21 coaches online • Server time: 05:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

FUMBBL Academy is a group created in order to help people brush up on their play. It is a strictly non-competitive group... there is no scoring system or schedule or playoffs or anything. It has simply been established to give coaches a place to look for a game against either another newbie or one of the more experienced coaches who is willing to spend some time with a game and giving out some pointers along the way.

I strongly encourage new members to join in the fun and play some of these experienced coaches. It's the best way to improve your game.

There is obviously a group page and you can join if you want to show your support and receive PMs of any upcoming events or what not... Joining the group is optional, however. Anyone who wants to can just jump into the channel (#fumbbl_academy) and find answers to their questions or opponents to play.

Membership in the group is restricted to Unranked teams only. This is just because I think that U happens to fit the theme of the league best and is the ideal place to brush up on your play with no real consequences. You can jump in and try to find a game for your R or L (or whatever division) team if you want. I, personally, am trying to keep a relatively new team in each division just for sake of playing against new folks.

If you're new or simply wish to see if you can improve your game with a few pointers, please feel free to stop by the channel and chat a bit. If you consider yourself a more experienced coach and would like to help out other, newer coaches in the league, then drop by to offer your services. Bring your patience, willingness to help and enough time to stop and chat during your game to dispense what wisdom you can. Spectators who want to pass advice through IRC would be appreciated as well.

{ other, less important stuff }

Ok, I've had a group set up for some time in preparation for having some free time to get some more games in.

That still isn't happening, sadly, so pretty much all I've been playing is my one night a week MNF... and that's only because I specifically joined a tourney that would make an obligation for me to get a few games in each week.

Anyway, all that aside, it's time for FUMBBL Academy, to start its first semester. I may not be around much but Candlejack and gorritakid have kindly stepped up to the plate and have been hanging out in the channel to provide assistance. A number of other experienced coaches have offered assistance in the past. Should anyone want to sign on as staff to help coordinate things, I'll consider adding more.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have time to help with the staffing, but I'll gladly provide Academy games for those that need them. (I've had a team set up for doing that for a couple of weeks anyway, though they've only managed one game).

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2004 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Great ide. Created a team to kick some newbie ass. Err, I mean, gently help them out.
Shivan

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2004 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

a great initiative! I cant wait to have my play brushed up, I havnt won a single match yet...
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2004 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in! And drooling gently as I rock back and forth over my keyboard, pawing at the monitor in a vain attempt to reposition the players when my opponent isn't looking.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Your keyboard must be quite wet and your monitor full of fingerprints... That's hazardous.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2004 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

and rather unhygenic
SixFootDwarf

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2004 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'll give a hand giving advice here and there too. If anyone needs a tip or help, lemme know....
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2004 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to join, as I played my first bloodbowl match just a few days ago. I've done quite some matches since and I'd like to know how much I've progressed. In unranked, I've only got a halfling team to play with. Should I start a more conservative team to play with? Obviously I've lost all matches with that halfling team. While laughing like a maniac.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the game, it was a good learning experience. Here's the replay, if anybody would like to see it. Any comments on the game are welcome.

Quote:
Bunnypuncher had this to say:
he's elfs so he'll go for the quick strike.. so make sure you have back field support and try to get him to have to go down the middle
and you should try to make it so that he has to make a block to get around your wings (or a dodge)
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Erm... one thing of note. The replay in the link above won't work because we had to restart at the end of the half and then I had to concede so I could catch my bus home.

However you should write a match report to remind yourself of what you noticed, learned, or otherwise wish to remember from the game. Consider it your homework. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Never trust dem sneaky elfs!

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I really need to make some 'umies or something for the academy...

{ edit: there ya go }

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I was spectating that game and it was a great learning experience -- basically BunnyPuncher and I would hang out in IRC and chat about the match as it progressed while BMM and torsoboy would talk in-game and a bit in IRC too.

So you don't even have to play to get value out of these matches. It was well worth it just to watch and talk.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Have I mentioned lately that #fumbbl_academy is an excellent place to be brought up to speed when joining FUMBBL? We have some great coaches in there (me, too!), just waiting to dispense words of wisdom to help you polish up on your game before diving into ranked/faction/tourney play.

Don't be shy. If you want to pick up on a few tips, just pop in and see what the old hands have to say.

Jump to: