44 coaches online • Server time: 16:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

shepherd,

When we had our game, you came across as someone who will become a formidable coach with just a little experience. I think the best advice I can give is - get a game in as much as you can. All of these strategies and priorities swimming in your head will find their place with enough game time exposure.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

2 dice blocks with the block skill is the safest thing you could ever do (except 3d of course...). If you have a reroll you can pretty much always start your turn with these. There is a huge difference in safety between blocking with and without the block skill, remember that.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
If I can figure out how to get the replay to work for me, I'll be happy to check it out when I get home from work. (To this date, I have never been able to spectate/replay games. Something in my comp's workings--maybe has to do with being unable to start games from the website. I have to double-click on my harddrive to start the game, then type in info for teams, etc. Going this way, how do I view a replay/spectator game?)

It's explained here
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, Sheperd. If you want a possibly hard lesson in paying attention to the ball insttead of blocking, I've got a pretty new Dwarf team. I've played a lot of "old school" (3rd edition) on the real board, but I'm new here. Message me if you're interested. I don't mind chatting through the whole game. Check out my team, rating is low right now.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this guy for real? I mean he's so grateful... Maybe i'm just getting used to the usual "I'm smart, the rest of you are 74m3 n00bs"-threads... Thanks, shepherd, you really make me believe in humanity once again.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Like you, I'm realtively new to this (Used to play 2nd edition many moons ago) and after watching your game, you make the same sort of mistakes I do. *But* lets face it, with 5 players out you did well to avoid a 3-1 loss.

The only thing I probably would have done differently was put more pressure on the wight, you know he had nearly 3 of his turns where he could have scored and didn't? There was no reason for him scoring, he could just pummel you a little bit more.

If you want to see how to really be outplayed have a look at my last games vs a lizard team http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=566526

I hadn't played lizards before, so didn't have an idea what I was facing - a team that could out bash my humans and out run them.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just one thing:

890A

Surround the opponents, and you win. Be surrounded, and you lose. In all cases remember to give assist in diagonal (positions 1-4-8-A in the scheme) and put "guards" in 2-3-9-0 positions to prevent assists while giving your assists.

It can be a stupid advice, but this is how I always think about BB. And it seems to work.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, jan_mattys, I wonder if my working on my BB game will help me learn/improve my Go game as well... that's a great philosophy that applies well to both gamesystems.

And thanks, MrMojo ... I am grateful! I think I've been jaded by the L33T attitude you get from most online games, and finding a community as supportive as this one has been a real pleasure.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

apart from what's allready been mentioned, did you look at the 2 teams prior to entering that fight?

Your playing against a bashy team with all its bashy positionals attending the fight, block on both mummies, 2 wights with block, you not having a single skill from what I could see from the brief looksee. Allready there you were in troubles.

If you can't outbash him, then use your players to try and break through on one of the sides more or less taking one of his mummies out of the fight due to low movement. Focus your blocks around the ball and the path its gonna take, and on his weakest players. The faster you can take his ghouls out of commision, the faster he'll have to replace them with slower, weaker players, Same goes for his wights. Keep in mind that you can do 2 blocks pr turn with str 4 (1 CW and 1 beastman), the rest will have to come from assists.

So, aside from tactical errors, also look at your team and the team your gonna be playing prior to even accepting the match in the first place as you were outgunned before you even set up.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm

backsliding.

About three people have suggested I make an Orc team. I think I'll get on that. And by God, I'll beat that win percentage down to under 20% if I have to die trying.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd - don't worry. You only played very few games at all yet. It just takes time. However with some of us things just never improve [check my coach statistics sometime Razz] - if you end up being one of them find other ways to make your games amusing [which doesn't mean at all to go the foul, kill, smash way] - that is the one objective the games should have - being fun. At least laugh if you can't win Smile.

-Mnemon
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

My first hundred games or so here, I might have been lucky to win 25 of them. However, the lessons learned during those first hundred games have stood me well, as I have since pulled my overall record back up to .500 and have been winning at least 75% of late. Now, you might be a much faster learner, and this'll only take you 20 games to do. But the point is, play games! They're the best education tool available! Even if you can't envision strategy from words typed by others, you'll eventually start to see patterns develop in play...

"Gee, if I put this guy here, I can get this result, but if I put him there, last game I got pounded, so let's not put him there."

LOL, I recall my first dozen games or so here, could not for the life of me figure out assists for 2d blocks. Eventually, I figured out that you can tell how many die are rolled by looking at the bar when you select a block. Took me a couple more games to determine the difference between 2red and 2blue. lol Also become much more sophisticated with my skill selections--my very first skill ever given to a player was a human ogre who rolled doubles, and I gave him dodge "to avoid getting knocked down so much".

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Im new here too shepard and sometimes feel like im just here for people to kick on me , my norse team went 8 games in a row defeated before i retired them with disgust , (during this period i think I lost at least 10 games straight all told ) but my current team is 5/0/4 which aint brilliant but is obviously getting better ( now Ill get 15 straight losses ).

So chin up, it'll get better , maybe ?
Glomp

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing Thanks to inquisitorpustus for giving me some good pointers on setting up a line, and being patient as I died like Hemingway. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also very new to this game but must say, I've found the community very helpfull...especially when it comes to arranging games.
My totally sucky and skill-less Wood Elves had absolutely no problem finding games.
There were always a plethora of very good if usually somewhat bashy teams lining up to challenge them.
I only wish my Wood Elves had a better strength rating and more than nine elves standing so as to give these teams a better game. Also, the elves kept dying when pummelled..this was a source of constant embarrassment to me.
My oponents very generously told me not to feel guilty about losing so badly and were often very keen to arrange rematches...which was just peachy.
 Jump to: