23 coaches online • Server time: 09:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
Bad language! Didn't expect that from you Mojo , you're usually so laid back.

Naughtiness has been edited.

And this is what happens when Real Life piles a brutal workload, sale of my house, near-bankruptcy compounded by car problems and P&S contingencies and a few other upheavals all on my noggin at the same time.

Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Aww... but it's fun to play with Happy Fun Ball[tm]

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:
By the same logic you use BMM, anything violent should get banished. A bosnian refugee won't appreciate the chaos warrior called "Warmongerer" and the person that just got beat up on his way home from the pub won't like the team "Bar Brawlers". Are people really that sensitive? Do you think people starts crying when they see the team "Fucktards"?

I'm not naming my teams like that but I really don't care if others do. As long as there are no players called "3l1t3 d00d" I'm happy.

Back home now. A bit less cranky.

In response to your argument, it's a matter of degrees. No one can specifically dictate exactly what is good taste and what is poor taste, but let's take a look at one of your examples versus one of mine.

Let's compare and contrast getting beat up at a pub and the holocaust.

- A bar brawl is pretty similar to the basic premise of bloodbowl. The holocaust was rather distinctly, not.
- Funny stories can come out of a bar brawl. The holocaust was not really known for inducing laughter. Ask Steven Spielberg if you don't believe me.
- A bar brawl is a rather isolated incident and, while not an every day occurrence, could happen at pretty much any point and pretty much to anyone. Therefore it is not really a direct assault on anyone's sensibilities. The holocaust, on the other hand, was a single incident which defined evil for an entire generation. Specific groups (not just Jews, but a number of minorities) were targeted and they were not "roughed up and kicked to the curb" but herded like animals and slaughtered.
- etc... etc...

I am a registered Libertarian, but only because I don't have authoritiarian power. If I had the chance to clearly delineate good taste and enforce it, I would do so with glee and undoubtedly become some sort of Dictatorial Miss Manners.

As it is, people have to use their own common sense. Or, as we see so often, they can choose not to. That's their choice. I can choose to approve their team or I can choose not to propogate such assinine behavior by condoning and (literally) approving of it. That's my choice.

If the admins who have granted me the responsibility for making my choices in accordance to the norms of the community feel that I am abusing my power, then they can strip me of my approval monkey status. That's their choice. If you think I'm full of shit and don't want me approving teams, then submit a support ticket saying so and try to convince them to do so. That's your choice.

Specifically regarding "Fucktards", Christer has specifically asked that "swear words" do not get approved. This has been stated both in the rules and to approval monkeys when they're sworn in in the secret initiation ceremony (doh! I let the secret out!). As much as people were fond of saying that they owned part of FUMBBL because they donated money to it, that is not true. Christer owns FUMBBL and - most importantly - the hardware it is running on. That means he is ultimately responsible for the content stored on that hardware. As such he gets to make those decisions. Therefore, no "Fucktards" for you.

The "Warmongers" point is a much better one and happens to highlight a twisted little fact of human nature (or maybe just western society... perhaps even just us Yanks) that violence is much less of a taboo than sex. No clue why. I blame it on mass insecurity. If we talked about sex openly, then lots of guys would have to admit that they aren't really 18" of manly vigor or something. I have no clue.

The simple fact is, however, that we are playing a game originally based off of Warhammer. It is a violent game. We all knew and accepted that when we started playing it. In fact, that was most likely the primary selling point. "It's like football except you have Orcs and you get to kill other players!" Sound familiar? I doubt anyone here started playing because, "It's like football, only you have imaginary races with a rich and storied culture and simple, one-dimensional stereotypes."

In my opinion, violence is more acceptable than sex in this context and I think that more people here are willing to accept "BLOODKILLERMACHOS" than "NAZI_FAG_RAPER_GUY'Z".

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Useless thread. Don't really think idiots will take some time to read it.

But I'm with you BMM.

Ps: my favourite skaven quarterback is Ratman... do you think someone who really really loves Bruce Waine will be offended by this? Very Happy

Wink

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %16, %2004 - %11:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Mojo is definitely in the right here.

I'm all for freedom of speech but those who disagree should consider if FUMBBL is the online community for them.

If you want to behave like ten year old who just learnt a new rude word why not go talk smack on a counter strike server instead?

And Tinky this is a game simulating violence based on a wargame so violence in this case is appropriate.
I'd like to see a society where talk of violence is shunned and sex is a normal topic of conversation - it would be healthier.
Getting back to the subject at hand I still fail to see how sex comes into BloodBowl unless you're a little odd and playing one-handed.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

jan_mattys wrote:

But I'm with you BBM.

Ps: my favourite skaven quarterback is Ratman... do you think someone who really really loves Bruce Waine will be offended by this?

I think they'll be more offended that you spelled his name wrong. Blasphemer! Razz

And yes, this is useless (and wildly off topic, sorry!) and no, the guys who need to read this won't (or can't) do so. It still feels mighty good to vent, however.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh heh vent away Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way... today I did have some time while going through the teams for approval and the of the five which I could not translate myself (based upon a few years of Spanish and French in high school about *cough cough* years ago and watching way too much anime), not a single one produced any recognizeable results on babelfish.

Nothing. Zip. Any attempts to translate from any language to English resulted in absolutely nonsensical babble*. I managed to eliminate one based upon linemen named "Carracho A", "Carracho B", etc... but there are currently four more in there just waiting.

So, not to drag all this back onto the original topic or anything but what would you suggest I do, Peikko?

Should I approve them without knowing what they mean? Disapprove them on the basis of my own ignorance? Or leave them in the queue for someone suitably qualified to handle?

I have yet to see the actual point made in this topic or any productive suggestions, just an implied complaint. What is it you want to see done differently (which "...some people could use reading..."), Peikko?

* - by "nonsensical babble" I mean random strings of ASCII characters, not a series of words which don't belong together. The latter could actually be the translations - stream of consciousness team names are acceptable. The former is just bablefish choking over non-standard characters.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, just a few thoughts crossed my mind:

When I made my first team here, it was disallowed..., not understanding why I asked, the nice monkey told me that using the term "nuts" (as in Nibbla's Nuts - Nibbla is a quite famous goblin shaman from the old world - though a bit nutty :p) was offensive! Well, I thought it was kinda picky, but saw no reason to offend anyone and changed it to Nutcases :p
If someone thinks the name u picked was offensive - change it for crying out loud, and dont complain!

On a sidenote, I think anyone who is offended by any name in here is a nutcase who wants to be offended, but even if thats the case I think we should all just roll with it and let them decide, there might be some personal reason why they´re offended - no reason to step on their toes!
In response to the gay-elf part - I know a lot of gay people IRL, I can assure you that NONE of them would be offended by seeing some gay-elf theme :p Though I think I´ll make my new rotters team gay-themed in my local tourney, I´ll be playiong at least one gay and one bisexual person, so I´m guaranteed at least 2 smiles over it Wink
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I certainly agree that this is all based on the warhammer world = lots of war and violence but consider this: Wouldn't you say that the Slaanesh Chaos team "Sodomy inc" would be very fluffy and warhammery? Very Happy

I also like this statement. Wink

Quote:
Wombat:
violence... is appropriate
Delta

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
jan_mattys wrote:

But I'm with you BBM.

I think they'll be more offended that you spelled his name wrong. Blasphemer! Razz

Aren't you more offended that he got your name wrong?
Since when were you BBM? BadBadMojo ?

Still...as you guys have already said...people who name their teams Lino1, 2 etc. are not going to read this.
But in the same vain, surely once they have had a team rejected for that very reason are they really stupid enough to re-submit further teams with the same mistakes? Shocked

Still, all you guys involved in making Fumbbl work deserve a medal if you ask me.
Perhaps we could comission a load of them.....engraved naturally.
Medal 1
Medal 2 etc. Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:

If the admins who have granted me the responsibility for making my choices in accordance to the norms of the community feel that I am abusing my power, then they can strip me of my approval monkey status. That's their choice. If you think I'm full of shit and don't want me approving teams, then submit a support ticket saying so and try to convince them to do so. That's your choice.

Hey, if someone is to complain about BMM, there has to be the option of going the other way. He is a guy that care, and work, and on top of that is fun, how many of those can we afford?
He know what he talk about, he got wit, and is a great friend. Keep him!

ps. sorry if this is overdoing it, but I kinda felt like doing this...
-FreeFragger
Spike1891

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

this topic has gotten big and odd.... and i'm sure the 'no potty mouth' rules on the names aren't there to protect our virgin ears... but to keep the game somewhat creative... NOBODY wants to fight a team of 'Lineman 1, Lineman 2' or 'Beefnuts, Cockboy, Dickwad, Penis Breath, Butt Pirate' etc.... and it's not because we are protecting our children... but because we hate having to fight against people with tardass names! now i'm not saying that i have the most creative names on my teams (i deleted my teams after a long pause of not playing... but go ahead and look at my orc team list)... but at least i try for something that won't make people wince and start a nazi faggot bar brawl (sorry... i had to)

i think that anyone who gets 'offended' because the team's lineman is 'Adolf Hitler' is just a wuss.... but i mean offended like 'oh no! i'm part of one of the minorities that adolf hilter-' bla bla bla nobody cares.... if you get offended as in 'you are totally lame and shouldn't be allowed in our community of people who take this more seriously than you' then cool.... i'm part mexican... and i honestly wouldn't get all pissed and offended and have to write to my senitor when someone has a character name of 'dirty beaner'.... i'd just think the guy is a total moron and i don't want to play against him because of it.... i'd get offended by that name but only on the same level as i'd get offended by 'lineman a, and lineman b'

i mean seriously.... it's just a damn game.... anyone who gets all emotional over a stupid name is just a wuss.... i mean i'm not saying that it's right to say biggotous things... but... come on! we live in a planet filled with HUMANS! this is what humans do! we hate eachother! that's why we get into fights... that's why we start wars... and that's why we have gay bashers/nazis/soccer riots.....

i DO thank the approval team though..... they are keeping the tastelessness out so we can enjoy our game in some level of peace... because remember.... no matter how clever 'Harry Balsagna' is.... it still ruins the game
Renno

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

A chaos dwarf slave driver went around looking at his slaves thinking of names for them.

Ik, Bak, Dak,....

After awhile his limited brain couldn't remember what he was naming his slaves so he thought of a better way. Since he could count to 8 he figured he'd name them by counting.

Slave 1, Slave 2, Slave 4, Slave 5.... Slave 7, ... Slave 8

Feeling good about himself and informing his slaves of their names so that when he called they'd know who should respond he went back to his chambers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloodbowl teams are not just teams that appear here and there. They are many a time roving bands, gangs, clans, tribes, et cetera.

I'm a roleplayer so excuse me if I think in terms of roleplay. Smile
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

DaBoss wrote:
...I'm a roleplayer so excuse me if I think in terms of roleplay. Smile

Excuse is one of those funny words with two meanings...

Excuse (verb) ex•cyüz - to permit or allow.
ex: "Excuse me, may I pass?"

Excuse (noun) ex•cyüs - a reason or alibi.
ex: "That is the flimsiest excuse for lack of creativity which I have ever heard."

Razz

(pretend that the accents are short vowel symbols... I'm too lazy to find the right character)

Jump to: