31 coaches online • Server time: 13:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I proposed this team in another thread a long time ago and recently went back to the idea. I stole the team name but the fluff remains largely the same. Wizards are tired of just watching blood bowl on cabal vision so they decided to put together (in some cases literally) a team of there own. Due to massive regulation on the use of spells in normal blood bowl they where forced to move to the stunty league. Fielding their familiars and animated constructs as a team they set about to take place in the mayhem.

USFL (United Sorcerers' Familiars Legion)

0-3 Golem: 3/5/1/9 Thick Skull, Regenerate, Undead, Mighty Blow (G, S) 120k

0-16 Imp: 6/1/3/6 Stunty, Dodge, Prehensile Tail, Horns (A) 40k

RR-70k
Apoth-yes
Wizard-yes

Golem:
The golems are massive stone beings constructed by wizards for use as bodyguards and for their general ability to break anything the wizard doesn’t like. The golem is under the direct mental control of the wizard coaching the team and for this reason can obviously take advantage of team rerolls. They are very slow and can’t make use of an apothecary (undead reflects there inorganic nature, they aren’t actually undead) but they would also be the only reliable “big guy” in stunty. To balance this out further they have very expensive rerolls.

Imp:
Imps are small demonic looking creatures employed by wizards as familiars to aid in there spellcasting. The imp is very small and weak generally and as such is only str 1 but can use a it’s various features to it’s benefit. The prehensile tail is probably rather powerful but the horns won’t come into play often as most blitzs will be taken up by the golems.

As far as fluff goes the team is rather amusing. The idea of half mad wizards commanding their servants as they laugh maniacally on the sidelines while throwing the occasional fireball onto the pitch is very in line with the feel of stunty.

As far as being mechanically unique and providing a unique playing style they provide 3 points which separate them from other teams. First you have reliable big guys, no other team has big boys that can use rerolls this should be balanced out by the str 1 stunties and the fact that they don’t have any secret weapons. Second you have the prehensile tail stunties which should be very useful and provide some provide the coach with plenty of options to plan on player placement to prevent his opponent from dodging. Third you have horns on str 1 players which will allow them to blitz at str 2 so you can use them to catch the ball carrier if he’s out of range of your golems but at the same time he gets hit just like a str 1 player.

I like the return to a simpler team line up with only two player options it feels more stream lined and at the same time I feel that they provide a lot of uniqueness while not having to rely on a large number of positionals or weapons. All in all it seems like a pretty simple and playable team.

I just wanted to get my latest version of this team out there for people to look over and coment on. Hope you like it. Very Happy

Post 14 Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

thumbs up. i like
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

bump

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a very good concept of a team, but with 3 Big Guys who can use rerolls is a bit much, especially after they get block. It would seem after they advance awhile you could have 3 really strong players all with block, tackle, multiple block, break tackle, av9 and regen.....wont be seeing many of these injured and with access to rerolls they just seem to strong. I would suggest maybe making the golems more like flesh golems...st4 and mv4 with standfirm added and keep the other skills mentioned, and because of the less strength, drop the cost a bit so it would be:
0-3 Golem 4/4/1/9 Thick Skull, Regenerate, Undead, Mighty Blow, Standfirm (G, S) 100k

I have nothing to say about imps, as i think the imps are very good as they are listed, as well as the RR, apoth, and wizard.

Just my two cents.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I had considered doing that same thing, but with str 1 and no positionals or weapons i was worried they would get chewed up to easily. But now that i think about it again it wouldn't be to hard to use two golems to tie up the opponents big guys and have one free for bashing and that could work out just fine. Definatley going to think about that, thanks for the post.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

USFL (United Sorcerers' Familiars Legion) Revised again!

0-3 Golem 4/4/2/9 Thick Skull, Regenerate, Undead, Mighty Blow, Standfirm (G, S) 120k

0-16 Imp: 6/1/3/6 Stunty, Dodge, Prehensile Tail, Horns (A) 40k

RR-70k
Apoth-yes
Wizard-yes

I upped the agility to two to give it the same basic stat line as a flesh golem. I know people are going to say that it's a flesh golem with mighty blow for the same price but i think most people will agree the fleshies are overpriced and this team does have all str 1 players on it. Also with the agility 2 it gives you the option of handing off the ball to them and maybe running in a few tds which would be funny and differant i think, hell agility 2 bullcentaurs score loads of tds. Makes them a little bit more unique.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, this latest roster seems like it would do well, and is definately not overpowered at all. I think it could work out very well. Definately is unique in the stunty leeg and no other team resembles this too much.
ChrisB

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

As it stands it looks like a weak lizardman team.

think the golems should be Av 10 and treated as big guys. Str 5 would be better otherwise most str teams will just batter them to death.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the main points of the team is to not have big guy on the "big guys". It's one of the things that makes the team differant as every other stunty team has unrealiable big guys but these wouldn't. Of course they will have to pay for this by being weak in other areas.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a big fan of your version of my USFL team. I deliberately avoided posting my version because I felt it was seriously lacking panache. I think the background is quite solid. Wizards have a long and storied history in Blood Bowl. I think Imps have the potential to be a good baseline player but I was never satisfied with the Golems as Big Guys or Big Guy equivalents and that's the main reason why I only posted subtle links to it for quite some time. I don't think your version has fixed any of the issues that I had with the roster. In fact in certain sense I think they have made them worse.

The Imps schtick is their horns and tails. These should be played up. ST1 makes it quite unlikely that the Horns will be used much. Combine that with 3 Big Guys and its likely usage drops even further.

Stunty Leeg is about Mayhem. A large part of which comes from TTM plays. I've done my best to limit the number of teams that can't use this mayhemful option. And if they don't have TTM capability, they should have some major mayhem capabilities in other areas (Cheaters , Squigs come to mind). Barring some major mayhemful additions, the USFL teams should have TTM capability.

I think the roster needs a fair bit of work. I think it's got potential but its just not being used. I'd love to hear some suggestions for some good fluffy familiar-ish players. Golems were an easy but dull choice and I know we can do better than this.

A few tweaks that I've been thinking over:
1) Dragon. A classic wizardly connection if I ever saw one. Probably harder to model but it may be worth the effort.
2) Cheap/Free wizard. A potential replacement for Big Guys.
3) More (dark) familiars. The only one that I am tempted to include are Ravens. But I'm sure there's more potential there.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Changesurfer Radio

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

All very valid points. Your definatley right about the ttm and probably the horns. As for the tweaks.

1. An actual dragon would definatley be out of the question but maybe some kind of baby dragon could be very cool. Perhaps a really good 0-1 big boy. But then again thats a little to much like strigs so maybe two smaller big boy equivalants.

2. The wizard thing seems an obviouse solution but i like it a lot better on the horrors team.

3. The problem with familiars is coming up with mechanics for them that aren't already done. One solution might be to split the horns and tail again. Other than those two there isn't much to work with.

Definatley needs work but it has to be workable in some way.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it would be possible to give them the dwarves runesmith to represent the wizards using their magic to juice up there conjured players. That would be differant and does kinda make sense without taking away from the horrors schtick.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

USFL (United Sorcerers' Familiars Legion)

0-2 Dragon Whelp: 6/4/3/8 Big Boy, Frenzy, No Hands (G, S) 100k

0-1 Wizard Teleporter: 5/2/3/7 TTM, Always Hungary (A) 60k

0-12 Imp: 6/2/3/6 Stunty, Dodge, Prehensile Tail, TRS (A) 40k

0-4 Homunculus: 5/2/3/7 Stunty, Dodge, Horns, TRS (A) 50k

RR-60k
Apoth-yes
Wizard-yes (rune smith)

Dragon Whelp:
Young Dragons are easier to control than there full grown bretheran but all dragons are idependant by nature so it has the big boy trait. A fast blitzer big boy with limited ability to combat enemy big boys but still able to cause some damage. Probably needs work.

Wizard Teleporter:
Needs a differant name but i couldn't think of anything esle of the top of my head. The TTM represents his ability to teleport familiars about the field and really hungary represents the unstability of dimensional travel. TTM with a slight twist he would be a huge asset to the team but with a limit of one he will also be a target and you'd need to protect him.

Homunculus:
Could also use a name change. Just a differant type of tougher familiar with horns.

The runesmith represents the wizards using there magic to enhance there familiars rather than dirrectly intervening. It seems logically that wizards skilled in summoning and controlling creatures would be more capable with empowering them than with conventional magics like fireballs and lightning.

Still needs work but i figured i'd throw a few more ideas out to be played with.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a few comments:

Make the Imps either STR 1 or limit them as positional. Otherwise they will turn all normal AG opponents into Nurglings when attempting to dodge away. If they are STR 1 at least the person can choose to block them away with some reliability.

Reduce Dragon Whelp to AG 2 (as the underdeveloped wings and tail make it difficult for them to dodge). I would be tempted to reduce MV by 1 too.

Wizard Teleporter: This guy is a fairly reliable teleporter (thrower) since he does not have stunty, nor a real negatrait. Consider giving him one or the other. There is no reason he cannot be stunty or perhaps Boneheaded (to reflect that he does not quite have a grip on his magic yet) and remove Always Starving. If you choose to keep him as he is, perhaps considering changing him to Always Bulgaria, Always Slovenia, or maybe kick it old school with Always Yugoslavia Wink I think Always Hungary gives the country a bad name.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

If you wanted to emphasize the Psyberfantasy element of Blood Bowl, you could give the Homunculus big hands Laughing

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Psy Lesson

edited by Peikko to remove an evil penis. If you were curious as to what was so offensive, check it out here.

edited by Evo to include the non-offensive picture above after scouring the net for something that conveyed the same idea. Those silly scientist types unfortunately aren't very prudish.

Last edited by EvolveToAnarchism on %b %15, %2005 - %06:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: