19 coaches online • Server time: 05:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
the_grey_ghost

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2004 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Jan raised a very good question and nagged at a question that perplexed me,

Can a player stand up from prone if a pass is thrown directly over him?

THe rule does say that a player is allowed to move three squares, well why not stand up if it lets him interfere with the reciever or sender or gives him a chance at intercepting the ball.
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2004 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

but the three squres are taken by him getting up

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2004 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

because its not the begining of a move, block, blitz, foul, or pass action
its a pass block
you cant get up and run over to knock a pass down
see someone do it in real life and then maybe

Goodbye Cusi
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2004 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Rather than having anything to do with real life, it's just that standing up takes place at the beginning of your player's action etc...

Same thing as the Jump Up/Pass Block thread a short time ago. The Pass Block movement is not an action and therefore you can't stand up at the start of it.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m afraid that I don’t agree with you BMM. In the living rule book it says (on p12) “A player can stand up at a cost of 3 squares from his movement” and then goes to talk about people with less than 3 squares of movement. At no point does it mention anything about the beginning of his action.

I have also taken a look at the FAQ that was mentioned by G Force. Although it mentions that jump up can’t be used it says nothing about standing up.

I also quite like the image of someone jumping into the air from prone to intercept a potentially match winning pass. Shocked Imagion the look on that elf thrower's face Very Happy
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

But the question then becomes when does the player have those three squares of movement? I think it's self-evident that if you can't move during the other player's turn, you have no squares of movement to spend. Otherwise the game wouldn't have turns at all and everything would happen simultaneously.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeti wrote:
I’m afraid that I don’t agree with you BMM. In the living rule book it says (on p12) “A player can stand up at a cost of 3 squares from his movement” and then goes to talk about people with less than 3 squares of movement. At no point does it mention anything about the beginning of his action.

Right next to that, in the left column, it says the following:
LRB p12 wrote:
While prone the player loses his tackle zone and may do nothing except stand up at a cost of three squares of his movement when he next takes an action.

The layout of the LRB is really due for a makeover, if you ask me. Stuff like this is really only possible to find when you do a search in the file... I had just written a message saying that you were right until I tried that.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Devils advocation : I thought using pass block was an action

I dont agree with it working but ... can you push my nose to where it says only the big 4 count as "an action"

Isnt pass block a free action ?

Last edited by nazerdemus on %b %07, %2004 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Apart from the technicalities of whether it is allowed or not....is anyone aware as to whether the client allows it or not. I would test it with a stand alone...but won't get a chance until tomorrow eve.

It's one of those hazy issues that is only going to open up different interpretations of what an action consists of
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Nazerdemus: The definition of actions on page 8 specifies that the actions are Block, Move, Blitz, Pass, Handoff and Foul.. It goes to great length to define actions as one of these things, done during your own turn.

Passblock says nothing that overrides that - nowhere does it say that using passblock is a free action or any action at all. Therefore, passblock is not an action, but a skill. Sidestepping, s similarly, is not an action either.

Mutescreamer: It does not work in the client - I've tried it.

If I ever wind up in court, I want the devil for my lawyer. I'm all about Devil's Advocacy. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, point taken.
I must agree, the rules are a little scattered. Has there been any talk previously of such a makeover? Maybe we could ask them to add a draw of convenience to their end table Wink
Funso

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2004 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Why are the rules a little scattered on this point?

The rule book states you can stand up only as part of an "action", and then lists the possible "actions" in the game of bloodbowl. The rule book does not state passblock is an "action".

Where's the confusion?
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

sorry
this was dont to death a very very long time ago, on other forums. The official answer from the top was NO you cannot, nor can you use jump up to pass block, its over finito,

If you dont like the writning in the rulebook then speak to its writers. Wink

Jump to: