27 coaches online • Server time: 07:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I figured that my thousandth post on the FUMBBL forums should probably be some sort of narcissistic overview in which I attempt to cover some of the wisdom I've gained and imparted over the years (Wow. It has literally been "years" now - since September of '02).

Ok, I admit it. I got the idea solely from Lucien Swift performing his own verbal masturbation trick over on TBB. So sue me.

There are a few, basic points that I've tried to both practice and demonstrate. I would really, really like to use my homemade soapbox to reiterate:

- It's a game. Have fun. Really.

- It's also a social event. Try enjoying the company of your opponent and you may find that the previous observation is a bit easier. Bloodbowl is a boardgame. Just because we happen to be fortunate enough to be able to play it online does not instantly make it into a slow-paced version of CounterStrike. When playing a (non-solitaire) boardgame, you have a friend whom you are sharing company. Try to remember that and hopefully it will help keep things in perspective.

- Yes, the random number generator is random enough for our purposes. Human perception may say otherwise and some people really do get screwed over time... but that's the nature of randomness. Law of averages says that some people are lucky and some aren't and it all comes out even in the end. None of us have the objective perspective to see the whole thing and, as such, anything that we say is really just anectdotal and is really just arguing about mathematics using opinions. Such arguments are inherently flawed by their very definition. Can't we just drop it?

- The majority of coaches here are, in my estimation, geeky white guys between 20 and 35. I know I am, at least. This is not the only demographic represented on FUMBBL. Please try to show a little respect for the rest of your fellow coaches. Think before you type... you never really know who's going to be reading.

- People who make selfish demands of those who freely offer their time and services should be shot on sight. Line 'em up against the wall. If you want something done your way for your own sake then it stands to reason that you should do it yourself. Even if you think you are right. Ingnorance (in this case, "I am not a programmer, so I can't do it but I want SkiJunkie to change the way the client works for me, me, me!") is no excuse - we all start off ignorant and, sadly, remain that way for the rest of our lives. It's just a matter of degrees of ignorance.

- Be a force for good, not a Force for evil.

- Play the game the way you enjoy playing it. Expect the same from others. If your style and your opponent's don't happen to mix, then grin and bear it for a game and try to remember that in the future. There's no need to resort of name-calling, baiting, whining, etc... This applies whether the problem is foulers, bashers, stalling, one-turners, etc... Get over it, play your game and move on.

- Offering help is the single best thing you can do for the community and therefore, indirectly, for yourself. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Even better, give the guy a fish and show him how to catch his own.

- Please remember that your opinion does not necessarily translate to Indisputable Truth®™. You may think that your all-wardancer/bull centaur team is fair, balanced, fun, fluffy and perfect for everyone but it is not. That is only your opinion. With almost 15,000 coaches here, I think we'd all benefit from a few less vehement defenses of our own opinions and a little more respect for the opinions of others - particularly the admins. I know, I'm just as guilty of this as everyone else, as evidenced by this little missive.

At any rate, off to lunch. Please forgive the moment of vanity, the silly title and the usual rambling.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus looks at his post count and goes out to find beer, hookers and crack.

What a waste.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Give a man a fish, teach him to wield it properly Smile

Oh where have all the halibut wielding loonies gone Sad

Good post Mojo.

I have always had fun playing against you despite being pounded into the ground by your Minotaur, Ogre, Troll Chaos Pact team Smile

My byline may also fit Smile

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
Trif

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

a force for good, not evil....ok, you lost me a little with that one, but on the whole i appreciate reading well thought, intelligent prose such as this. you speak a lot of good sense, and if more coaches (including myself) were to take note, the site would be a better place =)

not that it's a bad place at the moment.......just a figure of speech =)

"Now that's an esophagous!"
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if I like your post.
I'll think about it and tell you what I think in your "2000 posts" forum thread.
Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Trif wrote:
a force for good, not evil....ok, you lost me a little with that one,

Heh, methinks that was just a BMM cheapshot at a certain ex-coach who we all love to hate...if you don't get it, you probably don't know him...
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Evil IS Good!

Z
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.... BMM, that sounds like you've been slowly evolving towards anarchism. Wink I hope you keep up your quality thoughtful postings. Can't wait to hear what you learn by the time you make your 2000th posts.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Freedom Through Economics

Post 8 Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have learned to dislike BMM, it's so annoying... You gotta agree with him all the time, I hate that kind of people!!!
Back in the real world we are a happy group that enjoy the presence of such intelligent people, keep up the work, you know who you are...

FreeFragger
-Have FUN!
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I cant read but I really, really like BMMs avatar. Not entirely sure why.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Amen (to the original post).

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

yup ill second that sinner! Glad to know that there are at least some people with a bit more sense than me here! Wink
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Trif and Azuras: That was indeed a very, very cheap shot. If I were a better person, I'd be quite disgusted with myself. As it is, I'm merely amused.

Evo: Anarchy requires too much faith in the common man. Even if I weren't a cynic, I would still have to cordially disagree as of 2pm today. I'm not above taking a compliment where it is intended, however, so thanks.

Ian: Funny. I was going to say exactly the same thing about you.

Lt.Monkey: That's because I'm just right sexy. It's understandable.

Everyone: Thanks again for everything, particularly putting up with my dissemblings. Not much of a point to them, I guess... Just an attempted moment of perspective.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2005 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Now I reached the 1000th post too (1041 actually) AND I USED THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha

would be good if we could see best posters classement!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2005 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

you can!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 5th biggest poster here. OH MY GOD

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Jump to: