42 coaches online • Server time: 13:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

One of my teams were refused earlier this week because of the name I chose. I knew it was sketchy before I put it in, but I thought there was a chance it might fly. It went through once, but when I decided to change divisions, and it was disallowed the second time. "Bitches of Eastwick." I understand why the name was disallowed, because of the word Bitch. But I know there are worse team names out there? I have ran accross a couple, but I won't list the lucky bastards who got them through, for the chance to rain on thier parade.

My question is; Is it the judgement/ opinion of the approver to let a team name slide? Since it went through once already, I can only guess it is this way. I would like to be one of the approvers just to see some of the doozies that people try and get by. There must be way worse attempts than mine. Just as mine was, Amazons have got to be the worst. Anyways not complaining, just curious.

Jeffro
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Type the word W**k**s into the find team or coach box (without the *'s) and it throws back 13 teams and that IMO is a far worse word than bitch.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules are like they are now becuase some people got abit "creative" with the names, especially amazons. However the varying tolerance of the admins do cause rather weird results from time to time. I had one team named after that Ben Stiller movie where he got has to meet his step parents (meet my folks?) and I played 15 games (some against admins/approval monkeys) before the team suffered alot of censoring http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=51359

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

LT, if those names offend you, link them here. They will be looked at.

Z
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh no I started a witch hunt.

Jeffro
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

We try to put a certain level of standard on the team names we allow. But there are always some approvers that got not briefed well enough it seems. But everytime i notice someone allowing teams that should not go through i give em a good club upside the head and make em fix their mistake before nailing their arse down to make em read the approval-howto again. There can always slip a swearword through from time to time, since we get tons of teams to approve every day and most people are rather bitchy if they have to wait. But if you get offended by a name let us know and we will take appropriate measures.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I never said they were offensive to me. I'm southern we use worse names than those as a term of endearment. I just said that in my opinion it was a worse swear word than bitch.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Type the word W**k**s into the find team or coach box (without the *'s) and it throws back 13 teams and that IMO is a far worse word than bitch.

I guess that depends on what part of the world you live in. Where I live, that word is not nearly as offenseive as bi*ch. I guess because it is not used nearly as much.

I think it all comes down to admin judgement and sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. Monkey's get called on it every now and then if they approve innappropriate names. I also think we have become a little stricter so the "bad" names may have been done a long time ago.

I think the real problem is that NEW player names dont need to get approved. So I could create a team of players as above the last name of lets say "Folks" and as they die/retire replace them with players with the last name of "F**kers". Unless an admin happens to come across them or another coach reports them, they will go unnoticed.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Im still confused on what word that was. W**k**s ?

Jeffro
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I got it. Not used much where Im from.

Jeffro
Sinner

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

did anyone consider that "bitch" also says "female dog". The same as gay can mean happy...

So I guess "doggystyle bitches" would be offending but also quite okay if you think in normal terms. Unfortunately the time we live in has so many ppl that intentionally misinterpret those words. On the other hand there is no real age restriction on this site, so keep it friendly and don't use names like the one I mentioned...

Sorry if it is a bit strange, but I lost my idea somewhere in the middle and I'm too lazy to read over it again, wtf.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

How does one get to be an approver? Do you just throw a rock in the air, and who ever says "ouch" is appointed?

Jeffro
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i remember i was going to have to play a team with an IRA theme with IRA hungerstrikers/prisoners as players in a tourney. This may seem ok for some of you but it isnt when you know innocent people killed by some of those monsters! Smile The team was deleted as far as im aware

Rob
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's unfortunate that we even need to have approval rules. Unfortunately, making a rule (such as the original "No Lineman 1, Lineman 2, etc..." rule) is an endorsement and implied approval of everything else.

Even if that was the only rule in the book and people actually read it (which they frequently don't), you'd still end up with people submitting "Lineman A, Lineman B, etc..." or the cunning ones who name their players Uno, Dos, Tres, etc...

Whenever people are given a limitation, their first instinct is to push against it. It's a wonderful thing in many instances, but not all.

keggiemckill (my emphasis) wrote:
...I knew it was sketchy before I put it in, but I thought there was a chance it might fly. ... I understand why the name was disallowed, because of the word Bitch...

Ah, here's the real question:

If you know it was sketchy and you understand why it would be rejected, then why did you submit it? There's a rule. It's simple. You know very well exactly what that rule means. Yet you saw the need to push it. Why?

ps. The questions are rhetorical, really, although I wouldn't mind seeing what you have to say on it. Might be interesting. Also, I'm not trying to attack or blame you for anything other than human nature, Keggie... you simply had a convenient quote for me to run with. No offense intended.

keggiemckill wrote:
How does one get to be an approver? Do you just throw a rock in the air, and who ever says "ouch" is appointed?

There was a thread a short time ago asking for people who wanted to help out. Click on the "staff" link and contact the approval manager for your appropriate language - that's Trog for us English-speakers.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually didn't originally think it was going to be an issue. In after thought I saw my flaws. It isn't that bad of a word where I am from. It is used frequently on the T.V. and Radio. I am not sure about the rest of the world, but we Canadians let alot of things fly where other might not. For example Gay marraiges. No biggie. I guess thats where some teams might be allowed to go through. Difference of opinions.

Jeffro
 Jump to: