22 coaches online • Server time: 09:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Have you heard of a 10 game rule?
Yes, exactly as you describe below
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
Yes, but a little different (I'll describe below)
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Nope, you're smoking crack--this rule doesn't exist
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
I've heard this before, but it's a vicious rumor spread to . . . well I'm not quite sure why but it's just plain mean and nasty
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 50

banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2004 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently had a game turned down, which never really bothers me but the reason I got was an "unwritten" 10 game rule.

The rules page states:

Quote:
A team may not play twice in a row against the same opposing team. Note that this means that both teams must play at least one game before the teams can meet again.

But this person talked about a differet rule, and there was mention (by another person) that this was in the "user's guide." Essentially the rule is that you should try to play 10 games in Ranked before playing a coach in Ranked again. I looked a bit for this but couldn't find it. Any admins (or others) care to confirm this?
Goallie11

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2004 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

He just didnt want to play ya
MattDFan

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2004 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked division, 4th paragraph, fairly simple.
Chiungalla

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2004 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

There is a rule that means that you may have only every 10th game vs. the same coach.

Under guys who aren't very firm in english, there is often discussion about the meaning of this rule.

e.g. it means if you played 10 or less times, you could only play once against the same coach and team.

If you played >10 < 20 times you can play two times vs. the same coach and team.

But some are see other meanings in this rule as descriped above....
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2004 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=ranked

Quote:
Due to the ranking structure, coaches are expected to play a variety of different coaches. Do not use this division to play amongst a close group of friends. The accepted benchmark for this division is 1 in 10 games played vs the same coach/team. If you want to play games among a close group of friends, create teams in the U division.

The question becomes..is it coach OR team..or coach AND team..

So could you play the following sequence with one of your teams?

Coach1/team 1
Coach1/team 2
Coach1/team 3
Coach1/team 4
Coach1/team 5
Coach2/team 1
Coach2/team 2
Coach2/team 3
Coach2/team 4
Coach2/team 5
Coach3/team 1
Coach1/team 1
Coach1/team 2
Coach1/team 3
Coach1/team 4
Coach1/team 5
Coach2/team 1
Coach2/team 2
Coach2/team 3
Coach2/team 4
Coach2/team 5

I think you could..but that would probably be pushing it.

As it is, I don't really pay attention to it much..just make sure I don't play the same team 2 times in a row.

I would hope the admins would have some discression in this, as sometimes, playing the same team a few times close together can be fun and create rilvaries..but as long as it doesn't always happen, I think it would be ok...I don't know though..I'm not an admin.
peikko

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2004 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

GorTeX wrote:
The question becomes..is it coach OR team..or coach AND team..

Coach vs coach.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand the rule and why it is in place...You don't want people playing the same coaches over and over and over and thus gain an advantage in some way.

Yet it seems to take alot of the wind out of rivalries between coaches..

but it seems over the top...by this rule, you can't even do this.

Your team 1 vs Coach 1 Team 1
then play
Your team 2 vs Coach 1 Team 2.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

as far as i understand the thing, there are two things to take into consideration:

- one team cannot meet another team twice in a row
- you can play up to about 10% of your Ranked FUMBBL games against the same coach, otherwise that would be seen as multying or just abusing the fact you play against friends to artificially beef up your R teams.

i don't think it needs that much explanation, nor comments or whatever. the first rule is enforced on the website, and the second one is supposed to be checked by the admins if they have any doubt.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll comment with my background as former admin here - The 10 games between playing a coach is not an absolute but a rule of average. That is _try_ to not play a coach that often. The idea is that in ranked games should be spread out among all of fumbbl and not just a close set of friends that knows each other; knows each others tactics and failures. With a close set of coaches playing each other it is likely that some of that group is more skilled then others which gives an unbalanced ranking. Ranked should be about ranking your skill in comparison to all of fumbbl, not just a small group of coaches.

Outside of ranked division things are different. No admin will care if you play the same coach 30 times in a row in unrankend.

Does that make sense? Smile

-Mnemon
heinz

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted "a little different" as I find Mnemon's explenation to be more accurate.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My account was locked cause I played my friends in (R). I then repented of my ways and the offending team was moved to (U) and all was happy. Take it from me, don't play your friends to frequently in (R), just make a (U) team and make a little tourny for all your pals. Smile
Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Ranked should be about ranking your skill in comparison to all of fumbbl, not just a small group of coaches.

/me resists the tempation to go off topic regarding cherry picking and such in ranked ........

Another day another thread perhaps .....

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Note the word "should". Too bad people just seem to see and have fun in different way then what I think is enjoyable. Just another reason why I like unranked/divx more than ranked Smile.

Off-topic is good, but that particular off-topic thing has been beaten to death. Several times. And then some.

-Mnemon
 Jump to: