89 coaches online • Server time: 22:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Agree or disagree with the idea.
Agree categorically.
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Disagree categorically.
10%
 10%  [ 12 ]
30 days is too long.
78%
 78%  [ 94 ]
30 days isn't long enough.
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 119

Zarkhor

Post 4 Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a sad state of affairs that I'm becoming used to people demonstrating poor sportsmanship by just quitting a game, rather than conceding or taking a loss.

Per the rules for disconnected games, found at:

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=DisconnectionProblems

...the idea is that sure, you can't prove the opponent disconnected.

There is a point beyond which one has a pretty good idea about a player's intentions of resuming a game, and that is after they have failed to respond to your PM to complete the game. How long is long enough?

I propose 30 days.

If your opponent hasn't responded positively to your request to complete a game in that time, I think everyone can agree that they never will. Once that point is reached, I believe an admin should step in, load the teams, and on the dropper's turn, concede, ensuring that any earned SPPs are retained.

I have one Wood Elf team in perpetual limbo because my opponent just decided he deserved better luck than he got, and now I have a High Elf team that is going to enjoy the same fate, unless I decide to let it go.
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I DO NOT AGREE! A MONTH IS TOO LONG!

I believe that a weak is enough time.

Why should you wait longer? When a game is started it must be finished and the disconnected person has all the liability to continue the game. I know that everyone knows this because I'm a new player and this is the first thing I learned around here.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

a week at maximum. Add the guy in buddy list. If does connect but do not reply to pm, that means he has no intention to finish it.
Zarkhor

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently, admins will put a block on a player until they finish the game. As a result, people will just create new IDs, leaving the person who *didn't* drop from the game (probably the eventual winner) to basically retire their team. I suspect that the guy that dropped on me has done it before, and I'm going to refrain from posting my sleuthing on this because I want to give the guy a chance to respond to my PM to continue the game first.

Last edited by Zarkhor on %b %30, %2004 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Arcon

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that´s what I think...
Add him to the Buddy list.
If he doesn´t answer once he get´s online (or the second or third time at the most), he obviously has no intentions to go on with the game. Writing a pm doesn´t take that long...
In most cases you won´t have to wait for more than a few days then.
Zarkhor

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon: I did Smile

Here's the current Buddy List entry on the last guy (before this) who dropped a game on me:
Draven (26d) (PM)
peikko

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Zarkhor wrote:
Currently, admins will put a block on a player until they finish the game. As a result, people will just create new IDs.

Without goin into details it doesnt work that way.
Zarkhor

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko: that's great to hear, but it'd be cool to get some feedback on the second support ticket I filed for this -- it's relevant to your observation, at least. Could you comment on the rest of the idea?
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Those tickets will be dealt with immediately, as soon as Zarkhor returns to his keyboard.

In practice, admins will normally force a concession well before a month is out if asked nicely. There is not a hard and fast rule about that yet, AFAIK (policy is not my domain, it's up to peikko and the other silverbacks).
Dreddolo

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

a week or two maximum...

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

In all my games I have never come across anyone who has apparantly dropped on purpose. Guess I'm lucky.
Revener

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I want the team that you played against to be retired, that way they will learn the lesson.
I dropped on purpose once with my old DE team, my luck was horrible and the opponent was really bad. To top it the apo failed on a player and he died. I had been cursing and fuming since turn one first half Smile , so at that point I lost it and hit the computer reset and didn't show up for a month. :-/
When I came back I had to retire my team. /bonk self

So it really is pissing me off everytime I read about game droppers that don't get punished.

Offer No quarter Smile

here is the team I had to retire http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=1568
Laviak

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

imho, a week is plenty long enough ..... if the other person can forced to concede, it's not exactly a big loss for either player.

while it could be a bit harsh to retire the team (if this were the penalty) for someone who has genuine problems, conceding a single game shouldn't be a big deal.
Melissa

Post 4 Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a problem like this. My comp crashed and after i find my HDD dead. I couldn't join to fumbbl 2 weeks and my game was conseaded. Sure, maybe they thought i droped that (i have 1-0 vs me and 1 nigled 18spp CW), but i never drop game. After conseade my best 3 players left team. I was just a little sad.
So, i'm for harsh rules, but maybe if coatch don't show week or 2 he have problems. If he was online and don't responded - THAT is another problem.

Rgds, Melissa
Ash

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

What s the point?
It happened to me 3 times... one finished the game the next day, the 2 others did not but one apologize few days after... he was pissed off and droped. So what? just put them on your private black list and never played them again...

oh... maybe you re crying about your lost SPPs? this is another issue and i don t really know if it s a general issue or a personnal one...