23 coaches online • Server time: 04:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
simme

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

If i fail a pick with surehands can i use diving catch?
where talking about the same player
Markus

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

The player may only use this skill if the ball is thrown to him and missed. So no use of diving catch for rerolling a failed pick up. As well you can't use the skill if you fail to catch an accurate pass and the ball bounces. You can't use the skill if the ball was thrown to a different player and bounces to an adjacent square. So this skill is of limited use (apart from the hail mary pass/ diving catch combo).

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed, there are two reasons why you can't do this:

1: You failed with a Surehands reroll, and you can't reroll any dice more than once a turn.
2: What Markus said, Diving Catch is a bit of a chump skill of very limited usefulness that in any case never applies to attempts to pick up the ball.

The key here is to not roll 1,1 on your pick up the ball roll! Razz
Dreddolo

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

if i throw the ball in an empty square near the diving catcher, and the pass is accurate, can i catch the ball using the diving catch skill?

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope. The player has to be the target of the pass in order to use the skill.

LRB p.34 Diving Catch description (my emphasis) wrote:
The player may use this skill if the ball was thrown to him and missed.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

which has been discussed before, and i must say: i think that's a shame - if Diving Catch was able to be used in this way (targeting an accurate pass to make the catcher move a free square), it would make it better.

Not better than every other skill, but a bit better and more attractive and colourful.

When I didn't know of the ruling about diving catch players ignoring the ball unless it was aimed at them, i used to think it would be cool to A) have two players with diving catch positioned to cover the most area near a HMP or B) pass a ball one square ahead of the catcher to score, or get away from tentacles, or out of trouble, etc.

But, as we all know, if I'm an athlete capable of a quick-thinking 2-metre dive to catch the ball, I'm probably also dumb enough to need to be told when the ball is being thrown to me Wink

But as someone once said: it's a GW game. Common sense goes out the window!
albator2001

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Diving catch is very useful with Hail Mary Pass !!!
Dreddolo

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Covertfun wrote:
which has been discussed before, and i must say: i think that's a shame - if Diving Catch was able to be used in this way (targeting an accurate pass to make the catcher move a free square), it would make it better.

Not better than every other skill, but a bit better and more attractive and colourful.

When I didn't know of the ruling about diving catch players ignoring the ball unless it was aimed at them, i used to think it would be cool to A) have two players with diving catch positioned to cover the most area near a HMP or B) pass a ball one square ahead of the catcher to score, or get away from tentacles, or out of trouble, etc.

But, as we all know, if I'm an athlete capable of a quick-thinking 2-metre dive to catch the ball, I'm probably also dumb enough to need to be told when the ball is being thrown to me Wink

But as someone once said: it's a GW game. Common sense goes out the window!

I agree completely Very Happy
SixFootDwarf

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, as it stands now Diving Catch is a worthless skill. Before, when a player could dive for it without himself being the target, it was feasible. Take 2 of 'em, send 'em down-field and heave the ball up with a pretty good shot at a catch attempt. Now you have to target HIM and pray it scatters next to him? no way.

Of all the skills out there, THIS one needs to be fixed the most. They go and fix piling on then ruin diving catch at the same time. WTF?
Ash

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

i m agree but the point is it s too easy to one turn if you can use it to get free move by targeting an empty square... every player MV 9 with diving catch and sprint would be a potential one turn...
With a quick snap you can one turn with MV 8 sprint/diving catch
With the push-push-push technic to gain one more square before moving the catcher you can one turn with MV 7!

So please! yes it s not really useful now without hail mary pass but don t touch it!

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

and MV 9 + VLL + Sprint is not a one-turn?
and MV 9 + +MA + +MA is not a one-turn?
and so on...

there are plenty ways to do a one-turn, we are only asking for a fix of the skill....

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2004 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Ash, but but it would have to scatter INTO the endzone for that to happen, which is a big maybe. And it would involve some skills and a LOT of luck, as opposed to just high movement value like Gutters or Woodie catchers. Even then without Hail Mary it's next to impossible. The defense would have to be REALLY poorly set up and the kickoff would have to scatter within 3 or 4 squares of the LOS.

I just think a guy with that skill would make a play for the ball, regardless if it was thrown to him or not. It should be that way.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2004 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Before, when a player could dive for it without himself being the target, it was feasible.

Huh? AFIAK, it's been this way since 3rd ed. came out. In fact, I remember ruling in a local league that since the player had to be the target of a pass, and that HMP did not target a player, but a square, that you couldn't use Diving Catch with HMP.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Dreddolo wrote:
and MV 9 + VLL + Sprint is not a one-turn?
and MV 9 + +MA + +MA is not a one-turn?
and so on...

there are plenty ways to do a one-turn, we are only asking for a fix of the skill....

My, admitadly poor, understanding of some of the upcomming rule changes is to try and remove the 1 turners. Which everybody must admit, is a good thing. (Stat increase of +1 only for example)
Wombats

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

That will be excellent although with one stat increase Woodies and Skaven can still one turn score - although you can make them pay for it with that low armour.

Jump to: