19 coaches online • Server time: 06:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ordrek

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I just played a game where the other coach had a pass block player. It seemed that the game was allowing the pass-blocker to move even if he could not get into the path of teh ball or into the catcher/thrower's TZ.

Is this intended that it doesn't work like it does in the LRB? If so, can you move multiple PBers this way like you could in the old editions? I remember old school teams where nearly every play had PB just to get some free moves against passing teams, not necessarily to interfere with the ball. If it works like this, I may invest in it myself.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Rimmer

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you sure he moved 3 squares?

JBB lets you stop before you have reached the interception area...

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have multiple passblockers, you may use more than one of them to put tzs on the thrower or catcher or get in the path of the ball.

According to the LRB, you may not use passblock unless you end up in one of those positions. JavaBBowl, however, lets you end a player's movement before he/she makes it into a legal position (edit: although, as Ski noted below, you can only move into legal spaces, at least. You can't just wander off, you can only move into legal spaces... it's just a limitation in the program that you can stop before you legally should be able to do so. Sorry if this was a little unclear.).

Now, just because JavaBBowl lets you do it, doesn't mean it's a legal move. Read the rules page (in particular the order of precedence). If someone can follow LRB rules and chooses not to, then it's illegal. It's a pretty obscure rule, so it's very possible that it is an honest mistake, but it is forbidden by the league rules.

If your opponent does this, then you should mention it, but accept the outcome of what they've done - it was an honest mistake and no reason to interrupt game play. If they continue to do it despite being told it is illegal, report it. If they don't believe/agree with you, then ask in #fumbbladmin. If you do it yourself, report yourself... and feel shame, since you already read this and knew, obviously. Razz

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %03, %2004 - %22:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Ordrek

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Rimmer wrote:
Are you sure he moved 3 squares?

JBB lets you stop before you have reached the interception area...
That is kinda my point. If PB is supposed to allow you to just move your player when the other side tries to pass. If so its a pretty stellar skill... a little mini turn for all your players with PB. Heck, I'd even put PB on a mummy with break tackle just to be able to position him better.

Also, what is JBB? I'm talking about Pass-Block. in LRB3.0 (which I thought were the rules FUMBBL uses), you can only use PB if it gets you into the path of the ball or the TZ of the catcher/thrower.
odi

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

JBB, Java Blood Bowl, th client we use here.
Ordrek

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I was hoping that wasn't the answer. One of the things I was most looking forward to in 'JBB' was that one wouldn't need to worry about rules interpretations or enforcing the rules on the other coach because it was hard coded. Oh well, its a pretty minor one, but I wish the client was programmed to only allow you to move into specific squares. Basically just program it so that if they end up standing in a square other than those indicated, they are automatically reset to their beginning square. But, if they fall down during the move, let them end their move anywhere. Seems like this would be possible to program.
Znail

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Actualy, if you do some liberal intepretion of the Pass Block rule then you may be alowed to move anywhere you want with the Pass Block skill, but the limit is that you have to be able to reach an intercept position, the thrower or the catcher. One of the more obvious reasons to alow this is that you still have to dodge etc so you may not be able to complete the move even if you try.
Ordrek

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Here is how it could work:

-Opponent declares a pass
-Client lights up the squares that are eligable for interception or are next to the catcher/thrower.
-Client prompts you to move your pass blockers.
-You move your PBs, some may fall from dodges
-When all PBers have moved, the client checks the standing PBers for being in one of the lit up squares. If they are in one, they stay there and may be chosen to make an interception if applicable.
-Those PBers NOT in one of the indicated squares or not eating turf are moved to their original positions.

That would enforce the correct way of using PB without the honor system.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 22:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well to answer what i think is part of your question: If the pass block player cannot reach a point where they would/could intercept of interfere with throw or catch, then they do not get to move at all. However as said. Even if they can the client does not force them to move to the space/spaces where they could do this. though it does prevent moves that would make getting there within the allocated moves possible. Where it falls down is it doesnt force you to complete the move into the blocking/intecepting position.
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

It seemed that the game was allowing the pass-blocker to move even if he could not get into the path of teh ball or into the catcher/thrower's TZ.

It does not work like this. A PB will only get the chance to move if they have the ability make it to a valid square in three MA. Even then, they are not allowed to use their movement to run 3 squares in the opposite direction. JBB resricts them to moving to squares that will eventually make them stop on a valid square. It does not however, keep them from only using 1 or 2 squares of movement and stopping short. This is not ideal but is not nearly as bad and a completely free 3 square move. Difficulties in the event handling made it work like it does.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2004 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ordrek wrote:
I was hoping that wasn't the answer. One of the things I was most looking forward to in 'JBB' was that one wouldn't need to worry about rules interpretations or enforcing the rules on the other coach because it was hard coded...

Ask ski noted, at least this is the case. Also, as you noted, this is a pretty obscure thing. It doesn't come up too often. At least I (and my opponents) generally go to great lengths to avoid passblockers and as such passblock is almost as good when it _doesn't_ go off... it means you've restricted your opponent's passing lanes without a single roll.

I honestly can't think of a single time where this has ever even come up in a game of mine. With the restricted spaces for movement, it's rare that moving off into a good position to set up a TZ downfield (or whatever illegal thing you'd want to do) is possible and a lot of people here just won't do that because they know it's cheating.

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2004 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding the alternative to "reset" the player's position to the starting square if he/she failed to reach a valid square on the Pass Block move, I unfortunately must say that Stand Firm could result in an involuntary violation of the rules as the player nowadays is returned to the square he/she came from if a dodge into the next square is failed. Your idea is still valid, but would need the special case for Stand Firm characters. I agree that this should (and I am a programmer...) be very easy to implement, just like the option to follow up on a Frenzy block/blitz (which is also missing), if I may thread-jack a wee bit.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2004 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

What is the rule if you have Multiple pass blockers, lets say 3, and all are eligible to move once a pass has been declared. If the first one fails a dodge and falls over does the "turn" end? Or do you still get a chance to move the others?

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2004 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

You still get a chance to move the others

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2004 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, which is bogus. Having the ability to move eveyone with PB (that's in range) really makes PB over-powered. Now all of a sudden half of my team is moving in his turn. Not only that, but with guys like Pro Elf catchers it's insane.

How hard could it be to limit it to 1 per pass action?
 Jump to: