53 coaches online • Server time: 17:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should a great BloodBowl coach be, more than anything else?
Expert in ingame tactics
19%
 19%  [ 50 ]
Foresighted in long term strategies
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
Versatile and flexible
29%
 29%  [ 77 ]
Able to keep concentration
7%
 7%  [ 19 ]
Brave
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Lucky
30%
 30%  [ 78 ]
Something else (specify below)
6%
 6%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 260

AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I consider myself a good coach, but patience I agree is probably what keeps me from becoming a great coach. (That and modesty, of course...) When I have the ball, all too often I want to score and score NOW, not waiting (aka stalling) a turn or two to assure victory, or even hold onto the ball a turn so I can move players around and not risk dodges/gfi's for a score. I tend to do better on defense, just get impatient on offense.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Be fun to play against - even after the death of the beloved 300 spps Legend - Its only a game goddammit!
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Brave and Fun to play with//against.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Luck is the only single factor that can singlehandedly win or lose you the match. All others make up only a component of the "winning recipe", luck is a short-circuit to that altogether.
Bloke100

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Keeping up good sportsmanship. Even if you are actually smashing up the room after your superstar is taken out, don't ruin the match by venting it at your opponent.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

What should a great BloodBowl coach be, more than anything else? was the question. Not, "what would help me win more games". I'm going to rant against luck very soon... but not now.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing like playing a fun intelligent oppoent, games as such, however rare now and then, such games are by far the best and you get the best games from the best coaches, even when you play at 6 am Wink
Uber

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Be fun to play with, which requires sportsmanship.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this guy, Jez Lowe from Edinburgh. Got to the BBGT final two years ago. He is truly a great coach. He plays as I did in one of the finest local leagues in the world(I venture to suggest). As good as everyone else in that league is, he still beats us easily because he is on a different level. When you meet a player like that, you know that nothing and I mean nothing is more important than skill.
Adar

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2005 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Expert ingame tactics. The sheer amount of rolls involved with playing a large amount of games means that you inevitably will be pretty much as lucky as everyone else. Sure you can be lucky for a few games but that won't suffice to make you considered a great coach. For that you need to consistently win most of your games.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2005 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Really good players will win even when the luck is against them, and always win when being lucky. That's skill.

The best attribute for a BB is a sense of humour. Being able to laugh when your 176 SPP FUMBBL legend dies - or your rookie gnome - is more important than anything else.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2005 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

No matter how skilled an opponent, confusing them always works. If they start to cheat out of desperation, you know you have them cornered. Just don't go easy on them and let them reroll something, because then they'll manage to knock over your catcher and spoil your plans.
mitzufuss

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2005 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

not taking six minute turns, or maybe taking 6 min. turns as it causes your opponet to write in forims instead of paying attention to the game....
zredna

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2005 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't decide if I should vote for tactics or flexibility, because to be flexible is to use many different strategies and change strategy if something goes wrong. I've played lots of games where I've cursed to my self for not plan for bad luck. I've played vs good coaches and they allways seems to get avay with bad luck som way, backup plans aka flexible strategies.It is lack of good strategies that makes you vounrebal to good luck of your oponent and its good strategies that gives you the opotrunity to benefit from good luck, mainly in defence. In offense its only importent to not be really unlucky Iwould say.
And ofcourse its good to be a nice person, but thats not a question of how a great BB coach should be thats a question of how a great person should be BB coach or not.
Zredna
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2005 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

zredna wrote:
And ofcourse its good to be a nice person, but thats not a question of how a great BB coach should be thats a question of how a great person should be BB coach or not.
Zredna

<clap clap>

That's very nicely put. Being a good person to coach against starts with being a good person. How you play the game tactically and how you play the game personally are two separate things. I hope I'm always a good person when I play, even though I may get exasperated at my run of bad luck while watching my opponent make his rolls. I never want to come across as a bad sport.
 Jump to: