36 coaches online • Server time: 13:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Welll we all know that EVERYONE should read the manual- LRB. But to be honest I agree with many people here - asking a question over chat is NOT a crime. This is a community and should be kept friendly. Just te attitude of what Mully is showing is that which may scare of new coaches and keeps the chat room dead apart from bowlbot.

I personaly take my time to guide newbies on setup and have helped many with information on the downloads and why certain things dont work etc. It does not cost me anything and creates a more positive environment.

Mully this is not Berlin and the old days - people are free to chat. If you dont like something questionned then just dont post to it - by doing so you are being a hypercrite in the first place.

Mully - not my intention to start a childish disagreement with you - many points you bring u in other forums I like. However, I think that we should all contribute more to making the environment more helpful and more pleasant - even if it mean resisting the temptaion to say RTFM.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

MorbidDeath wrote:
Mully this is not Berlin and the old days.

Ah the old days... party pheasants and ironed boots.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

i liked the idea about the chatroom
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember class, there are no stupid questions just stupid people.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Jaguar wrote

Quote:

Or maybe, we could all have our own chatrooms. Yeah thats right! that way none of us has to put up with the other coach's differing perceptions, interpretations, beliefs OR stupid question's....Perfect!

Better Yet! Lets lobby Christer to have the Fumbbl front page contain a warning to all Noobs "Where an intolerant pack of elitest @ssO'ls please dont request help or look to other's for guidence, cause you wont get either, cause in here your on your own, sink or swim rookie. Oh yeah! And welcome to Fumbbl"

Maybe you missed the part in the original post about new coaches being better off NOT taking suggestions on skills and why. Or were you too busy being an a$$hole.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

now this is getting personal...

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
Erm, am i the only perosn not to be bothered aboutthis

Indeed not, I don't mind at all. I will gladly help anyone chose a skill and I will also tell them why if they wanna hear it. I also recall a lot of rather experienced players asking about skills, so I don't really see the problem. Talking about BB, including what skills to take for players, is what the chat is for, isn't it?

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Mully this is not Berlin and the old days - people are free to chat. If you dont like something questionned then just dont post to it - by doing so you are being a hypercrite in the first place.

Mully - not my intention to start a childish disagreement with you - many points you bring u in other forums I like. However, I think that we should all contribute more to making the environment more helpful and more pleasant - even if it mean resisting
the temptaion to say RTFM.

OK everyone that has reading comprehension issues. Please reread the original post for clarity.

I dont give a rats arse if they ask in chat or not. The POINT of the post was that I think coaches are better off NOT asking for the reasons I gave.

WHY? Its their team, they should have a vision of what kind of team they want to make (bashy/agile/whatever). If a chaos coach rolls doubles he should already have in his mind will this team be a team killer or an agile chaos team.

Other coaches who speak up in chat dont know what this vision is and will offer suggestions THEY would take if it were their team. The problem is it is not THEIR team.

It's like painting bloodbowl figures and asking everyone which colors to use. Everyone can have good suggestions but ultimately it's the painter's vision of what he wants his team to look like that counts.

If you disagree with this ....great. It's a forum and all your thoughts are welcome. But dont try to rutn it into a "Mully wants all NOOBS censored" thread when it clearly wasn't.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

now this is getting personal...

hehe in the vain attempt to get this thread locked and sealed

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the slightly tense wording of some replies comes from the attitude of your first post , it seems you are saying "dont ask me ,read the book stupid "you then go on to say why you favor this method but by then many people are already angry .

Remember as well you know what you are doing at a great level of competence and if i was to say "Pilling On" , you would be able to quote me the rules for this skill and also understand how the skill can be used tactically what type of player it would benefit and in what type of team this may be useful , the amount of knowledge you have accumulated about the topic is large and a lot of it subconciously stored . New Players dont have this advantage .They would with research into the LRB if they could find it Smile be able to quote me what the rules text is .

Also ,Learning from your mistakes is not the best way to learn , this has been proven scientifically in many studies , it is a contributing factor to development but is greatly aided by help and guidance from people with experience of the topic , this is why schools have teachers , text books and chemicals in science lessons rather than just chemicals and text books .

If Somebody wants to ask advise let them , your post will stop some people from using this option , what would be my advise to new people is this "Ask your questions , get there replys and take this information and consider it , the people who give you advise may not be right , if someone tells you that taking guard for your skeleton is a good idea on a double look at the guard skill , see what it does and think about how this will benefit you.Dont Follow blindly but dont be afraid to ask ? "

If you asked me advised (not a good idea I couldnt beat a halfling team with a 300tr Chaos Dwarf team and i dont think my ranks been as high as 130 ) I wouldn't feel you were obliged to take it .

Oh and if you do ask advise put a little Thanks once you get it .Manners dont cost nought .
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

What he said. I've been inspired by this thread to re-read the skills/traits section of the manual, and I'm coming away with more questions than answers -- like whether or not something like Big Hands is as good in practice as it is in theory (I have this idea for a Chaos Dwarf team that it would be a great thing to give to one of two Bull Centaurs -- one blitzes, the other snatches) ... but have NO clue whether or not this is actually a good practical idea. I'd rather ask for a pointer than waste an awesome trait!

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Nazerdemus - very well thought out counter arguement. Also, good tips on how a poorly worded opening may blind the reader to the real message. Grats.

Sheperd - Big Hands is awesome - however since it is a trait, only Chaos and Skaven can even use it.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats exactly the point Mully - you have posted your original thoughts basically stating that a new coach should not ask for help or guidlines - because of the reasons stated blah,blah,blah. However, a new coach can know all the rules, state what team and tr he has and ask what skill he should choose - because he is UNCERTAIN and would like a varied respone - just like many experienced coaches.

So the way I read your initial post, it implies to me that you are saying NOT to ask EVER. There is nothing wrong with mine or other peoples "reading comprehension" - it is simply the way the author (you) has posted
the original statement - which gives off an air of negativity. So labeling us as stupid (=reading comprehension issues)just because you cannot post your thoughts in a clear and concise maner is not our faults Smile

Oh and one more thing - you brought up this forum topic- so why would you want to get it "locked and sealed" by being personal?.........

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

MorbidDeath wrote:
Mully this is not Berlin and the old days.

Yeah and comparing the original post to Nazi Germany and Berlin type censorship? WTF ever. If you are going to argue at least do it in an intelligent fashion like Nazerdemus and stop pulling quotes like that from out of your you know what. That's the quote from you which made me wonder about either a) your reading comprehension skills or b) need to sensationalize.

And I suggested the thread be locked because people like you would rather bash the author than provide dialogue on the merits on asking/not asking for skill choices in chat.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2004 - 22:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I still think we are heading towards each having our own chat room.

By joining the two words 'humbug' and 'bah' we could summate this entire thread.

To have a semblance of 'community' it is nice if people are allowed to 'communicate' occasionally.

That all said it does amaze me when 'ImABigScaryNoob' asks for advice and decides to take a skill based on 2 random responses, but most people learn by the asking, the answers and the debates that follow, I know I did and now offer advice and opinions in the hope not of being slavishly followed and having all my advice adhered to, but in the hope of sparking thought learning for the asker.

And i shall keep doing so.

So Ner!
 Jump to: