29 coaches online • Server time: 04:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2005 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

My humans were down two blitzers once, so I hired Morg to shore up the LOS. After a week of trying to get another game for my guys, I finally turned Morg into an assistant coach (he's listed under my "Past Playesr" Smile ) and played down in order to finally get a game back in. So many coaches, including chaos/orc coaches, were petrified of the guy. Heck, I had better players on my roster, but he was the reason they said no game! Ridiculous! Stars are fine and good, but once your team gets up above 200 TR odds are your players are just as good if not better, so what's the beef?

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2005 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The beef I would have is that coaches don't happen to care about the fate of hired guns. Your players might be better at TR200+, but you wouldn't be using them like you would with throwaway players. Would you use an apo on a star for example?

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2005 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
Heck, I had better players on my roster, but he was the reason they said no game! Ridiculous! Stars are fine and good, but once your team gets up above 200 TR odds are your players are just as good if not better, so what's the beef?

Better players on your Human team than Morg???? That I find hard to believe. Shocked

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2005 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
The beef I would have is that coaches don't happen to care about the fate of hired guns. Your players might be better at TR200+, but you wouldn't be using them like you would with throwaway players. Would you use an apo on a star for example?

Well, I had used an apo on Scrappa Sorehead in a match against dark elves because I had him in my plans. The apo failed, so the plan was disturbed anyway. Later in the same match an orc thrower and a orc blitzer became ripped: A lesson I won't forget. Crying or Very sad

DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm reasonably happy that most people seem to agree what I did was fine (having him on the roster before LFG'ing), so I'll keep on doing it.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I have met Nobbla Blackwart on the pitch as a surprice when he pulled up a chainsaw and got 2 BH and a rip the first five turns before he got send away, I lost that game. I was angry and really pissed of on my self for not thinking of the poassebility. Cant even remember the coach I played vs no hard feelings at all towards him for useing a "trick/plan" thats allowed by the rules. I thaugt thats a nice idea, lets try it. I managed to make one stunn before he got sendt out, he got the MVP award, upp yours nuffle said and smiled at me Laughing
I say its a taktic thats allowed so Go for it, doesnt upset me more than a coach that fouls a couple of times when its needed to win.

Zredna
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Well I'm reasonably happy that most people seem to agree what I did was fine (having him on the roster before LFG'ing), so I'll keep on doing it.

In case of a last-minute hired Star there might be different points of view... If something is on the roster before the game is agreed I can't see the problem at all.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
It is funny how many coaches don't know the rules and are surprised when they see they cannot block fungus the loon.
Goblins have the best cheap star players to hire. Why should they ignore them?

Because they're uncool, at least that's my reason... Wink
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

tassel wrote:
vanGorn wrote:
It is funny how many coaches don't know the rules and are surprised when they see they cannot block fungus the loon.
Goblins have the best cheap star players to hire. Why should they ignore them?

Because they're uncool, at least that's my reason... Wink

What's cooler than swirling through dwarves, bullcentaurs and mummies with a ball&chain fanatic. Rolling Eyes

Glomp

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Blowing apart a dwarf cage with Bomber Dribbleshot and watching beard fly.

You people have no style. Razz

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

If you knew about them before the game I dont think It'd be fair to call them secret weapons, surely that would make them announced weapons or something similar.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
Blowing apart a dwarf cage with Bomber Dribbleshot and watching beard fly.

You people have no style. Razz

Bomber Dribblesnot is my Dwarf team's Public Enemy #1 for a damn good reason. He's hurt more of my players than anyone else (Troll Slayer intercepts Bomb! Bomb explodes prematurely! (6, 6), (6, 6) +1, 6, Troll Slayer has been KILLED!!!). And in two entire matches of doing nothing but throwing bombs every turn he failed to ignite the fuse properly justonce, and then it was re-rolled...

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2005 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I just hire whatever I feel like and don't offer that fact to the opponent. Whats funny is most people ask that I host. So I give them the proxy name, hire the star, then start the server. NEVER has anyone NOT connected when I do this. So either people really aren't that careful, or they really don't care.

Personally, I don't care if people hire a star. I always look at treasury and figure out what they might hire before I start a game. Its usually easy to tell if their team is 'complete' and they have money to burn or if they are saving for a new position. I just assume they WILL hire and go for it.
arcane257

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2005 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

My only gripe about starts here on fumbbl is they dont work like they are suppose to. This last minute highering them when your opponent has cash and then trying to claim that is what the living rule book says is crap. Normally you move down the list and if your oponent highers and you have the cash you can higher one as well.

But how most peeps I have delt with so far on fummbl handle freebooting a star is like this: they have cash sitting around and challenge me to a game when I have cash they ask me to host then after free booting a star they join the game. Thats just low and I note those peeps that follow that path and make sure not not to play them again.

The gobo teams with the warning in there team bio are my only real exception to this along with a certain undead team that warns if they have the money they may higher the count. I dont mind peeps highering stars I just mind not being able to do anything in response when by the normal rules I would be able to. It feals to me just like someone exploiting a glitch in the client.
When I freeboot a star on fumbbl I higher them then lfg. I figure its on my roster and if you miss it, its just the same as you missing my claw/fangs guy or 4 dps or whatever.
random thoughts from some other guy
arcane
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2005 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason that I don't think it is fair to hire a stat immediately before a match is that it suddenly changes the TS of the team. If you're already challenging a team that is better than yours, and expecting a tough game, its a bit rough when they add an extra star (or several) and maybe a wizard to the team.
I certainly have no problems playing against start players or wizards, but I certainly appreciate it if my opponent will hire them first, or at least is willing to tell me before the start of the game.
 Jump to: