38 coaches online • Server time: 13:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hall Of Fame: Waste Of Time?
Damn fine idea - good work Sepp
60%
 60%  [ 66 ]
Hmmm, not so sure...C+ for effort though
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
You are a retard, leave FUMBBL now, gimp
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 109

thesquig

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea...

I gotta develop my undead for this. People are bound to want to play with a st5 ghoul and a st4 ag4 blodge wight... Very Happy

deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

are you thinking about using rosters from the past? like the ole' revenge or the 11 thugz in their prime or would it just show the current crummy position their in now?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
...4. BadMrMojo (of the User Guide Mods) suggested that the Recordia Spluttanica go there and this project is of the same nature.

Just to expand upon my logic (occasionally spotty as it may be), the User Guide is a community-built project to help people get going as part of the FUMBBL community.

Obviously this includes topics like tech support and instructions. We've already had a number of people put a significant amount of time and effort into adding tactics, both general and for specific teams.

It's my personal opinion that things like this and The Recordopedia Spluttanica are helpful in getting people involved in the league as a community, rather than just a place to play games. Sure, that's its primary purpose but not the only one, IMO.

As far as the idea, I have to say that I rather like it. I'll see if I can whip up a way for people to upload their favorite old rosters as well.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

deathgerbil wrote:
are you thinking about using rosters from the past? like the ole' revenge or the 11 thugz in their prime or would it just show the current crummy position their in now?

Just to clarify, I don't know how close to the real experience of old school teams could get without installing really old and multiple versions of the client, but the Coaches favourite (or possibly even several favourites from different stages) roster from whenever he/she can scrounge up a roster would be ideal. So, for a uber-coach like Deathgerbil, one team may have 2 or 3 definitive rosters, after all, 100's of games on one team produces several peaks, which may be different enough to be worthy of Legendary status in thier own right. Sort of:

Coach = Deathgerbil...
* Deathgerbils Revenge A <brief description>
* Deathgerbils Revenge B <brief description>
* Deathgerbils Revenge C <brief description>

If anyone has a better idea, feel free to comment...

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I donĀ“t know if it have been brough up, but this can allready be done. With some simple HTML-programing you can edit your team in any way you want. Using this methos I have tried lots of stuff, including playinbg with other peoples teams. Offcourse it can only be done on a local game though.
DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

wow seppuku this could actually work...

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, good to know kemimutt that should the experienced coach with a roster that can't be found or uploaded could contact you and recreate a roster for posting in Classic Teams.

Really pleased that coaches like kemimutt are prepared to get involved and offer time and energy in projects like this Smile

kemimutt has been press-ganged

Last edited by Seppuku on %b %14, %2005 - %20:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Seppuku wrote:
...Just to clarify, I don't know how close to the real experience of old school teams could get without installing really old and multiple versions of the client, but the Coaches favourite (or possibly even several favourites from different stages) roster from whenever he/she can scrounge up a roster would be ideal....

OOoooooooooohhhhh....

The README file wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------
56. Force Options in Roster
----------------------------------------------------------------
You can override certain user options by placing an option line in the rosters HTML. The options will be taken from the Team 1 roster of the player acting as the server.

You see where I'm going with this one? Thanks to Ski's spiffy new feature, I can make a form where you upload a HTML roster, check off which options you want to use with it and it writes it into the database along with the roster.

Therefore you could upload an old copy of Dark Souls and have it "force" old Piling On rules or whatever. Womanslayer rides again. Smile

Note, this will only work for the team which is started as "team 1" or, I think, the Host in a network game. I'm probably going to be busy this weekend, but I might see if I can set up just such a site in a quick, temporary format at some point in the near future.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Super-mega-uber sweet! Still, I would expect teams long gone would want to use the same rules, and 'modern' teams without PO would be team 2, to allow the old-PO to be team1, to see how the old PO rules and teams would fare against modern teams...rather than cripple the old team by negating the old rules they were built on. Or perhaps that might be the point to certain matches.

Either way, fantastic, seems like the more it's thought about, the easier it's gonna be Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I am happy to be of service.

Stop press-ganging me.
Renegade

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Long time no see eh Sepp?

You monkey loving rent-boy.

Unfortunately, work commitments have hammpered my enjoyment of the Fumbbl site (and your wit!!).
Maybe I'll get involved...
Seppuku

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2005 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Eh up Ren. Glad to see you have a life on the outside...

As far as Classic Teams goes, you can be my sidekick approval monkeh anytime, depending on the financial contributions...i accept paypal, cash and the services of good-looking girlfriends/wives/sisters, and even mum's if they are top-heavy Smile

kemimutt is no longer press-ganged as he has been conscripted. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Though it is called the User Guide, it can easily accomodate this new section. I really like it - it will be a wonderful resource for new coaches who want to find out what a mega 250TR+ team feels like to play, and honours the coaches who put the time in creating these amazing teams. Teams that won major tourneys should also have their 'snap-shots' taken in this way. Tracking down old rosters will be the tricky bit; presuming coaches don't have an old version of their team on disk, they'll have to PM or otherwise contact the opponents they played when their teams were at their height, to see if they still have it in their saved teams folder - that is unless Christer can actually look them up on the database.

Last edited by Colin on %b %15, %2005 - %17:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2005 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, my dark side flings at their scariest?? Wink they were unstoppable as zucchini just passed 176 spps and aubergine as the reliable option, but then zucchini got too big for the team! the team is semi retirement but ill bring them out sometime and retire them when the big man dies or gets retired!
Seppuku

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2005 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It's in the "Fumbbl Community" section, and as BMM wrote, lies there pretty well.

Also, as kemimmut explained, there will be a way to edit a roster. It may take some time (if it was early enough for no replay to be available) to determine from a team history what players, and what skills would be needed to faithfull recreate a team, but it's worth doing for those legendary teams!

Another possibility that crossed my mind was that as an editor is needed, and will be available, some fraudulent teams might be attempted. I will almost certainly have to have a seperate page for applicant teams, and another for accepted teams viewed by the community. I hope if people should wish to fantasise and just create a silly team, they will take advantage of another section I want to include, Dream Teams. Here you could post any team you have created with the editor, 220TR experiment for your Amazons with an unusual skill/stat mix to see what they'll play like, or perhaps a 1000TR team with all the skills and stats you've ever dreamed of, and all without niggles! Truly a section for experiments and power gaming freaks, but it will hopefully provide an avenue to avoid attempts at cheating. After all, every Classic Team will be thoroughly checked, and pretenders won't be tolerated.

If anyone feels like volunteering for checking/approving duties, as long as your names not inquisitorpustus Very Happy feel free to PM me. Should have an early version up within the week, fingers crossed. And whilst any interest at the moment is greatly appreciated, I hope specific references to teams past and present don't clog this thread, as I have to read it all. Please make all the suggestions and comments on the service as you want. I am sure there will be another thread pop up once the service is available for bragging about your team, or "they don't want to be in classics, they're n00bs.." or "..those Dark Elves of Coach X were far deadlier at 300TR.."....that sort of thing. Thanks.

Last edited by Seppuku on %b %15, %2005 - %17:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: