29 coaches online • Server time: 08:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will you be leaving?
Yes, we're ready to take on all races!
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
Maybe a bit, but I'll keep the forest in sight.
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
No Way! Those other races are big meanies!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I'll be departing from this clickbait-titled thread.
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
Who could walk away from all this PIE!!!
31%
 31%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 41

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2019 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Season LXVIII runs 06 September, 2019 through 31 Oct, 2019.

Your elves, all of them. Dark, High, Union & Wood. Are they ready to leave the forest yet?

Well, are they?

"What is this E.L.F. thing all about," you may be asking? Well, read on to find out more!

Step 1.

Apply with any Dark, High, Union or Wood elf team in Ranked, Black Box or League down at the bottom of the E.L.F. Group Members Tab. [Select (your elf) Team] in the drag down box and click "Apply for Membership." Once you've done that, your team is a member until you (Leave) the group or until the end of a season after you Retire the team.

You can apply and play with as many teams in as many different divisions as you like. Want to see which of your teams can do best in a season? Feel free to compete against yourself!

Step 2.

Start playing matches against a variety of different races. We count your best score against 2 different races in each of our 5 Categories for a total of 10 matches that count towards your score. Once you get in that set of 10 matches, you're said to have completed the E.L.F Cycle.
Congrats!

Quote:
Opponent Team Categories
A (Plug & Play): Orcs, Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf
B (Better with Age): Chaos, Nurgle, Pact
C (Bones & Moans): Necro, Undead, Khemri, Vamps
D (Agile): Dark Elves, Skaven, Slann, High Elves, Wood, Pro (Union)
E (Humans & Stunties): Norse, Human, Lizzies, Zons, Ogre, Underworld, Halflings/Goblin

The Java program will take the 2 best matches (but only 1 per race) no matter in what order they were played. So as you play matches:

#1 Orcs - 60 points
#2 Chaos Dwarves - 54 points

These 1st two matches both count for you Category A score. Then you play another:

#3 Dwarves - 53 points

Since your other scores are better, this third match is ignored. It doesn't count for Category A or anything else - only 2 scores per Category are considered. Play again and get:

#4 Orcs - 61 points

Then the 61-point Orc match and the 54-point Chaos Dwarf match would be the ones that count. Even though your 2nd best score in category A was the 1st one you played against Orcs, you can only count one per race so that is thrown out and replaced by the 4th match where you scored 61. You play a 5th match:

#5 Dwarves - 62 points.

Now match #5 and match #4 are the ones that count. Even though Orcs and CDs were the 1st two races you played the program doesn't care, CDs are now replaced by Dwarves!

This happens for all 5 Categories such that you never have more than 10 matches counting for your overall score. The only oddball thing is that Halflings and Goblins share a "race" slot such that only one score can count even though you might play both of those races (and have your 2 best scores).

Step 3.

Java program? Yes, the scoring it tracked automatically! I try and post an update every other day on the E.L.F Tournaments Tab. There you can see a complete list of everyone's counted scoring matches and ranking in the standings.

How do you score points?

Quote:
Points Awarded
Baseline:

Game played= 10 points at 1,000,000 TV or less

and every additional 1-200,000 of TV - 1 point

so,
0 - 1,000,000 - 10
1,000,001-1,200,000 - 11
1,200,001-1,400,000 -12
1,400,001-1,600,000-13
and so on...

This is the TV of the opponent or the ELF team, whichever is less.

Result:

Win= +10 pts
Draw= +5 pts

Scoring:

Per td scored= +1 pts
Per td allowed= -1 pts

Casualties:

Per cas caused= +1 pts
No negative modifier for casualties against - you've already suffered enough!

Bonuses:

Score 5 or more touchdowns= +2 pts
Shutout victory (opponent does not score)= +2 pts
Force opponent concession= +3 pts

Double points awarded for all Category A games - multiply your total score x2.
Double baseline points awarded for all Category B games - multiply your baseline score x2.

Woah, that's a lot! Just remember that the higher the TV of both teams, the better. The more you score & inflict casualties and the less they score, the better.

Step 4.

Win stuff!

We'll recognize the Top 3 Spots in the Overall Standings:
ImageImageImage

You can also gain fame by having the highest total in any of the 5 Categories:

We'll recognize the Top 3 brave and determined souls who complete in Black Box:
ImageImageImage

The top League team is honored as well:

Oh, and we mourn along with the team suffering the most casualties in their scoring matches:

Step 5.

Some coaches take on extra challenges that have become part of the League's lore:

Synnful Sprint

Coach Synn; likes to add an extra bit of difficulty to an E.L.F. season - something known as a "sprint." The challenge is to take a new TR100 team and refuse all matches vs. other elves for the first 20 games. After that time, the sprinter is free to play other elves.

Extra difficult and not for the squeamish!

Dalfort Dash

Playing 10 different races not enough of a challenge for you?

Coach Dalfort suggests you try and play all 24 races during the course of a season. Once you have done so you have completed a Dash!

Kondor Kluster

You know you can coach more than one team in a season, right?

Coach Kondor suggests you complete the Cycle with one of each of the four elf races in a single season. Do you have the fortitude for forty matches minimum?

These aren't really anything official, just another thing some of the coaches like challenge themselves to do.

Step 6.

Maybe you're seeking some simpler fame and fortune. How about breaking a scoring record and being remembered that way?

Seasons XXVI+ Scoring Records.

Point Totals
Overall: Born To Live Forever - 473 points.
Category A: Naggaroth Zaphyrs - 150 points.
Category B: Born To Live Forever - 113 points.
Category C: Slim Chance Brigade & Dark EIves in Disguise - 74 points.
Category D: Dollhouse, Elvish Marmelade, Slim Chance Brigade & Moon Assassins - 79 points.
Category E: Kickstarter - 86 points.

Single Match
Most TDs: Slim Chance Brigade - 9
Most Cas: Dallas Dendrophiliacs - 14
Most Cas Against: Arboron Furies - 12
Highest Gate: Feyenoord Rotterdam - 59,000

Season
Most Cas Against: woodland fawns - 50

Get your sights set on one or more of these!

Step 7.

When does this all happen?

Season LXVIII runs 06 September, 2019 through 31 Oct, 2019.

We'll accept applications from all elf teams up until the last 2 weeks of the season.

So, are you ready to join the #1 Metagroup on Fumbbl?

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2019 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I did leave - the group.

The last few seasons have seen some engage in the sort of picking that made me decide I didn't want to endorse this by association any more.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2019 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody pays attention to the Ranked ones anyway.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2019 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Cherry picking requires a certain skill. It's not something anyone can do, especially in Ranked when your opponent can say "no".

Thus why my easiest games this year have been in Box.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2019 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I did expect that reply or something like it, so let me just let history speak for itself:

The idea of E.L.F. in the first place is to eliminate picking. The point that we were trying to make is that we would take on all contenders. Completing the cycle is very much in the spirit of the group, thus bringing elvish domination to all other races. If somewhere along the line it turned into a competition for racking up little trophies by picking on weaker opponents, then you've managed to completely miss the point.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2019 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Eliminating picking is pretty much an impossible goal in an open division.

You can talk about reducing it. Would you have a committee that weighs up "strength of schedule"?

If you make it too hardcore, you won'tget many takers.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

My suggestion is to make the base equal to your opponent's gate. (Instead of flat 10). This adds a slightly random factor, but makes the best scores only possible against the best teams (who have the highest fan factor). This would then be further modified by the lower TV of the two teams, as already done.

I'd also remove points for touchdowns (both for and against) and cas, while leaving the bonuses for shutouts and 5+ touchdowns (although I would break this up to give 1 point for your 3rd touchdown, and a 2nd point for the 5th touchdown - still want to encourage not stalling). This makes the score about the win, in any style. Then the bonus points are about playstyle; and even if someone plays against weaker teams for a 5-0 win to get maximum bonus points, thats only 4 bonus points, which is about the difference between a weak team (5 fan factor) and an average team (9 fan factor).

Also, we're elves. No need to reward dicings that happen to cause a lot of cas. We win on touchdowns, not blood!

In particular, this should bring the field much closer between box and ranked, as someone in ranked might pick weaker teams, but on average would end up getting much lower scores than a random opponent in the box.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Last edited by MenonaLoco on Oct 23, 2021 - 23:28; edited 1 time in total
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

"Box only" ELF is not my intention, nor should it really be something to discuss - I was not intending to make this a ranked vs box discussion at all. In some ways because E.L.F. still really is, to me, more of an R metagroup than a B/R one.

E.L.F. predates the box by some time, and to be frank, if two coaches completed the cycle playing only vs legends, one in ranked and one in box, the cycle completed in Ranked would be arguably more impressive as the coach in question would have chosen that challenge, rather than simply have a scheduler tell him "how'd ya like this game, punk?".

Nelphine's idea on the gate is interesting and appears to have some merit Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be appropriate for opponent CR to carry weight. Currently coaches are encouraged to pick bloated teams with weaker coaching in order to hit certain point yielding achievements. If at least one of the measurements for points earned was enemy CR, I think it would help balance the issue.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if the score for a match could be adjusted depending on the relative CRs of each coach?

This could allow coaches that enjoy easier matches to play on, they just might not get as many points as they would if they played against someone with a similar or higher CR.

edit: Ha! - beat me to it Relezite Laughing

Last edited by Rbthma on Sep 07, 2019 - 03:50; edited 1 time in total
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

That's actually why I chose opponent gate. Opponent's can have awesome CR, but be playing a bad team (for instance, flings or gobbos) - giving someone bonus points for that isn't really the ideal point. On the other hand, if someone has good fan factor, either they are perfectly lucky, or, they're good at coaching that team. Either way, beating them is worth the points, regardless of their overall CR. (It also allows for league E.L.F.s to get points as well if their opponents don't happen to play in competitive leagues.)

Finally, I've ran numbers on last seasons top 3 teams + top box team, if you look at the CR of coaches, the difference between those 4 teams from last season is not actually as much as you'd expect based on the points differences. Weighting by gate makes a much bigger difference to the scores than CR.

CR also encourages bizarre things like having the E.L.F. coach play fling games between every game just to have a lower CR. Definitely not ideal either. To avoid it, you end up not accounting for the coaches CR, at which point you can't account for relative difference. Without relative difference, you get bizarre things like a 150 coach losing points because they play against a 'low' ranked 155 coach. Very unhelpful.

Gate used to be used, and worked quite well, and was received well by the coaches. Then the gate rule changed in CRP, and it was set to a default 10; updating to account for gate in CRP should hopefully recapture that old rule well.
Relezite

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 03:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean CR difference. Involving the ELF coach's CR just encourages CR tanking. I just meant opponent CR.

You only get one stunty team counted, and as long as you find a game its likely to be a shutout anyways, it's not really a factor, more of a freebie.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, but you can be bad at more than one team, and you can have fluff teams, etc. These teams will have low FF, even if you have high CR; and they will be easier for the E.L.F. player, which still leads to picking. FF will only go up if people actually win games with their team, regardless of their overall CR.

And encouraging people to try to pick a stunty game to get around the CR rule, when that category has the most possible races, also doesn't seem like a good idea.
lemf

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2019 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh My!!!!
Some people do seem to overthink things IMHO. select gamefinder, Check have I played this race yet this season? Select play.
Get mashed up
Rebuild team Very Happy

Simples
 Jump to: