82 coaches online • Server time: 21:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I was invited to play a game today that had a lrger SR/TR gap than i usually play, i was unsure as to if it would be a fair game so i skipped into chat and asked if it would be

I was informed by a couple of people that the gap was most likely to large so i declined the game, so far so good right?

the next thing i know a Mod<Admin? helper?> called Thrall is practicly hurling abuse at me in a private channel, he said that i should not talk about such things in chat and that i should stop talking back to him.

I was unclear as to what i had done wrong and as the chat got longer he became more and more abusive, using liberal use of CAPS and not the best of language.

he seemed to believe it was my responcibilty to get the other person into trouble by giving there name to him.

As his attitude was so unpleasent i was not going to do that and it did not sit very well with Mr Thrall at all.

Is this the reaction i can expect from all people with authority on this site because if so i will find somewhere else to play.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Im sorry for your experience mate. Unfortunately there are real d*ckheads among the Admins too, as well as among ordinary players. Most of them are ok though. So keep playing, we need the nice ones on the fields. Just make a little blacklist of people who doesnt treat you with common sense and sportmanship.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

do the rules apply to admins aswell? because if they do he/she sure as hell broke both of these

* Personal attacks and excessive abusive language is not accepted. Discussing other people's styles of play does not qualify as personal attacks.

* Offensive language - including but not limited to racism, sexual harrassment and religious persecution - is not allowed in any form

SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Report him to Christer. He´s the big Kahuna around here. And a nice guy too.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with sergei. Not everyone can be nice. I do think that newbies are treated like crap on fumbbl, since I remember when I was one. Still, most of the folk I've played against are decent people, some havn't been but thats likely in any community, be it online or otherwise.

Stick with it mate.

Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you shall calm down a bit Hammerhiem. I bet Thrall asked you to give you the name of the coach to find out if it was a cherry picker. We do not tolerate cherry picking here. Cause of that admins do ask if such offers float arround in chat.

Another point is abusive language. Did he swore at you? Did he say bad words?

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules apply to everyone, even the admins.

Speaking of rules, there's an unwritten one about naming names. It's not exactly a rule at all, to be honest but you might want to go back and edit out the offending name in the original post. It's wicked classy.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

No way BadMrMojo, in this circumstance i will not.

he was rude without reason and abusive because he felt he had power. Why should he get away with it.

As for the cherrypicking arguement, how can i avoid cherrypicking if i am not allowed to ask my peers if it is cherrypicking? In this case i wasn't sure i asked and got abused for it.

I didn't name names in Chat of the person asking to play me but Thrall deserves to be mentioned because of his rudeness and overall horrendous attitude.

Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hammerhiem: Please consider answering my question right now.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

ITs everyones right to be able to talk with people without abusive language and cursing.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

this is the sort of thing that would have been better started in private with the admins rather than in a public forum.
if you have a conversation which you feel breaks the rules then save it and pm it straight to an admin as evidence. these kinds of threads just cause problems

Last edited by paulhicks on %b %20, %2005 - %23:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Flynn

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

im not trying to fan the flames by responding to this, i only want to respond to the accusations against me

1, i repeat that i only got on your case because you did exactly the opposite of what i told you to do in chat and i repeated that over and over again to you.
2, i never once in my opinion said anything racist sexist or of any religious orientation
3, i know that i was abusive, but i was doing it to try to make a point, because i felt that you were disrespecting me by doing what i told you not to and then arguing with me about whether or not you did just that. Also i feel that most of my abusiveness was in response to your refusal to cooperate with me when i was trying to help out the community

Goodbye Cusi
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2005 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I wish i had the rights to close this thread...

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2005 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hammerheim wrote:
...he seemed to believe it was my responcibilty to get the other person into trouble by giving there name to him.
As his attitude was so unpleasent i was not going to do that...

One can argue that it is his responsibility to find out who is behaving poorly and take whatever actions might be appropriate. You could say he was just doing his job and - for whatever reason - took it poorly when he was being thwarted.

One can also see a parallel in the following:
Hammerheim, on removing the specific name wrote:
No way BadMrMojo, in this circumstance i will not.
he was rude without reason and abusive because he felt he had power. Why should he get away with it. ...

In this case you have the power (ie: accusing someone of bad behavior makes you the aggressor and him defensive) and you're naming names simply because you can do so. Why should he get away with it? Well, maybe he shouldn't... but why should you single him out when you can just as easily make a valid point without attacking any one person?

In Thrall's case:
Thrall wrote:
im not trying to fan the flames by responding to this, i only want to respond to the accusations against me
... i only got on your case because ...
... i know that i was abusive, but i was doing it to try to make a point,...

You're admitting that you were "getting on his case" and "abusive" in order to make a very valid point. While you were just doing your job, surely you can see that he was just trying to "make a point" as well. Obviously, that can get out of hand... on both sides. Also, we all know that responding to accusations always fans the flames.
Smile

It's hard to tell in chat or on a bulletin board. Maybe we could just give the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a misunderstanding? He believed that you were getting in the way of him doing his job and you believed he was needlessly rude in trying to do it... If you could either or both just let it go then this whole ugly ordeal goes away. Taking one for the team, you know?

I'm really not trying to give either of you a hard time. I'm just trying to open up the discussion some. Feel free to PM me if you disagree or would like me to clarify my point (or simply want to send me hate mail. I can take it).

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2005 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If aired in private nothing happens, no-one else is made aware of the incedent and it is impossible for the community to be aware of peoples actions.

Quote:

1, i repeat that i only got on your case because you did exactly the opposite of what i told you to do in chat and i repeated that over and over again to you.
As i told you with my first comment i wasn't sure if you where talking to me since i did not realise i had broken any rules, believe it or not you message could have refered to one of 5 conversations taking place in chat at that time.

Quote:

2, i never once in my opinion said anything racist sexist or of any religious orientation
I never said you did, i accused you of Offensive language. which you certainly did use ferequently and without provocation.

If you had sent me a PM saying:- please do not talk about rateing differences in the open forum, tell an admin and we will tell you if it too big.

you would have got a much different responce.

I will not be talked to like i am scum the way you talked to me, just because i am not a Veteran, you where out of order and everyone on this game needs to know about your poor attitude. from what i have learnt since this is not an isolated incident.

I state again i did not accuse anyone of cherrypicking at any point, i was only asking the advice of my peers. i have spoken to the player since and i expect to play him at a later date with other teams, there was no animosity between us.

Jump to: