45 coaches online • Server time: 17:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
littleoctagon

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I here you on the luck/unluck position. Yet just like those little hand-held poker (or blackjack, yahtzee, etc) video games, java blood bowl has to have some sort of algorithm that does it's best to mimic "random". In playing table-top BB, in some games, I have never seen as many one's, skulls, and/or pushbacks for my team and as many knock-downs, knock-outs, injuries, and other successes for the other team-EVER. And to prove that I am not just full of sour grapes, I have seen it work on my behalf too. I can't remember which game it was, but I had one coach nearly frothing at the mouth and gibbering with insane disbelief in a match where it seemed, I could not fail a roll. Makes me think I should make some sort of spread-sheet or checklist and start checking probability-would probably show that some games go beyond luck, some games might be screwed by the program from the very start. But THAT could just be sour grapes, heh
public_Bob

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

is it just me or does it seem that when you gfi it is more like a 5+ roll than a 2+? Seriously when compared to all other rolls i see way more failed rerolled failed gfis than anything else, both in my favour and against me. Seriously i am nervious trying to go for it even if i am not holding the ball and i have sure feet and a spare reroll!

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends what you are GFI-ing for. If it's the game winning TD GFI into the endzone, then yes. There is a -4 modifier on the dice roll for that
origami

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 02:56 Reply with quote Back to top

littleoctagon wrote:
In playing table-top BB, in some games, I have never seen as many one's, skulls, and/or pushbacks for my team and as many knock-downs, knock-outs, injuries, and other successes for the other team-EVER.

People tend to play more games on fumbbl than they ever manage on tabletop. More games means that you are more likely to see those extremes of luck. I imagine that if somebody played 500 tabletop games, they would see plenty of what you are describing.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I've only played a few table-top games but in them I have managed to see luck just as bad as anything on FUMBBL. In my very first game I actually managed to fail almost every single GFI - even with RR. Stopped me from GFI for quite a while. People are just paranoid and the fact that they have something else to blame than themselves concerning the way the dice go just adds to this feeling.

If you don't believe it there is a log-file for all your games that show how many rolls of each kind has been made in each game. Just can't remember where it is...
zredna

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I once played a TT game where we tyed to pick up the ball for 4 turns he a sure hand dwarf runner, and I managed to send down a DE blizer after he missed for 2 turns so the extreams happen in TT as well. It was a total of 12 rolles of one and two to pick upp the ball. One in a million chanse but it can happen.
Zredna
AWAD

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Dys wrote:
I've played bloodbowl quite a lot against mainly one friend, who is far too lucky for a fair game but aside from his bonus jam, I have such evil luck I can only assume the above. Bloodbowl in some gestalt form has a distinct dislike of me.

I'm starting to feel paranoid. :s

For me it is failing all the easy pushes and dodges that kills me. Skills or RR, does not matter, need 2+ fail em both. Then some point in the game, and usally once, GR blitzes with 3 negative dice go all BANG/POW, or Hail Mary that deviates onto another, or fumble that ends up in my hands with 4 TZs around. My jaw and the oppeneant drops, then we see me blow the simple crap that gets me in these freaking jams anyway.

It is the amount of SI and deaths against me that just blows my mind in this leauge. It seems I am way ahead of the 1 in 36 death count for failed armor rolls.

AWAD- Screw Nuffle and the Dark Lords, no more sacrifices from me, Guido is my new man
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything in blood bowl is a 50/50 proposition, so I'm not sure what all the whining is about. You go into every dice roll knowing either you're going to fail or make it. My AG5 elf is either going to make this dodge (2+) or fail (1). Two choices, two outcomes. 50/50 shot.

I'm still calling for a "throw the dice out the window" button on the client.
nportela

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Farinroderel wrote:
Dys wrote:
Shame he died on the first turn, leaving my team weaker after the match than before.

FYI: He died during your opponent's second turn.

BAH!!! trying to fool us?? so he died only in your opponent 2nd turn..and you were complaining!!!

Razz
Dys

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, hell, I don't remember things that well. It was one of the first things that happened is all I remember.
Since then I've played a number of games with a variety of teams and it's reminded me the feeling is mutual.
Bloodbowl just annoys the hell out of me.
Sure, I'm not that good a coach, but even the best must despair when you just can't do anything right, no matter what.
As for how random the game is, I don't know, though it would be interesting to compile statistics, or rather have the game do it automatically. Chances of success vs actual success is the key ratio.
Computers can generate random numbers from white noise, making sure the results are truly random, but I don't know how the bbclient does it.
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a game were I was having one dice pows while my opponent was losing his players on double and triple skulls Razz

edit: who wants to play with me?

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I once had a halfling player die................
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

He was trying to block an ogre on his own...............
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

How unlucky is that?
Dys

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm, -3 dice. Assuming no skills, his chances of hurting himself were 1/3 on each dice, av5 is 29/36 chance of injury, 3/36 chance of death for a stunty player, don't think halflings get any more injury pluses than that...

0.047 chance of death. About 1/20 I believe.

Of course whether or not you believe that to be unlucky is entirely a matter of choice. If he'd tried it more than once he'd be an idiot but I think he had an ok chance of surviving...
Certainly better than russian roulette. Smile

p.s. If anyone feels like correcting the result, feel free, I won't take offense.
 Jump to: