38 coaches online • Server time: 10:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello fellow coaches.

Yesterday I played a really nice match against some lizzards. I was lucky enough to win 3-0, to get 25 spp’s and all of that without any casualties at all. Today however when I could finally do my skill rolls both my blitzers niggled on their second skill roll… So basically I got ****** by ageing once more. Without this incident I would have bought my second slayer. Now I have to reconsider what tos pent my Money on. On the posi-tive side: my runner got +ST and my FF increased so I hope I will be able to replace both blitzers soon (before they get too many extra spp’s).

(my team):
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=135589

Can any of you give me some advice on whom to retire and what player to buy? Advice on new skills and tactics for this particular team are welcome as well. Thanks!
monboesen

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Retire the niggler with the most spp right away and the other as soon as you can afford it. Never keep nigglers. You will grow to depend on them and they will hog more spp that could have gone to more fit players.

Stop taking Guard and Mighty Blow with your players unless you want to resign yourself to playing vs. Chaos, Orcs and Chaos dwarves only and still spend hours finding games for your dwarves. Check the boards to see why, there have been plenty threads about it.

Try stuff like Break Tackle, Shadow and Pass Block instead and pray for doubles (Sprint, Sure feet, Dodge) and Movement/AG Increases.

In short. Don't make a typical dwarven team, not many like to play vs. them. If thats what you really want to play find a tournement where people HAVE to play you.
Tesifonte

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

man, i got several ability rolls to do, would you do em for me? (+1str x2...ffs)

TaChIkOmA! \o/
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I was planning on replacing one niggler now and hoepfully the other after next match. It still sucks that I will have to build them up once more. But at least it gives new chances for the +MA or even bettter the all-important +AG (still hoping for that to happen).

I’m going to develop my dwarves with some bashy skills but I will take +AG or +MA any day. I just have to be lucky enough to roll them. And I won’t turn down +ST even i fit is on my runners just so I don’t scare opponents away.

I rely on my reputation for being a fair non-fouling, non stalling coach to get my games with my dwarves and sof ar I haven’t had difficulties. Not fouling and not stalling makes a huge difference imo. And if it gets harder later on I still have my other teams to play with…

Btw what should I do with my +ST runners? How do I use / develop them from here on?
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Tesifonte 2 times +ST is nice but two nigglers on 2nd skill-roll sucks as well. And I would rather have +AG on the runners and +ST on my slayers… But +ST runners is nice as well. Hoping for a ST5 runner…
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Use the runners as you would your blitzers and use the newly hired blitzers as runners!

The runners as you have them now are better at the blocking anyway, and the new blitzers could use the spp. They all have AG3, and the blitzer had MA5 so you'd have to take it a bit slower but then again you're playing dwarfs so it shouldn't matter much. Good luck, and hope to see you on the field.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Torsoboy thanks for the advice. I think I will do that indeed. What skills would you suggest on the Runners?
kemimutt

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It never ends, always replacing aged nigglers. The curse of Blood Bowl, atleast for me.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a dwarf player so I might not be the qualified person to ask. If it were my team though, I'd get them pass block; the reason being simple. Dwarfs are slow, and anything that increases their speed on the board is good. Pass block is a free 3 space move under certain circumstances. On doubles, side step or sure feet would be nice. I'm sure these are not the best possible choices, but they're certainly what I'd take.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I rely on my reputation for being a fair non-fouling, non stalling coach to get my games with my dwarves and sof ar I haven’t had difficulties. Not fouling and not stalling makes a huge difference imo.

It won't at higher TR. Consider this, when most of your players have Guard and Mighty Blow its just horrible to play against you. And it also leaves you with few options of how to play. Basically bash and cage. Pretty boring for both you and your opponent. Ask any coach with a developed bashy dwarf team at about TR 190+ how many games they get.

So in a way the niggles and forced retirements are not that bad. They keep your team at a TR where you can find games with dwarves.

Quote:

I'd get them pass block; the reason being simple. Dwarfs are slow, and anything that increases their speed on the board is good. Pass block is a free 3 space move under certain circumstances

And that reasoning goes for all other dwarfs on the team too. Pass block is a good skill that gets better the more players on a team that have it.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2005 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Which reminds me, I did play against a dwarf team the other day that included a ST4 dodging sidestepping runner (he was mighty annoying). You could watch the replay I guess... if only to laugh at my incompetence.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1480266

edit: I just found out my team (Seriously Smart Guys) is prominently mentioned on his team page. I'm so honored Very Happy
origami

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Truthfully, it hardly matters what skills you take on your dwarf team - at high TR few people will play you. They will simply see the word "Dwarf" and refuse the match.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 05:15 Reply with quote Back to top

That is so true. People see 'Dwarf team' and don't even look at your team at all, they just go play a Chaos team with 3 Claws, 2 DP, and 2 RSC (probably at least one player with Claw/RSC) instead--and most likely has several guards...I just don't understand it at all. Dwarves are a bashing team, that is true..but High TR Chaos is so much worse, yet they get so many more games...

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 05:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't get challenged by dwarfs anymore Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd challenge you if I had anything in range. Very Happy