93 coaches online • Server time: 20:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azurus

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, I'm afraid I don't really see the point.

If I wanted a bashy team, I'd play a bashy team, not try to work elves up to it.

And if I wanted to use DP, I'd use goblins. Goblins are the real 'best foulers in the game', mostly because you don't care when people kill them in revenge.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

That's cool. I'm happy with them.

I'm just talking about Elves being able to compete with bashy teams and even inflict some hurt..
I remember a very underdog HE team (100+ rating difference) taking on my 300+ TR orcs in TT once, they dodged and weaved and foiled my scoring and I just didn't get the CAS against them with one blitz per turn.

Goblins may not care when you kill them... but elves done well can swarm like gobbos and leave fewer to be knocked down, as well as being less likely to die when you do knock them over. (Hey, some elves have AV8 and while it's not enough, it's better than some.)

But then, if it turns into a fouling war, it all boils down to who rolls better both in causing pain and spotting with the ref.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Uncle_Smed wrote:
Here's the Fumbbl Helves I was talking about.

Almost half those casualties inflicted are against halflings....
Uncle_Smed

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Half the halflings beat me on tds.. I had to even things up somewhere.

Fine fine.. here's the TT woodies.

They haven't played ANY Flings... but they've avoided playing my own Dwarves.. And yes, if you bother to download the season 1 match reports, they did get the snot beaten out of them.. but they recovered!

For the stats and all whathaveyou... go here.
Season's 1 and 2 match reports are in there all zipped up, blahdy blahdy.

And by the by... from the 4 games played (a quarter of the team's total) the Flings have caused 6 of the 27 casualties suffered (nearly a quarter).
So they've been dishing out their fair share. More than by the consideration of some.

So I don't think it can be said that I've played Flings for easy games.. well... ok, maybe one of them I did.. but the Donut boys are a solid team!

Idea <-- I still think this emoticon looks like a Cyclops who's been kicked in the goolies..

Last edited by Uncle_Smed on %b %22, %2005 - %02:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Uncle_Smed wrote:

Idea <-- I still think this emoticon looks like a Cyclops who's been kicked in the goolies..

The greatest thing I have read all day. Newspapper was boring today. The world stans still...

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
they are just some pixels on the screen playing looney tune sounds that get beaten up!

THAT'S all that matters to me Wink

(of course ozjesting is the #2 High Elf coach in the world...according to NAF)

Wink again

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience the majority of the bashy teams here on fumbbl are _very_ bashy, meaning 1 dp and a lot of MB/claw isn't enough for most coaches and ppl wonder why elf teams wont play them...?
If you wanna coach and develop an elven team you simply have to be a little pichy IMHO.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

on a sidenotice: it gets extremely hard to get games for orcs, dwarfs, chaos dwarfs as well... i only get offers for my amazons and dark elves in ranked, but if you bother to check their match record (Dark elves match record, Amazons match record) you will notice that especially my dark elves tend to play bashers (and successful at that).

Oh, and there was someone complaining that cherrypicking gets worse the higher the Coch Rating. IMO coach rating is about nothing, the stuff that matters is S K I L L ! ! !
So a coach that has peaked his coach rating by playing his woodies against other woodies shows has successfully proven that he is able to outrun, outluck his opponent, but not that he could compete against all the races.

Pointless I know, but I always say it again Wink

BTW, did you know that "kill" is part of the word "skill"???

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

yes i did

4 letter words are easy

challenge me!!!!
Optihut

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
and yes, i have played ppl out to destroy my team, and at the end of the day, who cares? they are just some pixels on the screen playing looney tune sounds that get beaten up!

A very zen-like attitude. I'd rather follow words of wisdom made in Hollywood (Ghostdog, hated the movie, but some lines were good): "Matters of great concern should be treated lightly. Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."

In that spirit, those pixels do matter Wink
origami

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:
Oh, and there was someone complaining that cherrypicking gets worse the higher the Coch Rating. IMO coach rating is about nothing, the stuff that matters is S K I L L ! ! !

I can't speak for any other high ranking coaches, but I can tell you that the only cherry picking that I do is to avoid teams that are designed to destroy mine. This does mean that my elven teams do tend to play a high percentage of other elves, but there's also a good mix of other races. Since I'm hardly alone in avoiding those teams, it means that CR is dependent upon more than just cherrypicking - there's definitely skill involved.

More often than not, I end up accepting challenges, rather than making ones of my own, so, if anything, other people are cherrypicking me. I also don't bother checking CR before playing game - so I'm not purposefully preying on newbies. In fact, a few times others have challenged me along with a statement that they are new or are "probably going to lose." In those cases, I send them elsewhere - games against newbies are dull for me and frustrating for them.

From personal experience playing some of the higher ranked coaches, I can tell you that there is a huge difference in skill between them and the average player. They just don't make mistakes. Try playing one of MaxBLB's orc teams sometime - his cages are flawless (even when they look open), he never runs out of patience, and you will lose.
Lazerus101

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

At the end of the day theres a simple reason for this. If a bashy team has a bad game against an agility team they lose the game badly. If am agility team has a bad game against a bashy team it can be the end of that teams career.
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Lazerus101 wrote:
At the end of the day theres a simple reason for this. If a bashy team has a bad game against an agility team they lose the game badly. If am agility team has a bad game against a bashy team it can be the end of that teams career.

Hear ye! Hear ye!
Sad but very very true.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I play my teams until they die, or lose all players of interest.

My soft teams die faster, and my bashers stay. Hence I have more bashers, because I create as many agile as bashing teams.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to load your team up with Claw/RSC/MB/DP in order to inflict some Cas on other bashy teams, fine. Don't expect an Elf coach to accept your offer. That holds true to Skaven as well for the most part. Load up on whatever skills can get your less than mediocre team ahead of the game. Am I a Cherry Picker for saying this...NO. Do you think you can best an Elf team with your Orcs at 11 v 11 for all 16 turns...You Shouldn't.
 Jump to: