24 coaches online • Server time: 08:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I could see no topic with tactics and strategy for vampires so I figured to make one myself and write my experiences so far.

A day or so after the BBRC launched their rules update I figured to create a Vampire team http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=131815 and see for myself if they are really that bad.

Well; yes they are.

Started with 2 Vamps, 4 RR, an apoth and 9 thralls plus 9 FF.
High FF, and as much RR as I could without going less than 2 Vampires.
After all; Vamps were my reason for even starting the team.

Played 5 games ever since and this is how they developed and what I think of it.

Starting Vamp1 got block first, then dodge. Reasoning behind this was that a blodger with ST4 and AG4 was superb enough anyway and early on in the game double so. And Vamps need all the help they can get. (they suck major @$$) This blodger works well enough indeed as my major ball-carrier btw; hard to get down with ST4 and blodge and agile enough to get him out of a tricky spot. The second Vamp got block too as did the third before no.2 got his second skill.

By now it was painfully clear I needed a tackler so this is what I gave Vamp2 as the second skill while buying Vamp4.

Furthermore I have 2 thralls with block (one aged;-MA), another one with +MA and a fourth with a double. Gave him accurate with the idea to give him sure hands later on and have somewhat of a passing ability. I am not convinced it was the right choice though...

What I think of them so far in broader terms;

-OFAB is the worst negatrait by far. If you fail it you not only lose the action; you HAVE to move next to a thrall and roll for injury for him or lose the vamp. This effectively means that you have to have a thrall nearby in case you roll that 1. If Vamps work they work really well of course as you'd expect from an ST4/AG4 player.
-Thralls are really, really bad. MA6 is average, AV7 is poor and combined with AG3, no skills and only G access I think these are the weakest link for Vamps. Elves run rings around them and any bashy team eats them for breakfast.
If they'd ever improve anything for the Vamp-team my vote would go to make thralls AV8 at 50K, no further changes. Would not alter the nature of the team while now the Thralls are so painfully bad it makes me cringe.

My idea is to give all vamps pro as the second or third skill to negate 50% of the OFAB rolls (hopefully) but all that remains hidden in the future. Smile

While I am having fun with Vamps so far I think it is having fun as if you play a goblin team a bit.
Sure; few laughs but developing them in a good team might be very, very unlikely.
If not impossible.

I sincerely hope that other Vampire coaches add their experiences here about what works for them and what does not.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

And never forget the User Guide - the entry on Vampire Strategy could use some additional work. Remember - anybody can step in and edit/add things in there, at any time - please do so.

-Mnemon
vanGorn

Post 6 Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

My 1st vampire team the Crimson Juicers are my worst team so far. But I like to play with them. I hope time will come when Surtur will start Destiny Bowl II, so they can play on.
I made the mistake to take too much vampires and too few rerolls.
So I went a different way with my 2nd vampire team the Flying Leeches, who managed to win the vampire round in breed bowl.

Jinxed

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

By now (TR160) the comparison with Chaos does not seem too far off.

I mean with this the apalling lack of skills you begin with.This hampers your development too.

Where Chaos can have mutations with Vampires you can have agility based skills and you start with more AG of ocurse.

While Chaos Warriors can be compared with Vamps to a certain degree (CW being slower and tougher, loses in Agi but have no negatrait) the thralls are a sad excuse for a player while beastmen are (can be) very competent. ST-access, more AV and horns make them far better than the 50%/20k you pay extra for them.

Hmm, rereading I seem to ramble a bit but never mind. Smile

My point is; I face the same dilemma's with Vampires as I do with Chaos. Do I need a second tackler or is kick more important? Is it time for a sure hands to ward of those damn leapers with strip ball?
 Jump to: