47 coaches online • Server time: 10:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dr.Caligari

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I really want to coach an undead team and im torn between those two. The mummies are just too good to be compared to Flesh Golems, but since they reduced the nuber of Wights in a team to 2 having access to 2 Werewolves sounds good.

How do they compare in leagues thus far?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You've basically summed it up right there. Mummies or Wolves? Do you want your star players to be stronger or more mobile?

Necros are probably a slightly stronger team. I think it's safe to say that the difference between Mummies and Flesh Golems is nowhere near vast enough to compensate for the addition of the wolves. Necro teams do have to worry more about keeping their stars alive, however. AV8 and no apothecary means that wolves die quite frequently while Undead teams tend to rely on the mummies and wights instead (and ghouls to a lesser extent). Fortunately, the wolves are quick to skill up.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot to post this. The answer to your question. In the league, Undead have a 45% win record and Necros have 41%. If you count ties as a half a win, those numbers become 54% and 50% respectively.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

DonĀ“t go for statistics when playing. Play the cooler team.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

is this for a tabletop league? if so... buy an undead box set and then buy 2 wolves and 2 golems and hey presto, 2 teams for th price of 1 1/2!!!
Pelzmuff

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea. Then paint up the undead for your league. Necros are for tournaments.
origami

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are going for an undead team, don't forget Vamps. The do make for a bit of a challenge though...
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Bleh. Take khemri. Splattery goodness.

Failing that, undead are the stronger team and more fun I reackon.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

After playing two undead team (one team to the semi's of fumbbl cup I), I prefer Necro's. The necro's are a challenge to play with the puppies and ghouls dying quickly. The necro's are a great passing team, which is unusual for undead. Also, the puppies can be built for different things, such as scoring, hurting, sniping etc. Having players with stand firm is fun as you can try to move the golems around for assists if needed.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2005 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I began to play with an Undead team after trying out the Necros. My starting Undead lineup was: 7 Zombies, 4 Ghouls and 6 re-rolls. By having 4 Ghouls in the roster I usually had at least one of them around even late in the game (last drive), whilst two Wolves (or Necro's 2 Ghouls if you don't start with Wolves) are the main foul target for any opposing team. With a beginning team, and maybe a beginning coach as well, this can be a problem. Dead players cost money.

The choice between the two teams is a matter of personal opinion, really.

If you choose Necros, you need to think of the Wolves: how they develop, whether they choose blitzing or scoring, giving support to Wolves 'cause they have Frenzy and no Block, trying to keep the Wolves alive and avoid being fouled etc. You also need to think much about Zombie supports because Flesh Golems are "only" ST4. Set-ups can be a bit hard sometimes, as your biggest guys are ST4 and Zombies are verrrry sloooooooow. Guard+Stand Firm is a good combo for this team and the Wolves can catch the ball and RUN (supposing someone else is able to throw it). Smile

If you choose Undeads, you still need to think of how to get the most out of your Skeles/Zomps (support for Blitz, tying up players) but you will have more free players thanks to Mummies not needing much assist, by not having to support Frenzy players without Block, by possibly hiring MV5 Skeletons and by having Dodge skill on 4 players instead of 2. Werewolves are very fast but Undeads are more mobile as a whole. Smile
Attacking lineups are also a tad easier to make due to having Mummies instead of Flesh Golems.

Personally, I play better with a team that has lots of similar players. I don't like to think of individual players' (blitzer/scorer Wolf) positions and actions. That's why I play with Undead atm.
Dr.Caligari

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the reply, still not sure what to do though. I love the new Flesh Golem minis, and i probably wouldn't play skellies anyway. I guess i could buy a Necro team and buy two mummies later.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead are the better team IMO. They are more versatile than necros and thats what makes them a better team. They have decent agility (only being slighty slower than necros) but much more hitting power in the mummies. Remember the st gap between 4-5 is huge. Lots of teams have st4 players and you can get +st on st3 players quite often.

They are quite a user friendly team also and teach you basics of the game well. ie. dont dodge with the lineman type player (zombie) blitz with the wight, dodge with the runner (ghoul) and smack with the mummy!

I've played both and took necromantic to the bloodbowl. WW are too much of a target. The undead defense is also really difficult to break.

Smess

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly. Undead are way better.
Try to play with a necro team vs undead. You'll get nowhere near victory
Dr.Caligari

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 06:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Sold! Undead it is!
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2005 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm starting my RL season later this week with my Necro team.

Thanks for the pep talk, guys. Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2005 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck, Shep. Personally, I can't stand a team that is largely incapable of handling the ball. At least humans/chaos/skaven, once you get past the usual throwers, are still at least decently expected to pick up the ball, handoff, even pass in a pinch. Everybody on the roster (barring injury) is capable of doing it all, maybe not as well, but rr's can go a long way towards improving your odds. Zombies, skeletons, other agi 2 teams just can't hack it should their primary players (wights, ghouls, etc) get taken out.

Yes, I play dwarves in tournaments, and I am aware they have largely agi 2 all around as well. However, they have far less fear of losing their positionals off-pitch, IMHO.

Jump to: