampling the views widely across the population of BB players, to come to such a standpoint, and then afterwards learned to play and honed your style to be as similar to BB perfection as possible.

But is it also not possible that this is just 'what you like' and that you have replaced personal choice with 'everyone must play the way i like to be valid'?

Might not a 'good' BB coach be able to play much more widely across this diverse hobby, and not just be an expert in the very small niche of BB play you describe?

Another thought:
To avoid picking in R, simply green light anything within X of your team, 10%, 10TV, whatever. To ensure variety maybe not accept anything from the last race(or 2, or 3)you faced.

Voila! no picking your side.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Why should an all box tournament be a minor?
Majors need to have different profiles anyway, so why not make one box only?

One thing is the ability to see and appreciate the things that work well - but beware to not end up like soccer, where NOTHING is tried out. where they need decades to use cameras, etc.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
the only thing that could conceivably improve the off-peak Blackbox situation is a system change.

That's categorically untrue.

It takes 4-5 people willing to make an effort instead of just complaining and saying "it doesn't work". I've said this many times in the past:

Find a group of nice people in the US time zone who are prepared to show up at 8pm central (or whatever) to activate in the box. Do it once per day or once per week.. Make a meta group for it if you want and have people get points for consecutive days of participation or whatever gamification things you want and have energy for. Get people involved and invested in actually showing up regularly.

If people see that there's a reliable time for a pairing, they'll likely make the time to show up.

All I can say to this is: much easier said than done. Without going into fine details, I actually tried to set up such a group of active NA Box FUMBBLers when the last Box Trophy started, and it failed spectacularly. We didn't even get a single activation. And this was starting with a group of people who already play on FUMBBL and had signed up to a year-long tournament.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
 Jump to: