20 coaches online • Server time: 05:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gandh0r

Post 12 Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi first of all I´d like to greet all Bloodbowl users, especially the guys i´ve already played against Smile.
Me and two friends of mine used to play the boardgame some 7 or eight years ago. We were all unbelievably happy when we found fumbbl!
Now finally we can play the superb game via the internet... you guys sure have done a grat job in programming this thing, many thanks for you´re hard work and enthusiasm you´ve put into this project!!

But now the question: why is it forbidden to play ranked games on one pc?
On the occasional visits I pay to my friends, we´d like to battle each other on the pc. Unfortunately this isn´t allowed... it´s not that big a deal, but I would like to know why?

Yours,
Gandhi Smile
Wallace

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

So that you can't make two accounts then play yourself. You can play games on the one PC as much as you want, you just can't upload them to the server. I'm sure plenty of people do this regularly. You can use your rosters from the site for the game, you could even make up rosters with whatever skills you like and play with those teams, you just can't upload to the site and have the result register online. It would just be too open to abuse, but this would hardly make a difference to the fun of playing your friends on the one pc surely!
Rasfahan

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Wallace wrote:
So that you can't make two accounts then play yourself.

Umh, sorry, but that's just not a convincing reason. You can still make two accounts and play yourself, even more so since playing via LAN and then uploading both results through the same router is allowed.
(which is indistinguishable from, eg., playing on the same comp but starting two instances of the client, and about a dozen other possibilities to circumvent the rules on having two accounts).
As far as I know, it's not forbidden, but impossible to upload results from matches played on the same computer, because the database requires two match records.
gandh0r

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, thanx for the answer. I now see you´re point. Of course I don´t approve of playing oneself.
It´s just too bad we can´t duell each other on one pc: then I wouldn´t have to drive the 90 kilometres to hit the guy that just injured my player. Smile Wink
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

As a follow up question is it allowed to play against a friend on a networked PC and then up load the result if you share an internet connection? E.G if you lived at uni and had two comps but shared the connection?

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

When i started FUMBBLing i asked the admins this question and the answer was that yes, it is allowed. I have several computers on my home network and i do this on a regular basis. So afaik it shouldn´t be a problem.

M
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play on one comp with two clients you get two result-files so it is quite possible to do and nothing that I know of in the rule explicitly forbid it. One or two persons that want to cheat can do it almost as easily if they use different computers so there really is no reason to forbid it either.
annachie

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2004 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

two seperate instals of the client.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2004 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Couldn't get my Windows ME and XP to share my DSL connection last night...

So we opened the client twice and went about it the usual way - Each produced a results file just like you normally get:
Team1vsTeam2.zip and Team2vsTeam1.zip sitting in the results directory
Had to log back in on fumbbl as only one of them got automatically uploaded.

It worked fine, the teams are updated, etc. A bit disconcerting with the echoing sound effects but you get used to it.

Luckily we've recently started making teams in Unranked which is probably why it worked.

If I don't get told off for doing it this will be great for running a tournament at LANs.
With three computers we can have six people playing and make use of FUMBBL's wonderful team management.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2004 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Lan party Smile
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2004 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I think too many unattracive men and absence of girls and alcohol precludes the use of the term "Party" in this case Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2004 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats wrote:
I think too many unattracive men and absence of girls and alcohol precludes the use of the term "Party" in this case Smile

Surely you've heard of the 'Liberal' party?
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2004 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, they've gotten all equal rights and invited some unfortunate folk lacking in Y chromosomes...

...a great tradition going back to Dorothy Dixer - Just as long as they ask the right questions, y'see.

Jump to: