13 coaches online • Server time: 05:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

dumpoff catchers are the bane of any team... give them the ball and spread out the attack... how are you supposed to defend that???

BTW it helps a lot of you are luck on skill rolls like i have been with my faction team so far! Smile
Frankie

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, pro elves suck indeed! When their annoying blitzers seem to be indestructable and those sneaky catchers cannot be hunted down and when you sweat through a whole halftime just to fall on some banana hatch in the end and the opponents rush over the field in a single turn well... Crying or Very sad
Bathoz

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I like pro elves: the total reliance on a long bomb offence is really novel for me.

But: I think the cheap lino's are where the pro elves start to suffer. They're such throw-away players, that you don't end up with the very skillful lineman that make the dark & high elf teams so effective at the higher TR end.

And for a relatively successful elf team in R that doesn't cherry pick:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=65805

Please note the vast number of deaths in the first two games. All that without an apo. Until recently I had a average of one player retired/dead a game. Fun.
Renno

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The key players for Pro Elves are the blitzers. You need at least 1 Catcher + 1 Blitzer + Kick Skill to prevent the wedge.

Kick that ball deep and then go get it. Wink

By second half the bashy teams will pull back 5 players to surround the ball carrier or ball so you're not scoring at will on them.

With 5 players in the back field you now have only 6 near the line to molest.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking at the win ratios between elf teams playing each other (not representative but a good indication) looks like Woodies>High>Pro>Dark although the difference between Pro and Dark is small.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think elf bowl is too representative... Odd that darkelves are at the bottom though Shocked

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I dont think elf bowl is too representative... Odd that darkelves are at the bottom though

Dark Elves are pretty weak at lower TRs, which is where most games are played. They are also "popular" so n00bs will often field them as their first elven team (decent AV makes them a bit more forgiving and they have a certain "coolness factor" that high elves lack). High proportion of n00b coaches = lots of losses.
At least that's my theory Smile
I still think Dark Elves are a potentially great team at the 250+ level, and lots of fun to play. Decent matchups against every opponent, especially if you manage to have 3 or 4 guards.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

My dark elves had me scratching my head...they started their career playing vs nurgles, dwarves, chaos, norse...and not only winning, but out-casing them to boot! Get up to about TR 215 or so, and all of a sudden I start to lose players at an alarming rate...to other elven teams!!! Go fig...

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Just think about that one
Take Dump Off for each double on catcher...
Take NoS for each double on thrower and then dump off...

Off course you need to play 2 or 3 light game for one against human/orc/chaos and avoid dwarf team but if you take dodge for first lino skill i m sure you can realy make it.
I m not sure you need to taker more than 3 or 4 reroll anyway... i think it s better to keep money to change lino with niggle and have full roster...

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting Dump Off and Nerves of Steel across the board is all well and good, but as far as I am aware that doesn't win you any games... A good offence is a must, but it's very easy to get a good offence with elves without resorting to "if you try to take my ball away I'll just throw it to someone else". If you do that your opponent will, if he is any good, most likely resort to "Okay fine, then I cage on your end-zone for six turns while beating the snot out of you before scoring" (I'd do that anyway).

My point here is that a good defence is a lot more important than an unstoppable offence, seeing how the difference between "good offence" (standard) and "unstoppable offence" is almost negligible anyway. Neither Nerves of Steel nor Dump Off are a big help on defence. Getting a Guard/Leap combo is probably a better idea...

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree... Guard Leap Sidestep and you'll be VERY ANNOYING to play against.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

My point here is that a good defence is a lot more important than an unstoppable offence, seeing how the difference between "good offence" (standard) and "unstoppable offence" is almost negligible anyway. Neither Nerves of Steel nor Dump Off are a big help on defence. Getting a Guard/Leap combo is probably a better idea...

Just thought these wise words deserved repeating.
Defense wins games. In a well played game of elf ball, you'll be on offense exactly once, but you'll be on defence 3-5 times. Twisted Evil
Znail

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

tautology wrote:
Quote:

Just thought these wise words deserved repeating.
Defense wins games. In a well played game of elf ball, you'll be on offense exactly once, but you'll be on defence 3-5 times. Twisted Evil

Defence is deffinitly the key to winning games with large number of goals. But I personaly find Dump Off to be alot better for defence then offence. During offence so can you generaly score without it. But at defence so will you often get the ball without being able to score directly and have a need to hold onto the ball for a turn within blitz range, this is where Dump Off is best.

Nerves of Steel is almost always a help during Offence, but its far from useless during Defence too.
Lorion

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Great way to use dump off... Znail. Get the player to posses the ball and then place another player close by. Still I can't see how often this will happen though it is a great idea for a pro-elf tactic. I usually just yell at the randomizer until I get dice rolls that are good enough... Hey, it works.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't agree enough with what a few of you are saying in regards to defense being the key. I finally rolled a double with my Elf team I linked to in a previous post. My first thought was dump-off but then I had to ask myself the following: I've a passer with pass, accurate, strong arm, safethrow, sure he won't live forever, but how often do I need to run the ball where a dump-off will even be needed? Then I thought about playing defense and the number of times I've knocked the ball clear only to have nowhere to 'clear' it to that would be safe. Maybe having the dump-off guy handy is what I needed. What do the rest of you think? Should I be taking dumpoff on this catcher?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=72507
 Jump to: