12 coaches online • Server time: 04:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about the new rule set finally implemented on Fumbbl. Some are mostly excited about the new client, some happy or sad about the new potential for their favourite race. Some contemplating playing new races, some retiring teams en masse, some making sure they get the benefit of any grandfathering they can (Yes, you're a twit if you are starting a Norse team now, just so it can have an Ogre AND a Yeti post-transition)

But uppermost in most people's mind is: What is Macavity's take on the races as they are about to be? Well, I finally read the rulebook, and having played almost none, my brilliant mind is prepared to tell you about them, anyway!

Amazons:
Yup, there they are. Still won't coach them. Find them dull.

Chaos:
Still there, with mutation access on a regular roll expect to see some attempts at pure Dwarf-Mangling claw teams and a few creative champion teams. It would intrigue me if Mutations were not also available on much cooler teams, but they are, so onward!

Chaos Dwarves:
I'm still intrigued by these guys. My previous belief was that one should have both Bulls right away, and fill your dwarves later, as few skills were needed to make a dwarf effective in their role. Now they can Mutate (on doubles)! I'm really tempted to turn some into freaks, ignoring good strategy! That, or you can get MB on them all and hope for claws on a double, then kill orcs and dwarves and big guys for amusements sake.

Dark Elves:
What was once one of the most boring teams in my eyes is suddenly cool. I doubt I'll coach one soon, as I think the key to development will be making sure your assassins get SPP and become Blodge, Sidestep nightmares. Since no SPP are awarded for stabs, this will take a patient coach, and with no Strength access apart from doubles, you can't turn these guys into something else easily. I'm sure the top coaches will enjoy the challenge and get success, not sure if I'm ready for it!

Dwarves:
My RL team. Love 'em! Love having a Deathroller on the roster that can skill. Rookies will be all over this team, and get nowhere fast. Use of regular roster secret weapons will be an art. Having them kicked off after the drive means they need to be catered to to be worth the effort, and dwarves are expensive to have a player who won't stick around all game. That said, they will kill a lot of opponents, and there is no real need to care about starting a new roster for established dwarf coaches.

Elves:
Yeah...... I don't get it. I can't see many people going for blitzers on this roster, but I'm not of the mindset to ever coach them, so what do I know?

Goblins:
The way they were meant to be!! Sign me up for 2! Regular roster Secret Weapons! Managing the fielding of and SPP acquiring for these guys (Bombs and chainsaw CAS give none) will be key. Getting them kicked out in small numbers at a time will be important! The lucky coach with a couple of MVP on a Looney could take this team places! If you are playing up TV, get your Bribes, and Nobbla (more chainsaws for more fun, field one at a time) Fun, challenging, and awesome (also, stunty... more on that below)!

Halflings:
My favourite little twits haven't changed much. There are 3 advantages they have over silly big people: RR, Numbers, and Stunty. RR are harder to steal, but the discount on the chef will mean you can get him easy and watch those big lugs fail the simplest tasks! You are still Stunty! Why stand up to the enemy, on the line, when 4 or 5 of you can waltz through and gang up on the ball carrier? Many coaches have trouble adjusting their thinking to number of dodges for you instead of 1 hard dodge. NUMBERS!!! Two new skills will help us make our larger roster translate into more players on the pitch: Fend, which means all those pointless end of turn 2D blocks they do on us, we can at least be free to roam after, and Sneaky Git. Yes, Sneaky Git. Killing opponents with fouls is fun, but the point of fouling with stunties is to gain numbers. When a Halfling team of 15 players plays an orc team of 12, making sure you don't get sent off for useless fouls is gold. Get a couple. Foul every turn, it will pay off most times!

High Elves:
Some weird part of my brain tell me this team could be great. Then I remember how boring they are and go back to chainsaws.

Humans:
Same old great team! Play them to prove something! Remember to take the bashing stars for inducements, no point in Griff hogging your SPP!

Khemri:
Um... your Mummies decay now. Good luck with that! Grats on the increased MV for Throw-ras, I suppose.......

Lizardmen:
Look, stunties so expensive you can't out-number your opponent! Love to play against these guys, but they are pretty much the anti-Macavity of BB teams.

Necromantic:
Werewolves with Regen???? Popularity of these guys will Sky-Rocket! I won't coach them, partly because of that, and partly because I never got the hang of them, but I will enjoy playing against the many in-experienced coaches who let those wolves hog all the SPP!

Norse:
Wow. Just..... Wow. These guys lived with 'Zons in my boring pile for a long time. Now the cheap linos, low AV and Frenzied as all get out team mean that these boys can't be played as hard-to-knock-down humans. If you aren't hitting your opponent all the time, you're wasting the team! Most CAS in game will involve these guys on at least one side! I may even be coaching them!

Nurgle:
Another borign team given a personality! Watch Nurgle slowly suck away all other Chaos worshippers. These guys have mutation access and personality to go with it. May become the ultimate grinding winners. That's potentially a lot of disturbing presence on a successful team to have to ball handle around and too much strength to NOT go around! Getting your team to a place where the majority are not rotters will be the trick. Might give 'em a shot, but it would be a build from the bottom rotter and RR heavy team to do it the Macavity way.

Ogres:
Yeah.... Sorry, guys. This team is guaranteed to have the most combined retired and built just to Grandfather. I love Snotlings in concept, but they are useless. Only reason to have an Ogre team now is to go on a crazed quest to get a snotling on the top ten list somewhere. My sympathies to all current Ogre coaches.

Orcs:
Yup. Still here. I sometimes wonder if I'd play mine if they hadn't gotten so many AG+ rolls early. I guess we'll never know..... One of the handful I've not retired.

Skaven:
Don't see the play-style changing much. Started a lino-only grow from the bottom build in FFB, not sure if I will re-build when wiped yet.....

Undead:
Ok, maybe I've read 2 different rulebooks, but I'm pretty sure, despite the one I'm looking at now, Zombies went up in cost. Good. It's time skeletons have their day. I firmly believe that the nerfing of DP will mean some people learn to play this team to it's potential, instead of giving the grunts DP, and then claiming they're no good at all the things you didn't give them skill for. But that might just be wishful thinking.

Vampires:
I'm really interested to see how these guys do with the new rules. Might even try them myself. New skill options mean the vamps can build in dozens of ways!

WoodElves:
The bane of my existence.

And the Crazies,

Chaos Pact:
Better coaches than I will have huge success with these boys. Coaches like I will field 3 Big Guys, weirdly mutated Marauders, and have a blast losing! Another reason not to play Chaos!

Slaan:
Crazed, leaping frogs. Long-legged leaping lizard-like legendary limber lunatics. I doubt I'll coach them. I suspect I'll play them 17 times with little problem and much amusement, and then get royally spanked by someone who has figured them out.

Underworld:
Mutant stunties! MUTANT STUNTIES!!! Yes, some people will tell you that there are rats on the team. They are mostly wrong. Sure grab one for a lark, if you have a lot of cash, but you can start out with a Mutant Troll, 12 Mutant Goblins ,an Apothecary and 5 RR!!!! (smart coaches may forgo one RR for one of those rats that picks the ball up, but that's dull). Big, extra hands goblins! Goblins with Horns and Claws! Goblins with Long Legs and Big hands! Trolls with Long Legs! Ok, not much point to the last, but this is a team chock full of potential fun!

Well, there you have it, disagree if you like, post about if you want, but remember you DID ask for my take on the races, not Purplechest's!

P.S. I've always liked the potential greatness of starting a team with few positionals and many re-rolls, but the abililty to hire stars as inducements may make this surprisingly viable right from the get-go!

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

Lizardmen:
Look, stunties so expensive you can't out-number your opponent! Love to play against these guys, but they are pretty much the anti-Macavity of BB teams.

Lizardmen still rule. Although they have been nurfed quite badly because of some of the rule changes IMO. I will still play them as much as I can because I love them.

Lets hope I can get another team like this when everything is live. http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=631908

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, they're not bad, not even boring with the disparity of the player types, just really not my style.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I love how you know basically nothing about any of the races or how the changes effect them but you still have an opinion and like expressing it.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I love that about me, too!

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

did you realize that underworld trolls with longlegs make a leap on 5+. and you call that useless. mr. hicks will be unstoppable.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

Dark Elves:
What was once one of the most boring teams in my eyes is suddenly cool. I doubt I'll coach one soon, as I think the key to development will be making sure your assassins get SPP and become Blodge, Sidestep nightmares. Since no SPP are awarded for stabs, this will take a patient coach, and with no Strength access apart from doubles, you can't turn these guys into something else easily. I'm sure the top coaches will enjoy the challenge and get success, not sure if I'm ready for it!

Assassins are a big let down. They sound cool... but stab really is pretty "meh". The biggest crap factor about the assassin is really the fact that it only skips one step, the block action and hence it also skips the benefits of blocking. Knocking people out of the way or onto their ass (which btw also lets you roll against their AV)
Fail the av roll and get a face full of fist next turn.

Macavity wrote:

Elves:
Yeah...... I don't get it. I can't see many people going for blitzers on this roster, but I'm not of the mindset to ever coach them, so what do I know?

I know who would take blitzers on their Pro Elf teams... people who want a good pro elf team. They are the most important players on the team by far.

Macavity wrote:

Khemri:
Um... your Mummies decay now. Good luck with that! Grats on the increased MV for Throw-ras, I suppose.......

If you look carefully you will notice that the ex-mummy, now tomb guardians also gained +1 to MA... that sure makes up for the loss of G access and gaining decay. Image

edit: sarcasm indicator added

Last edited by Mr_Foulscumm on %b %31, %2010 - %20:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Assassins are a big let down. They sound cool... but stab really is pretty "meh". The biggest crap factor about the assassin is really the fact that it only skips one step, the block action and hence it also skips the benefits of blocking. Knocking people out of the way or onto their ass (which btw also lets you roll against their AV)
Fail the av roll and get a face full of fist next turn.

I think you dislike them for the reason I like them! Going all Norman Bates with them is useless, only point in stab is if you want him marking the guy regardless, and can't get a 2d block. I know shadow isn't great at 6MV, but it's what these guys are about! Not cutting through the ranks, picking out the one, elite fellow, and sticking with until you get 'em! I do think that +MV or ST will be key to seeing them really take off, though.

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

I know who would take blitzers on their Pro Elf teams... people who want a good pro elf team. They are the most important players on the team by far.

I'll need to take your word for it. A Blitzer without ST access is a +MV, one skill lino. And on a team with other high movement options, he's expensive! (unless that rulebook had the skill access wrong)

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

If you look carefully you will notice that the ex-mummy, now tomb guardians also gained +1 to MA... that sure makes up for the loss of G access and gaining decay.

I'm assuming that this is sarcasm, even with the notable lack of sarcasm icon Smile I saw that movement point alright.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

I'll need to take your word for it. A Blitzer without ST access is a +MV, one skill lino. And on a team with other high movement options, he's expensive! (unless that rulebook had the skill access wrong)

I like it when people take my word for it. I'll take this as a sign that you like listening to me drone on.

So here is some more: Elf blitzers have +1 MA, yes, but also +1 AV, block AND Side Step. They are very easy to turn into annoying players which is just what the poorest of elves need. Scoring is easy with the pelves. Defending not so much easy as it is scary.

It takes 1 skill to make a blitzer somewhat safe to hug the opponents ball carrier without being to concerned.

You will never have enough skilled linemen to want to risk on fool hardy missions like that. Linemen being slow and squishy tend to die at an alarming rate. If I remember correctly, the average life expectancy being around 6 games for a pro elf lino. Linemen that gain enough skills are way to rare to throw away. That's what rookies are for.

And sending catchers into the back field is just asking for a good booting. Also for a catcher to be as good a harasser as a blitzer takes longer and is more expensive. But you really do need to get in range of the ball as often as possible. Hence, blitzers rock.

Macavity wrote:

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

If you look carefully you will notice that the ex-mummy, now tomb guardians also gained +1 to MA... that sure makes up for the loss of G access and gaining decay.

I'm assuming that this is sarcasm, even with the notable lack of sarcasm icon Smile I saw that movement point alright.

Doh! I knew I forgot to add something! Embarassed

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually think you make a good point, not that I'll ever play Elves anyway.....

On the otherhand, I made a FFB DE team I wasn't planning on, just to mock your take on assassins! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2010 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I actually think you make a good point, not that I'll ever play Elves anyway.....

On the otherhand, I made a FFB DE team I wasn't planning on, just to mock your take on assassins! Very Happy

LOL! I wish you all the best with that super team of awesome. It's already of to a great start I see, with a name like that how can it possibly go wrong? Very Happy Image

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2011 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I expect great things from them and my goblins (mutant and non)

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2011 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Two cents on the teams I've toyed with...
Humans...still average and fun.
Norse...definitely improved but don't like the non-regenerating troll
Pact...was fun but gonna take a few attempts to wrap my head around them...don't see them being super competitive at the high end but I also haven't really seen the effects of spiraling expenses yet.
Dark Elf...I agree the assassins aren't quite all that but the new runners with 7mv and dump-off are FAR superior to the old passers with 6mv and pass. Been having a lot of fun with them so far...the new skills in wrestle and fend are making the linos more usefull as well.
badgertheking

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2011 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried the assasin, he failed they got retired. But yes the runner is very cool.
Pro elf Blitzers rock, one of my faviroute players in bloodbowl.
I think I will be trying Nurgle soon, they seem like a fun and strong team with bags of personality.
Happy New Year
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2011 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

captainmalkor wrote:

Norse...definitely improved but don't like the non-regenerating troll

Ah yes, the Hornless minotaur... good stuff. So ok... he has claws. Still worse Big Guy in the game. I'd leave him at home. Good times. Smile