24 coaches online • Server time: 14:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JamesLangley

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently, there is an option in User Settings --> Pitch --> Pitch Markings that adds numbers for each column (in horizontal mode), indicating how many squares that column is from the End Zone. This is a very useful feature.

I am suggesting there also be an option that would add letters in the End Zone in a similar manner, with A through O, that could of course be toggleable (as I understand some people may not want it getting in the way of the team names in the End Zone). While this does not necessarily make gameplay more efficient in the way that the column numbers do, having a way to refer to a certain square on the pitch (i.e. Red A2, Blue 8M, etc.) would be extremely useful for teaching beginners to Blood Bowl where FUMBBL may be their first exposure. In addition to that, it helps give a clear idea for people discussing potential plays in Spectator chat or when watching/discussing a replay (i.e. The ball carrier needs to move to Blue C3 to get out of the blitzer's range, etc.). Also potentially, 0 could be added for the column numbers for the End Zone column -- though there may need to be some font size adjustments to fit that as well as a row letter in.

While not a necessary feature, I feel this would be a very helpful feature for teaching newcomers and discussing proper strategy.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

agree!will make also easier to post-match comment.

In future s.o could even think to develop a sort oa algebric notation like the quite famous existing for chess games
eg
Turn1 T1BlA1-A2, T2CtA8-A7 (the Team1 Blitzer move from A1 to A2... Catcher of T2 move from A8 to A7)... etc...
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same idea some time ago. +1.
It would be nice, if possible, to have the coordinates of a specific square automatically shown when the mouse arrow is on it.
badger89

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The client already does number the squares, in X,Y format
0,0 is the top left corner
So 13,7 is the middle of the LOS or something like that

Normally this is hidden from the user though... you can see it when a Ball & Chain player is moving

It must be mirrored for the opponent coach, or for one of the coaches

Last edited by Sp00keh on %b %24, %2023 - %13:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

To be useful it should not be mirrored, but unequivocal (edit).

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %24, %2023 - %13:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Unequivocal?

Hmm.. depends. I don't know if the opponent would see it being converted for them, in client
Or if they'd see the same numbers, which means 0,0 for them is flipped to the top right
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2023 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Unequivocal, yes, thanks!
Not flipped, not reversed. The same square coordinates shown to everybody watching or playing the match, as in Chess.
I meant this.
That helps to comment and analyze a match or match replay. I remember some time ago that I was helping a guy new to BB and it was very hard without the coordinates.
It's way easier and quicker to say: "You should have moved the Catcher to square (A 13) rather than to square (A, 9)".

By the way for the coordinates I think it's better to use a letter and a number, like in Chess. 2 numbers can create confusion.
 Jump to: