31 coaches online • Server time: 09:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I really hope that this doesn't devolve into a flame war, but I'm honestly curious. Accepting the fact that some people don't want to play bashy teams with their soft ones, why? Is it just the MB/Claw/RSC/DP, or is it Strength and AV in general? For Example, my orcs:

Games Played: 11 (5/5/1) | TD Diff: 5 (14 - 9) | Cas Diff: -2 (7/5/4 - 14/3/1)
They play to win, and don't kill for it's own sake. The blitzers have Tackle as their first skill, not MB, but I do have 4 BOBs and a Troll. The question is for those of you who are cautious about bashy teams.... Would you play these guys? (assuming TR/TS compatiblity)

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=134851

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup!

With no guard on your team they should be no problem for my Hammer's Slammers!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=45387

Look me up tomorrow and I'll bring the pain Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It's the MB/Claw/RSC/DP that turns me off. A little is ok, but if the team is built for killing, then I will avoid it. Any of my low AV teams would play those orcs.

Honestly, though, the teams needs a little more in the damage department. A couple of MB would do wonders when facing off against both strength and agility teams.

Last edited by origami on %b %17, %2005 - %20:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Bloke100

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I think I probably would accept a challenge from them with my wood elves (once the TR/TSs match as you say).

My own hesitancy to play bashers comes not from high strength and certainly not from high av, but more from the skill combinations that often crop up. Claw/MB/RSC are designed to do nothing other than hurt my players, and while I'd be willing to play someone who has a couple, a large number is almost certain to decimate my team. Bashers I can live with, it's when they go overboard that I'd turn them down.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomorrow doesn't work, Bunny.... Tuesday or Wednesday for Canadian evenings.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity, don't try to make your orcs look like elves, they'll have a short life. They can't do what elves do just as any bashy Dark elf team eventually meets a grim fate. Surprised)

Be what you are, embrace the bash, play to win, but win by bashing!!!!

Sounds like Bunny will show you the way!
Afro

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

For me it's scary that some coaches seem to think that playing against a team that you cannot block because you don't have enough strength or guard (and if you manage to block, you can't break the armour because of AV 9 and the lack of MB) while losing a player almost every turn to KO or injury box and THEN get bored to death by caging and moving 1 or 2 squares every turn until turn 8 is fun.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Todfatha, My record with them seems to indicate I have a chance....

Afro.... These guys don't cage, did you look at them?

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

When I play orcs, I expect to see lots of strength. I even expect to see some of that strength backed up with MB. If I don't expect that, I'm just stupid. However, when an orc coach feels the need to add 3 gobbos with DP to his 5 ST4+ players, that's when my red flag goes up and I say "no thanks". Same with Chaos. I expect to see all those CWs, and I even expect to see CWs and beasties with Claw and/or RSC. But when I see 5 of them, I suspect that the coach is more interested in disemboweling his opponent than he is in a competitive game. I'm not interested in getting my team disemboweled. If I happen to get three players killed because they got killed during the normal course of a competitive game, well that sucks and it's the drawbacks of playing elves or other low AV teams. What I try to avoid is having three players killed by a team who is first and foremost *trying* to kill my players.
Afro

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You can get that from looking at the roster ? Nice ... Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind a few claws / rscs on a team that I play against.

It's those guys with the 20% win percentage who load up on DP/Claw/RSC/MB who I don't like to play.

Afro: In my defence, I don't move 2 squares per turn. I move 11 in the first two turns and three in the last 6 Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing a woodie, skaven or pro elf team gives players with MB/Claw/RSC a 50% chance or better to break armor. I don't mind all that much playing a team loaded with guard as most dwarves or orcs. It's the above mentioned armor killers. With 7AV your players will go down quite often with Cas on their own accord from normal blocks. It's also the coaching mentality. Have to kill all your players to win???. If i'm playing a strength team and they build a cage and march it down the field to score more power to em. It's the parking at the 1 and then trying to lay waste to my team from there on out that burns me. Case in point: I have a Pro Elf team and I for one don't discriminate all that much in racial opponents. Played a Rotter team and got creamed 2SI (niggles both) and 1RIP. Took me 2 recovery games to get back to 11 players. Then lo and behold first game back with 11 and I play Norse...1SI (niggle) and 3RIPS took 6 games to get back to 11 players. And as a side note and many a point to be made by elf players, I beat both teams easily. So the bashers go home with a loss but I have to play triage with one of my favorite teams for a week or more. (Also neither opposing coach stalled or targeted any specific players was very admirable)
Afro

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Wink No need to defend yourself, i usually like to play some bashy teams myself (sadly they aren't bashy enough), but i can't stand the discussion any more why non-bashy teams dodge the bashers. it is like it is, get used to it and play my undeads.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd play those orcs anyday with my undead, no gaurd=woohoo. Tackle on the blitzers is nice but it puts off the agilty teams since it means you can get a blitzer to their citters anywhere on the table and get them down. Now if I get turned down when I only have a single tackle in my undead, thats when you worry. Occasionally I'll get a smart coach challenge with an all blodge team but thats another matter.

*edit* I didnt chech the roster, only 2 tackle means that most agility teams dont have too much to fear Smile

Squig

Last edited by thesquig on %b %17, %2005 - %21:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2005 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I care little for the label 'Cherry Picker' but if a coach turns down another coach because of too much tackle...then yeah thats cherry picking. I'd play an orc team that gave up MB for tackle any day.
 Jump to: