20 coaches online • Server time: 07:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
monboesen

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
why do you feel the need to call out people on their playstyle?...

people are going to play slow
people are going to foul(no this does not mean you should run off and start yet another fouling thread)
people are going to stall
people are going to do whatever sort of thing they can think of to win.....

GET OVER IT!

I don’t. Because while stalling, fouling, crowd pushing and all the other nasty things you can do aren't explicitly stated in the rulebook to be illegal.

However taking more than 4 minutes a turn is. And though it's impossible to implement that rule to effect in the fumbbl environment it doesn't mean people should feel free to ignore it.

I’m not by any means a very fast player. And I can live with a turns hovering close to (or even exceed a few times) the 4 min. I can live with real life stepping in once or twice a game. But if every turn takes more than 4 min, like some players do, it is blatant disregarding of the actual rules in order to gain an advantage.

I recently saw a tournament game where I feel half convinced that one of the players applied taking loooooong turns (far beyond 4 min each turn) as a tool to annoy and frustrate his opponent. In effect he tried to rattle him and make him angry, hoping he would play worse. I even think it worked.
RoD

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Why cant it just not be like the board version rules that after 4min your opponent can end your turn if he wishes ? that way you can have ok fast game, but still got the option you have long turns if somethings happends irl.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Why cant it just not be like the board version rules that after 4min your opponent can end your turn if he wishes ? that way you can have ok fast game, but still got the option you have long turns if somethings happends irl.

Because people are petty and would sit waiting for the time to reach 4min and 1sec before pressing that turn button with glee. Combine that with net lag and Real life and you would have a real bad situation and lots of angry coaches.

It. Just. Won't. Work.
macike

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

monboesen wrote:
However taking more than 4 minutes a turn is. And though it's impossible to implement that rule to effect in the fumbbl environment it doesn't mean people should feel free to ignore it.

Why not? People are free. The 4 minutes rule is the one I have never been obedient to.

I do enjoy analyzing the situation on board and finding the solution more than fast clicking. Why would you like to take that fun away from me?

Besides there is a slow thinker notice on my coach page as well as it is included in all my R and L team infos. Furthermore any R coach who offers me a game is asked whether he has read that notice. Almost none has!!! IMHO anyone who doesn't read the opponent info is guilty of the negligence and has no right to complain.

On the other side if you hate slow thinkers put such an information on your coach page/team bios. I don't bother such guys with game proposals. Just don't like to offend people.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

macike wrote:
monboesen wrote:

Why not? People are free. The 4 minutes rule is the one I have never been obedient to.

I do enjoy analyzing the situation on board and finding the solution more than fast clicking. Why would you like to take that fun away from me?

Besides there is a slow thinker notice on my coach page as well as it is included in all my R and L team infos. Furthermore any R coach who offers me a game is asked whether he has read that notice. Almost none has!!! IMHO anyone who doesn't read the opponent info is guilty of the negligence and has no right to complain.

On the other side if you hate slow thinkers put such an information on your coach page/team bios. I don't bother such guys with game proposals. Just don't like to offend people.

Yup, Im gonna do that with my own teams etc, except Im a fast player and like fast games!
Apple_Sauce28

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

so whose responsible for this ressurection???
Afroman

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Just start a division where the time limit is enforced and let the rest of us communicate with our opponents when we need more time.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I don't but FUMBBL deviates from LRB rules only on the following points.

Quote:
Differences from the LRB

* The handicap table is only partially implemented. See the JavaBBowl README for more info.
* The tournaments section is not in effect. Specifically, there are no challenges.

And the LRB include these comments on turn time

Quote:
A coach is only allowed four minutes to complete his team turn.

Quote:
TURNOVERS Normally, a team turn only ends when all of the players in the team have performed an action. However, certain events cause the team turn to end before all of the players have taken an action. These events are called turnovers. The following events cause a turnover:

... 5. The four-minute time limit for the turn runs out.

Those are the actual rules of BB and makes turns longer than 4minutes illegal. They can't be implemented on FUMBBL for the reasons hashed out in this thread. But IMO that just makes it each coach individual responsibility to stay compliant with the actual rules.

And I'm quite sure that many coaches who use less than 4minutes still feel they analyse the situation on the board rather than randomly fast-clicking.

It is of course commendable to inform your opponent that you are generally slower than that and if both agree on it thats just fine. IMO it is not ok in tournament games, including the official FUBMBL cups.
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

slow players rock my socks!!!
macike

Post 12 Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

danielcollins wrote:
slow players rock my socks!!!

4minute racists suck my rock Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

if we're not going to use the four minute rule, can I chose to stop deciding that players who died in games were actually just badly hurt? If not, why not?

A rule is a rule and should be enforced as such, especially in ranked. And yeah, an opponent turning over after the 4mins should work. If someone's going to turn you over after 4mins 1sec when you told him you were having a pee, well don't play the idiot again, simple as that
Menikmati

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

i never really had a problem with slow players. first of all because i rarely played guys who were so slow that i had to compain. even if they were slow i spent time doing something else, like reading news or stuff. usually i play games when i got the time, so there is no real need to hurry anyway. in regard to that the number of moments were slowplay annoys me is so little that its not even worth thinking of.

and btw theres a file in the bb folder called differences from board game.
no one seems to complain that these rules are actually not enforced as it is not possible (right now), so why all that bothering?

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MEZIR RESPONDED ON THE FIRST PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP TALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

ok....for all of you nimrods who have *NO* comprehension of the things that go on beyond your tiny little "me me me" world...

next time you have to use the bathroom in the middle of a game, i shall demand that all of you end your turn immediately, since there's a possibility that your turn will go over 4 minutes...
if you have connection problems, or your ISP decides to be crappy, and you lag, i shall demand that you end your turn immediately, since there's a possibility that your turn will go over 4 minutes...
if you get a phone call, i shall demand that you end your turn immediately, since there's a possibility that your turn will go over 4 minutes...
if someone knocks on your door, i shall demand that you end your turn immediately, since there's a possibility that your turn will go over 4 minutes...
if you have children, hell i'll just demand that you concede on the spot, since who knows when your family will take priority over your game, and since we *ALL* know that blood bowl takes priority over real life, i can demand that..

hopefully you peons will catch on to the sarcasm....

name *one* game that you've played, where you had a turn that went over 4 minutes, and your opponent immediately ended your turn...if you can, you must have been playing with some real nazi jerkoffs....or maybe *you* were the nazi jerkoff who demanded the turn be ended...

cuz i certainly can't....i know the people i used to play tt with, we would stop to order food, use the bathroom, grab beer, talk to other people in the house watching....*gasp* it was a social event!...it wasn't some militaristic competition where you were required to end your turn at 04:00 minutes and not at 04:01 or higher....

you people make me sick

and for you clowns who talk about "oh well i play to have fun, and my opponent taking more than 4 minutes isn't fun to me!".....what about your opponents fun?...maybe he's playing as fast as he can, and his 5 minute turn is fun for him....why do you feel the need to deprive him of his fun, just because *YOU* are an inconsiderate jerkoff?

--j

ImageImage
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Chief Nimrod here. It's sort of sad how those opposed to time clocks feel the best way to argue their point is at best to command a halt to the discussion and at worst just insult those who disagree with them. There seems to be a misperception out there that having a time clock is available would automatically effect everyone. If there was any timed option, then 1) Both people would have to agree to it, allowing those who don't like it to decline to play those who insist on a time clock, and 2) even within timed games, there would be a set amount of time for all your moves (plus a certain amount of time that you would gain per turn, so you could never run out of time for the whole game) allowing you to take a little bit more time on a particular turn to go to the bathroom or answer the door or whatever. There could even be a 5 minute halftime break.
 Jump to: