52 coaches online • Server time: 21:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Today I played a game where I tried a 6+ dodge with a Pro Treeman with the purpose of failing it to be safe from Clawmb.
Actually the dodge was successful and I would have liked to reroll it with Pro (trying to fail it) but the Pro dialogue pop-up window didn't appear.
If possible, I'd like a client option to enable Pro dialogue window even when a roll is successful.

Thanks for attention!
Joost

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I see your point, and sometimes I would even not like to use the Block skill, but personally I think that the cons of all the useless action windows popping up outweigh the pros of the occasional desired reroll for a fail. Edited: it might even result in unwanted missclicks using pro to do an unwanted reroll more than that it would be used for a desired reason.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

This is why I suggested it as client option. If you didn't like the pop-up spam you could just disable the option.
Not failing that dodge cost me the Treeman (I didn't lose him, but he was blitzed and removed from the pitch).
It may seem a minor thing but it could make a big difference in some games.

About disabling Block: while 99% of times I want to use Block, I quite often try to fail on purpose dodges and rushes with my Treeman when playing vs Clawmb.
Also, Block tends to be more common than Pro.
It's rare to have many players with Pro, while it's quite common to have Block (either as default skill or earned).
The risk of pop-up spam with Pro would be very low, and anyway, if it were optional, everybody could decide to face the pop-up spam or not.

Another scenario could be using Pro to reroll a successful catch you didn't want (for example, because it's turn 8 and you are trying to score).

The option, with 2 tick boxes, could be like this:

"Ask to use Pro only in case of failed roll" (selected as default option in the client)

or

"Always ask to use Pro, even when the roll is successful"

If you select one you de-select the other one.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's not a matter of taste here. If the reroll on the PRO is to be guaranteed for every die roll (even successful) and is not amended by the official rules or the G&W Errata then-from a purely ruleset point of view, this is a bug that should be reported here https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs (Tag: Rule breaking).

However, I believe that G&W will soon provide clarity on this point in the upcoming Designer Commentary
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

There is a site rule about the client:

"If the client does something wrong in the result calculations it is considered as an interpretation of the rules and the match stands as-is. This includes out-of-sync type problems which make the client end the game prematurely."

So, Pro not allowed even in case of successful roll is considered an "interpretation of the rules" and we can't complain (yes, I'm saying this, shock! Very Happy ), but I kindly and politely suggested to have the option, if possible.
Another "interpretation" of the rules is not being able to use a rr in order to fail a successful roll you didn't want to succeed (a classic example is a scattered bouncing ball caught by a player who already moved).

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %07, %2023 - %12:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

mmm ... i am not sure we can consider a lack of sync at the same level of impossibility of a reroll when it should be allowed by the rules. Anyway interesting debate, but IMO if you want a clear answer from the staff is better you report this like a bug (as also suggested by site rule: "All bugs in the client should be reported through the "Bug Reports" system of the site."
So you can get a clear answer if this is an interpretation allowed or if this could be fixed in future.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure about it being a bug. It could be a deliberate client design choice to prevent the pop-up spam, and this makes sense, but with a client option people could choose to have the spam or not.
If, for example, I could enable the pop-up to use a team rr (or Pro) even in case of successful roll, I could tick the option on turn 8, when I'm trying to scatter the ball out of a crowded place to score and I don't want to catch it with a player who already moved.
I mean, with an option there would be the flexibility. If it's turn 8 and I want to score facing a pop-up spam is fine. It couldn't be fine for the rest of the game, but for that single important turn I'm willing to face a pop-up spam. This is why I'm suggesting a client option as compromise, to enable/disable pop-up windows at will.
yudlugar

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You would not be able to use pro to reroll a catch by a player that already moved.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

No, but you could be able to use Pro to reroll a catch you didn't want with a player who is moving (during his Action, while still being active). It could be even at the end of the Move, for example during a Blitz Action with a Pro player who scattered the ball and caught it.
This is what I meant.
JamesLangley

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2023 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Similarly, you do not get a choice to use Thick Skull. There could be an advantage to getting KO'd if you're already pretty much screwed and you're worried about a nasty foul if your opponent has a major advantage/chainsaw and your Thick Skull piece is someone valuable.

One of the big ones is you also cannot roll a successful Throw Team-mate, even if it isn't a superb throw. Sometimes, you may want to re-roll and aim for a superb throw, either for the SPP, or to have a higher chance at landing, especially if you have a lot of re-rolls.

I've brought this up before in the FUMBBL Discord and was told that it was unlikely that there would be an option to allow for more control over re-rolls that currently get denied automatically.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2023 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The blessed statue of Nuffle lasted for the entirety of the 2nd half rather than one drive in this match https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4483307

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2023 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi gridironman

There is a bug tracker section, also accessible under Help (the hover submenu)

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs

It's what the dev team uses to keep track of bugs, as forum threads can get overlooked

It's also a place for "Feature Requests"

All contributions and reports on the aforementioned bugs section are greatly appreciated

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2023 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Gridironman wrote:
The blessed statue of Nuffle lasted for the entirety of the 2nd half rather than one drive in this match https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4483307

Blessed Statue of Nuffle is supposed to last for the remainder of the game. It just has to be given to someone who is playing during the drive when it is introduced (be it from prayers at the start of the game or Cheering Fans). Both the league and exhibition Prayers to Nuffle charts say this.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2023 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

JamesLangley wrote:
Gridironman wrote:

Blessed Statue of Nuffle is supposed to last for the remainder of the game. It just has to be given to someone who is playing during the drive when it is introduced (be it from prayers at the start of the game or Cheering Fans). Both the league and exhibition Prayers to Nuffle charts say this.

I retract my concerns! Thank you.