55 coaches online • Server time: 20:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
littleoctagon

Post 22 Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone,

You know what's dangerous? Calling someone a cheater with out proof is dangerous. Not only is it unfair, but it reduces us to school children playing out he said/ she (females play blood bowl?) said, which is silly. Yet how to prove someone is a cheater, and how could they cheat in java blood bowl?

What I'm talking about here is those coaches who experience a series of rather convenient disconnects or crashes during the course of play. You know what I'm talking about, the crucial play has just happened, and then you having to reload to before that crucial play...it gets aggravating.

Yeah, yeah, I know that according to the rules one is supposed to reload and replay so that the exact results occur as they happened before the crash/disconnect, but after several crashes (not to mention replaying to reproduce the same results) this can become more than a bit frustrating. But what to do about it?

Part of me thinks that having some way to report and list (with admin verification) crashes/disconnects that happened during a game (without malicious intent and without blame to either coach) would be useful. This way, on a coach listing, if they have twenty games with twenty disconnects, well, do you really want to play that coach? Yet if you have twenty games with three disconnects, and linking to the other coach shows that he/she has disconnects/crashes almost equal to the number of games played, it would show that most likely, you are not to blame.

And if a person shows an inordinate amount of disconnects/crashes, should admin boot the person? Should they receive some sort of warning? Should you just consider that forewarned is forearmed?

Anyway, thanks for your time and any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
public_Bob

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

i feel ur pain on this matter as it is sometimes impossible to recreate the spectacular play you just completed in order to secure the match... but we have to give the benefit of the doubt to those of us with unreliable internet connections. (And no i am not one of them)

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll soon learn who these players are and you'll soon learn to avoid them. They are the same people that play any pc game and save at regular intervals if a battle/game/scenario goes against them they will reload and pretend it didn't happen.

A coach rating might be a good idea but even that might be abused, unless you could appeal if someone gave you one (so to speak)
Wizard

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Its to open to abuse to have a rating system regarding disconnects.
The best way to deal with it, is save there name into a text file and never play them again.
Thats what i've done.

Also, ALWAYS tell an admin - im not sure what they do with the info, but if admins get enough complaints about the same guy over and over, there liable to do something about it.

But yeah, its frustrating and you cant do much about it...

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't you set up a list on a free website yourself? I would gladly report all incidents to you of the 'convenient' disconnecting kind.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

this thing has been discussed several times in this forum.. always the same outcome.. too much hassle and way too much potential for abuse and misinterpretation that do not justify the little use of such a list.. as wizard said.. always report game droppings to the admins if the other coach doesn't reapear in time.. such things are not dealt in public to avoid any kind of witchhunting on this site but every gamedropper is taken care of and appropriate measures are taken...

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Without being too bitter; I have experienced firsthand that not always appropriate measures are taken.
(at least; none visible to me)

I have no blacklist but created a special black number one for him.

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Dooby wrote:
They are the same people that play any pc game and save at regular intervals if a battle/game/scenario goes against them they will reload and pretend it didn't happen.

Must be nice not to have to buy a new copy of the PC game every time your player/party/whatever gets killed eh? I'll have to try out this 'save at regular intervals' strategy... Shocked

Er...anyway...
Just report it to the admins if they disconnect and won't continue per the disconnection section on the Rules page people with a habit of this will eventually be dealt with. I've had one highly HIGHLY suspiscious disconnect myself (I forget what, something like a great player got niggled or killed), but fortunately I was able to get back on line in a few minutes and continune with the injury...and if the injury hand't been saved I would have retired the player. Disconnects can happen at the most 'convenient' times even unintentionally.

Just whatever happens, no matter how embittered you are, please do not go whining about it or naming names in the public IRC channel...this sort of activity is counterproductive even if the coach in question is a flagrant cheater! Just report it and feel sorry for the sort of loser who values his pixels so much he'd stoop to cheating to save them...
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Yet another reason to Direct connect...The .inc flies (saved after every player's action I believe) are pretty much useless when playing on the proxy...

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

*paulhicks hands round the pitch forks and blazing torches
BURN THE HERETICS

ive been on fumbbl for a while now and and have played 332 ranked games. about 300 of them have been realy cool or at least decent coaches. about 32 have been whinners or otherwise irritating (neither of which are against the rules) and exactly 0 have had suspicious disconnects or have otherwise broken any gaming rules. a few have been offensive and abusive but even then only 2 to the point where i had to report it. i may just be lucky and be avoiding all the cheaters that everyone else seems to think are rampant or this may be another thing blown out of all perportion.
in fact i spec a lot of games too and only once have i seen cheating then (someone asking to restart the game cuz a player had died and saying it was ok cuz he did it all the time) and it was properly reported and dealt with (although the person is still here).
Of course the admins cant just ban somone because 1 person says " i think he cheated" etc because then every person who i kill one of their players could do it to me but rest assured that the admins do keep lists and repeat offenders are dealt with.
if you realy feel the need to keep a black list then do so but the idea of a public name and shame is laughable.
Most disconections are genuine and can even happen at a suspicious time for real reasons.

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

GorTeX wrote:
Yet another reason to Direct connect...The .inc flies (saved after every player's action I believe) are pretty much useless when playing on the proxy...

Yup the saves seem to be more consistent with direct connect
 Jump to: