20 coaches online • Server time: 04:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dravaal

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mindwright and I, after seeing each others teams decided that rather than be counter-productive and work against each other, we'd combine our thoughts on the matter.

Halfling Professionals

While the Halflings are lured to the Blood Bowl field only by the culinary magnetism of a Master Chef, a few such coaches have made an effort to recruit small folk with talents useful on the field.

0-2 True Pros 5 2 3 8 Dodge, Stunty (GA) 70k
0-2 Stoutboys 5 3 2 8 Block, Stunty (AS) 70k
0-2 Tallfellows 6 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Sure Hands (AP) 60k
0-2 Hairfeet 6 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Sure Feet (A) 60k
0-1 Kicker 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Kick, Stunty (A) 50k
0-12 Lineman 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty (A) 30k

Re-Rolls: 50k
Halfling Chef: Yes, but no extra ingredients

Fluff:
Blood bowl has been around for a long time, as have halfling teams, however the little known halfling kingdom of Piehaven has lived in peaceful bliss on an island near Ulthuan. That is until they discovered Blood Bowl.

Piehaven's chief ambassador Lord Geoffery Brunch the 4th was on a diplomatic visit to Ulthuan when he was invited to a game of bloodbowl, which was previously unbeknownst to them. Lord Brunch was so delighted by what he saw that day that he took the game back to Piehaven with the intent of making bloodbowl a national sport. He convinced King Marcus Piehaven to visit Ulthuan with him to watch a game. King Marcus loved it, and on his return announced there would be a tournament held in his honour for the new sport. Of course, the Piehavenites had one disadvantage when compared to traditional hafling teams - They had no access to Treemen. Undeterred they eagerly anticipated the tournament as Teams were assembled to contest for the prize (Free pies for a year).

Lord Brunch however had gone back to Ulthuan once more, however he also took with him a group of bloodbowl enthusiasts. For weeks he trained his halflings with leading elven teams and then returned to Piehaven for the tournament. His team was not required to play until the second day of the tourney, and a day went by with much merriment and a lot of poor play. The second day of the tourney dawned and Lord Brunch revealed his team. Brunch's Blood Bowlers marched onto the field like a professional unit, and the crowd was stunned as they walked all over the opposition team, Lord Brunch himself playing! The rest, as they say, is history. Brunch's Blood Bowlers went on to win the tournament easily, claiming the pies, and then went on to play Elven teams, then further, taking their unique halfling style of play all over the world. Piehaven however hadn't seen enough of bloodbowl, and quickly professional teams sprouted up all over the Kingdom, leading eventually to one of the most professional leagues in the old world.

Piehaven now produces many high quality professional halfling teams as they make their bid for being the best Bloodbowl players in the world!

Linemen: Many young halflings dream of playing bloodbowl, and most of them end up being the bog standard Lineman. There is honour to be had here however, as it takes guts to be out there playing bloodbowl, especially as a mere halfling.

Tallfellow: Tallfellow's are the engine room of the professional halfling teams, for a stunty they can actually throw, and their ability to pick the ball up on the run delights the crowds. halflings understand that to throw the ball, first you have to pick it up!

Hairfeet: These Halflings are renowned for their speed and sureness of feet. Often champion halfling athletes, they turned to bloodbowl to prove themselves further. Others may laugh at the somewhat pedestrian pace, but don't underestimate these halflings.

Stoutboys: Stoutboys fill an important, if somewhat dangerous job on the Halfling Pro team. Being asked to stand on the front line is not every halflings dream, but the stoutboys do it with honour and distinction, not to mention a serious amount of bruising.

Kicker: Nobody knows the value of good kicking like halflings. That extra ability to place the ball where it's hardest to get is valued immensely by halflings, who even have schools especially for kickers. It's not all good though, once you've kicked it you have to chase it down...

True Pros: The halfling dream, the True Pro is rock hard where other halflings are like wheat. Extensive training and a willingness to put everything on the line are what makes the True pro, and as such their value in halfling teams is phenomenal.

Last edited by Dravaal on %b %17, %2007 - %07:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
MindWright

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 06:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Again a cooperative effort, the Halfling Professionals Star Player:

Lord Brunch MA 6 ST 4 AG 3 AV 8 Skills Block, Dodge, Leader, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Sidestep, Stunty, Sure Feet - Cost 190k
Flynn

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

this team has the same problem as many of the new stunty concepts has
STUNTY + DAUNTLESS = VERY BROKEN
even with lack of big guys that combo is way too potent, not to mention that the kicker should have dp instead of kick

Goodbye Cusi
Wukong

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Thrall wrote:
this team has the same problem as many of the new stunty concepts has
STUNTY + DAUNTLESS = VERY BROKEN
even with lack of big guys that combo is way too potent, not to mention that the kicker should have dp instead of kick

Even though stunty+dauntless is powerfull it's not "broken". Besides, only the true pros may take dauntless and only on a double!

And why the hell should the kickers have dirty player instead of kick?
No halfling should have dp in my oppinion (doesn't fit for fluff reasons)!

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

drop 1 point of av for all
peikko

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

As every team this may have some potential too through playtesting and some changes but what it offers to stunty? its mostly just team where couple players have some basic skills to start with?
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2005 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Why are the linemen just flings with +1 av for the same price as normal flings? On top of that you have 9 positionals which is way to many imo as you will only have to field 2 linemen. I think i've said this before but kick is way to good to be a starting skill.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2005 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Why did we give the standard linemen one extra armour?
Well, for starters, we felt that whilst already overpriced, and then losing TRS, our flings had to have something else going for them. As this team are meant to be Professionals, we felt that they would be better equipped/armoured than standard flings, and felt that the av 7 tied in well with the theme we were working with.

What does it offer to stunty? A team without big guys, a chance to play halflings without just resorting to the tree throwing the fling? A passing game in stunty?

What would you suggest we do to change the format of the team? Give stoutboys S access perhaps?

I still fail to see how kick is way too good to be a starting skill. What surprises me is that I hardly ever see it, yet hear its too powerful, no-one has ever explained to me why they think its too powerful. Sure, you can place the ball with a little more certainty, but, if the opposition is not prepared to deal with that then I think it's their own fault.

As for 9 positionals, even if we hypothetically drop the kicker, that leaves us with 8. Still too many? Well, looking at all teams it looks like 8 is the way to go, notable exceptions being Orcs who won't have to field a single lineman.

Cheers for the feedback, keep those suggestions coming Smile
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2005 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd also suggest removing block from the true pros. The will get skills quick enough let them develope into good players instead of starting that way. I'd suggest giving the stout boys armor 8 instead of the pros also. Maybe a little skill swaping between the pros and the stats. Stout boys with 4 3 3 8 dodge, stunty (S) and then the pros as 6 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty (G,A). Change the prices to of course but it would make the two positions more fluffly imo. I think the linemen should be 40k, they are pros after all shouldn't they expect to get paid more?

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Duly noted, we actually considered taking block off the pro's. hmmm, will discuss with Mindwright.
hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2005 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Dravall and MindWright- please let me know if you are planning on having this team take the place of the Halfling Positionals and Halfling Pros in the Stunty Compendium. If so, please make a .html roster and e-mail it to me, along with the fluff.

Thanks,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't been able to contact Mindwright as of yet, but am attempting to do so!
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Dravaal wrote:
Why did we give the standard linemen one extra armour?
Well, for starters, we felt that whilst already overpriced, and then losing TRS, our flings had to have something else going for them. As this team are meant to be Professionals, we felt that they would be better equipped/armoured than standard flings, and felt that the av 7 tied in well with the theme we were working with.

Standard Halfling: 5/2/3/6, Dodge/RS/Stunty, 30k
Standard Goblin: 6/2/3/7, Dodge/RS/Stunty, 40k
Standard Pro Halfling: 5/2/3/7. Dodge/Stunty, 30k

Losing a skill you can't ever use is no loss at all. If the client can handle it, I think the better bet is to have the pro halflings cost 35k, to split the difference between the standard halfling and standard goblin.

Also, I think that the true pros need to lose stunty. Are there any other ST3 players with stunty? At 5/3/3/8, they are almost equal to a dwarf runner. Plus, getting gen and str access makes their purpose different, so I think it prudent to take away the stunty.

IMHO, of course.
Dravaal

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I can definitely see why they should lose stunty after playing around with some gnomes. Those daredevils are handy!

And, I can't see why the client couldn't handle 35000.

Last edited by Dravaal on %b %16, %2005 - %15:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Wizard

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

i definetly think the Halfs need redoing after being screwed by TakeRoot and no G access for the trees..