52 coaches online • Server time: 17:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is it OK to crowdpush?
Sure, anytime!
47%
 47%  [ 136 ]
Yes, unless you do it on turn 16
51%
 51%  [ 150 ]
No, it's just bad sportsmanship
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 289

Vellian

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everybody.

In a recent game, I managed to crowdpush one of my opponent's key players near the end of the first half. He seemed rather upset about it (even though it was just a BH), so my question to you all are: is it ok to crowdpush?
trialbyfire

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it is a perfectly fine tactic. Yes it does hurt but it's part of the game. This said I hate coaches that have to crowd push after the game is already over because they want to hurt your team.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

upset=whine.

you play good so you know that beeing near line is dangerous. That's way things goes.
Mully

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Polls that have been done before a thousand times (see search feature above - a very handy tool)

a) boring or
b) really frigging annoying

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Polls that have been done before a thousand times (see search feature above - a very handy tool)

a) boring or
b) really frigging annoying

Despite using the search tool and spending some time manually looking through the threads, I couldn't find a poll on the subject. Besides, most things have already been discussed at least once. So should we just stop posting all together?

Also, it's your choice which discussions to read and post in. If you dislike the subject, don't open the thread.

Anyway, it seems most of you agree with me that crowdpushing is OK. Glad to see it - I would hate to give up such a useful tactic!
origami

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Vellian wrote:

Also, it's your choice which discussions to read and post in. If you dislike the subject, don't open the thread.

People seem to forget this all too frequently.

In regards to crowd pushing, if I place a player next to the sidelines, I expect my opponent to try for a crowd push - I would do the same if I had the chance. It's like fouling - it upsets some people, and it shouldn't be done excessively, but it's part of the game.

Last edited by origami on %b %06, %2005 - %18:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
thesquig

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

origami wrote:
Vellian wrote:

People seem to forget this all too frequently.

In regards to crowd pushing, if I place a player next to the sidelinrs, I expect my opponent to try for a crowd push - I would do the same if I had the chance. It's like fouling - it upsets some people, and it shouldn't be done excessively, but it's part of the game.

I totally agree with every part of that post. Smile

JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The difference between fouling and crowdpushing is just this, imho:

If I foul you, there's nothing you can do about it, or very little. If I repeatedly foul you, I can break your team with no real fault by your part. Foulingis a part of the game, but basically I do not like it because there's nothing I can do about it except a) not foul at all and hope in the Ref, or b) foul back myself.

Crowdpushing is different. If I crowdpush one of your players it IS your fault. You either were brave or stupid, but you CAN prevent your players to be sent off or injured this way. You just need to pay attention.

This is enough to mark an important difference, and this is why I do not really like fouling but I never complain if my opponent menages to crowdpush one of my players. Because it is my fault if he can.

I voted "valid tactic unless it is turn 16", just because I hate unnecessary actions taken just to break the opponent's team. A Turn 16 pushback to crowd unnecessary to perform a TD or something "worth it" is just plain evil and only morons may love it.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %06, %2005 - %18:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Crowdpushing on turn 16 is the same as fouling on turn 16: it's a purely team destroying maneuvre that has no impact upon tactical considerations, and should therefore be viewed as such. The attempt to harm a team, pure and simple.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't like getting crowd pushed stay in the middle of the pitch

sheesh!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

...or just take sidestep and stand firm Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair enough i dont have to read this but i still think there should be an archive section for "done to death" topics, fouling part of the game anyone???

means that all the relevant/irrelevant stuff can go in there and you cant make new topics, just read only and would help stop all these etiquette threads. PLay however you want, with over 15,000 coaches here you are bound to find someone who likes your style!

Sheesh!
origami

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
Fair enough i dont have to read this but i still think there should be an archive section for "done to death" topics, fouling part of the game anyone???

Part of the reason why Vellian posted this was in order to have a discussion. You can't have an active discussion by reading posts that are years old. Think of it as part of the social/fun/gettin'-to-know-you part of fumbbl. Plus, if somebody posts about how much they love fouling every turn or crowd pushing on turn 16 then you know to avoid that player.

That said, I think that there may be a legimate reason to crowd push at the end of the game (not that I would do it). People shouldn't run their players into the endzone in hopes of receiving a last minute pass with the expectation that they won't get crowd pushed if it fails. The chance of getting crowd pushed might make them reconsider doing such a risky thing in the first place, thus changing the course of the game.

When I talk about crowd pushing excessively, I mean more in the "beating a corpse" sense of things. If a coach has already had 3 players niggled and two killed during your game, you might consider avoiding further fouls/crowd pushes/excessive blocks. I know that in those situations, I've always appreciated when people have had some mercy on me.
Frantisek

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Crowd pushing bad sportsmanship?
Unlike fouling, crowd pushing is a sure way to get an opposing player off of the field.
Since when is gaining a tactical advantage of removing an opposing teams player from the field anything but good coaching?
Last time I checked, there were rules against fouling. The refs dont have any problem with crowd pushing.
Get em off the field and let the crowd decide their fate.

TRUST NO ONE!
SERVE FRIEND COMPUTER!
Frantisek

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2005 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Good for you Origami,

Who cares if a general topic has been discussed 9 years ago?
Not all of us really have the time to perform hours and hours of research in order to see if someone has brought up the subject before.
If anyone is tired of reading posts on fouling, crowd pushing, etc.....just dont read the posts that indicate that that specific subject is going to be discussed.

TRUST NO ONE!
SERVE FRIEND COMPUTER!
 Jump to: