29 coaches online • Server time: 09:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed that a coach taking part to the Trophy in the Box rankings has just 9 Box games played, but he has more games played than 9 with Trophy team.
Is there a bug in Box rankings?

I talk about this page:

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coaches&order=&type=blackbox&r=4961
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe he was the away team and home played open.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

But it's a huge difference, it's impossible that so many games were not recorded in Box.
Box Trophy games happen vs other Box teams only, so it can't be just 9 games, considering he has finished the Trophy run.
It should be at least 15 games.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah you are talking about Elyod's Elf Union team! That one played in tournaments a good bit.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

But it's a Trophy team as well, so for sure more than 9 games played in the Box.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

No, the others were tournament games.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting.

So tournament games count towards the BBT but not BB ranking?

I see that some are tagged:

scheduler: "None",

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought that Box Trophy games were supposed to be played only with the Box scheduler.
So a Box Trophy team can play tournament games and Box games?
I thought that Box Trophy teams had to finish their Trophy run before playing in tournaments.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

I thought that Box Trophy teams had to finish their Trophy run before playing in tournaments.

As you do not pick your opponent in a tournament, allowing those games to count towards BBT seem reasonable IMO.

Though, then you could argue that they should count towards Box rating too.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Technically, a Box game is arranged with the Box scheduler.
Tournament games could have bigger TV gaps and no rookie team protection.
Not implying that tournament games are easier than Box games (or the other way around), just, they are not Box games and the Trophy is a Box Trophy, not a 15-game-sprint Trophy.
There is a lack of consistency.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, any game that a box team is eligible for, including box tournaments, have always been recognized as part of the BBT. In particular, this has always included majors, brawls, and RRRs.

This has often been used as a way for a team that is too low in TV to get matched by the scheduler, to still get games and therefore avoiding ruining the BBT run for that squad. In turn this was particularly important when you couldn't start a new squad until the previous one was finished, but your team had a particularly bad game that left you under 800tv.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2023 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Every day I learn something, thanks for clarification!
So, Box Trophy actually is not a Box-only-15-game-run as I thought.
Glad I never played it, I don't like logical inconsistency.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2023 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I must admit this is news to me... a BBT squad team should really only play Box Scheduler games. Once you've hit 15 games, then you can do what you want, but seems odd you can pull out of the BBT and go play in a tourney and get some other games and come back to the BBT.

I appreciate in the scheduler that you may play non BBT teams and you may play teams that have the ability to both spin in the scheduler and play picked games in "rank" style, but for a team to be playing in the BBT... I assumed it was pure box scheduler?
wintergreen13

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2023 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I don't see the issue personally, since you are not likely to get "easier" games by putting your team through a tournament. So what if you actively choose to give yourself more difficult matches (still randomly chosen, at least in that the set of teams you play is random)?

And if you want to split hairs, all it says on the trophy page is that, "Teams in a squad are forced into 'Blackbox Only' mode for the duration of the trophy." This is obviously quite different than them having to play all games via scheduler - teams in 'Blackbox Only' mode are, of course, free to enter tournaments at will without losing this status. The idea that a squad is scheduler only is a misreading of the trophy rules. It would have been funny if every Blackbox team that entered a tournament was forced to move to Ranked Smile
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2023 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I think the point is not the ability to play Black Box and tourneys, but rather the Black Box Trophy is a "special case" in which it is a tournament itself and the games in the Scheduler are tight in terms of TV. If you entered a tourney you could be playing as overdog or underdog in parameters that are larger than games in the Scheduler.
 Jump to: